Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Role of the Lich King

As a die-hard fanboy of Arthas and the Lich King, I'm deeply disappointed. First, Bolvar is presented as a weak husk that cannot be compared to Arthas. Peak Arthas would simply cut Sylvanas in half or freeze her before she would even come close to him.
    Second thing - the build up. The Lich King entity, tied to Ner'zhul, was very mysterious. We know that Ner'zhul tried to merge with Arthas and Arthas didn't allow him to, but his soul was still present inside the helmet. When Bolvar took up the helmet, we didn't know anything about what's going on inside of his head. What about Ner'zhul? Did the fallen shaman merge with Bolvar? Did he corrupt Bolvar? Did Bolvar banish him just as Arthas did?
    All that could be, could have been, was torn apart just like Helm of Domination. All that build up leads to nothing... but does it?
    On the panel, Ion said that in Shadowlands, we're going to experience the world as it is without the Lich King. But okay, Terenas said that there must always be a Lich King. That didn't really make sense in the literal meaning of these words, but we had multiple theories - did Lich King corrupt these spirits just to survive? Did he want to manipulate us so he would stay alive, inside a new host?
    It turns out that Terenas was for real, but apparently 'restless scourge' was retconned and now it's about the barrier between two worlds. Without the Lich King, the barrier apparently falls, but... why? Like, wasn't Lich King an orc shaman that was destined to prepare Azeroth for Burning Legion invasion using his death magic? Ner'zhul didn't keep any barrier intact, neither did Arthas. And what about time before the Lich King? Before Kil'Jaeden trusted Ner'zhul inside an icy prison to Azeroth? There was never a Lich King until that.

If my boy Arthas was still alive, he would cut that banshee bitch in half without any ceremonials.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    If my boy Arthas was still alive, he would cut that banshee bitch in half without any ceremonials.
    I wouldn't be that sure. Lich King Arthas was powerful, but never really in the top of the top category of powerful in WoW when it comes to one on one battle. Keep in mind that canonically, Lich King, at his full power, would still lose to Lei Shen in a 1v1. Said Lei Shen had to take 30 days to defeat Xu'en, a Wild God. Sure, Lei Shen might have been more powerful than any Wild God or Keeper in a one on one, but given that it took him so long, it's unlikely that he was that much more powerful (in comparison, Archimonde killed Marlorne in moments). Seeing that Lich King Arthas is less powerful than that, he wasn't that far ahead of everyone. Sylvanas has been getting stronger as well - while Arthas is more powerful than Bolvar, I wouldn't be too sure that he would be able to defeat current Sylvanas.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

5+ Year Old Account
    Bolvar is presented as a weak husk that cannot be compared to Arthas.
    I'm not surprised, as he inherited the remnants of the scourge and the LK's power.
    Peak Arthas would simply cut Sylvanas in half or freeze her before she would even come close to him.
    Sylvanas is empowered by a new force that has elevated her greatly. She was powerful enough to hold and destroy the crown with her bare hands. I don't think Arthas would've been enough against this version of her.

As for the rest, we'll find out soon. I have some similar questions I hope get answered.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Bolvar never funneled souls through himself though, the reason Arthas was so powerful was because of Frostmourne and the souls inside it. Bolvar as far as I know has never taken a soul. Sylvanas has been funneling souls to her master Mueh'zala the Titan of Death for some time, that is why she is as powerful as she is now.

if you a fan of Arthas why do you care about bitch king Bolvar getting owned ?

I prefer the crown being destroyed over anyone but Arthas wearing it

There's absolutely holes in the plot, such as the time before the LK and what not. Pretty sure they'll try to explain it eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

why? The whole point of the crown was to control the scourge, all undeath, and maintain it so it doesn't go out of control. And Bolvar apparently was doing just that since we haven't had a scourge invasion since wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    There's absolutely holes in the plot, such as the time before the LK and what not. Pretty sure they'll try to explain it eventually.
    this is what happens in comic books all the time. Writers will establish something like a universal law in a comic book at once stage. Then said writers stop working on the comics, and new writers come in, upending the status quo and changing what was previously established.

All this shows is a lack of respect for what came before, as we are seeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    why? The whole point of the crown was to control the scourge, all undeath, and maintain it so it doesn't go out of control. And Bolvar apparently was doing just that since we haven't had a scourge invasion since wrath.
    because Arthas had a fantastic LK story in WC3 + TFT

Bolvar is rando nobody more or less, not worthy of the title, noone except Arthas is

also you know the scourge can be KILLED, right ? it doesnt regenerate or anything ..

They’re turning the Helm of Domination into something that it has no right being. The Lich King is a fucking orc shaman. That’s it. However, most on Azeroth just so happened to be weaker than him.

