Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Look at it this way, you might be able to take you level 18 through Freehold rather then being stuck with just Deadmines and Ragefire Chasm.
    Sounds entertaining, it increases replay on my roster of characters I suppose, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm attached at looking at a roster of 110-120 characters I spent years building up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Sounds entertaining, it increases replay on my roster of characters I suppose, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm attached at looking at a roster of 110-120 characters I spent years building up.
    The new number's will still carry the same weight tho. But now you can pick a new character and get rewards for every ding. You can also pick a continent and see it all the way through instead of outleveling everything after the 1st zone or constantly queueing for dungeons. I wonder if you can literaly queue for all dungeons now, seeing as there is no cap for entry

Doesn't remove the memories but removes the host of 80+ characters I have. lol
    No it doesn't. All of your characters will still be there. They will still be roughly the same % of the level cap. The only thing changing are the numbers are shrinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    The levels are meaningless, and Blizzard spending any amount of time squishing the levels is time that could have been better spent elsewhere. Especially given that the expansion is looking to be extremely light on features.
    Well, Ion did explain that they want every level to grant something, you can't do that with 130 levels. From a marketing standpoint as well just the number 120/130 looks too off-putting to people unfamiliar with the game systems. I agree that the expansion appears to be very light on features, but it's well within their capacity to do a level squish along with more new things. Perhaps the things he was talking about on his slides are bigger than it seems?
    I'm hoping for big class reworks to be shown on the next panel, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Why will Blizzard just wipe all the character progression and all these years just goes down the toilet. 120 to 50 is just big slap to the face and all these years feel now pointless. Why not just stat squish?
    You forgot to mention what you think character progression is or why it's lost just from changing numbers you don't ever look at.

Why will Blizzard just wipe all the character progression and all these years just goes down the toilet. 120 to 50 is just big slap to the face and all these years feel now pointless. Why not just stat squish?
    you're not losing progression. if anything, you should have your eyes opened to the fact new levels didnt progress your character at all. (hint: story + abilities progress your character - not the number of levels)

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Exactly, so the squish is pointless. This is all to appeal to people that find numbers scary.
    This, lol. The only other defense is that, if they continue to decrease the EXP to level up, we eventually will start getting a level literally every quest we turn in which is kinda silly. But we aren't there yet, and they can avoid that by just changing the EXP to level only in specific level ranges rather than an across the board reduction.

How can you be excited? I preordered the xpac and it said I'll get boost to lvl 120 and right after I heard they'll wipe 120 characters to 50. That is just big scam... they should mention it in SHOP that characters will squish to 50 so people can think twice if they'll buy the expansion.
    But I guess by not mentioning that they'll get more preorders...
    Your 120 boost is effective immediately and will translate to a 50 character (max level pre-expansion) upon the launch of an expansion. Character level is an arbitrary number and has meant literally nothing for several expansions. Remember when they only raised the level cap by 5 instead of 10? Yeah, that changed absolutely nothing about the dynamic of the game.

Speak for yourself, I wanted to level to 130. Numbers don't scare me. If the time spent playing 1-60 and 1-130 is the same amount, then the number is arbitrary, why squish it? Now if it turns out 1-60 is considerably less time spent, like half what it took to level 1-120, then they literally just wasted our time the last 10 years.
    If you aren't afraid of numbers why are you afraid of the number going backwards?

Either you think the number has no psychological effect or you are upset that the number is getting lower. It can't be both

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    This, lol. The only other defense is that, if they continue to decrease