That’s besides the point that Bolvar was built up to be this really cool chaotic neutral character in Legion and to see him lose so fucking easily is so dumb.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    seems like all you "diehard" fans of Arthas as Lich King and haters of bolvar forgot that almost all of Arthas power came from Frostmourne which Bolvar has no access because ya there is no Frostmourne to wield anymore .... the Helm is just there to keep the Scourge in check and that was Bolvars sole job.. without Frostmourne Sylvanas would have done the same to Arthas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Bolvar never funneled souls through himself though, the reason Arthas was so powerful was because of Frostmourne and the souls inside it. Bolvar as far as I know has never taken a soul. Sylvanas has been funneling souls to her master Mueh'zala the Titan of Death for some time, that is why she is as powerful as she is now.
    Is Mueh'zala a Titan? I didn't think he was, as far as I know, he's the Sandfury Troll's Loa of Death.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    As a die-hard fanboy of Arthas and the Lich King, I'm deeply disappointed. First, Bolvar is presented as a weak husk that cannot be compared to Arthas. Peak Arthas would simply cut Sylvanas in half or freeze her before she would even come close to him.
    Second thing - the build up. The Lich King entity, tied to Ner'zhul, was very mysterious. We know that Ner'zhul tried to merge with Arthas and Arthas didn't allow him to, but his soul was still present inside the helmet. When Bolvar took up the helmet, we didn't know anything about what's going on inside of his head. What about Ner'zhul? Did the fallen shaman merge with Bolvar? Did he corrupt Bolvar? Did Bolvar banish him just as Arthas did?
    All that could be, could have been, was torn apart just like Helm of Domination. All that build up leads to nothing... but does it?
    On the panel, Ion said that in Shadowlands, we're going to experience the world as it is without the Lich King. But okay, Terenas said that there must always be a Lich King. That didn't really make sense in the literal meaning of these words, but we had multiple theories - did Lich King corrupt these spirits just to survive? Did he want to manipulate us so he would stay alive, inside a new host?
    It turns out that Terenas was for real, but apparently 'restless scourge' was retconned and now it's about the barrier between two worlds. Without the Lich King, the barrier apparently falls, but... why? Like, wasn't Lich King an orc shaman that was destined to prepare Azeroth for Burning Legion invasion using his death magic? Ner'zhul didn't keep any barrier intact, neither did Arthas. And what about time before the Lich King? Before Kil'Jaeden trusted Ner'zhul inside an icy prison to Azeroth? There was never a Lich King until that.

I'm with you on the disappointment train that Bolvar got so easily outclassed. BTW, Arthas-LK did 1v1 Sylvanas in Halls of Reflection dungeon in game....he didn't just one shot her, but Sylvanas had to retreat and said he was too powerful for her. Anyway...would have been nice if Bolvar had even slightly wounded her...maybe even caused her to be a bit out of breath...lol she walked over him like it was child's play.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Is Mueh'zala a Titan? I didn't think he was, as far as I know, he's the Sandfury Troll's Loa of Death.
    He is death itself, so ya it is him for sure.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimdeeds View Post
    I'm with you on the disappointment train that Bolvar got so easily outclassed. BTW, Arthas-LK did 1v1 Sylvanas in Halls of Reflection dungeon in game....he didn't just one shot her, but Sylvanas had to retreat and said he was too powerful for her. Anyway...would have been nice if Bolvar had even slightly wounded her...maybe even caused her to be a bit out of breath...lol she walked over him like it was child's play.
    you do realize during Halls of Reflection Sylvanas wasn't amped up but Death? and Bolvar had no Frostmourne where he could suck souls and empower himself .. im more disappointet in you guys being disappointet when u don't even understand lore even if its bad written by Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, when we kill the Super Lich King, Bolvar will get a new helmet.

No, he's not death, he's just one of million irrelevant troll loas

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You need to realise and accept that Blizzard doesn't care to nerf/buff characters on a whim depending on the narrative they wanna push. They wanted a Shadowlands expansion and a Lich King appearance to appease the masses,. Sylvanas HAD to beat him in order to push the story forward. There are many similar examples in WoW where narrative wouldn't be able to continue without senseless plot devices, or the lack of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

Pretty much this, And i think it's kinda obvious that the one true King! will return in the shadowlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess this pretty much could still bring him back:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...0#post51810070

Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    you do realize during Halls of Reflection Sylvanas wasn't amped up but Death? and Bolvar had no Frostmourne where he could suck souls and empower himself .. im more disappointet in you guys being disappointet when u don't even understand lore even if its bad written by Blizzard
    Look man, I get you. She's amped up on something...all signs are pointing to that. And, Bolvar had no Frostmourne....I get it. But it still feels valid to be disappointed that the big dude of your class (been a DK main for a long time) got owned easily.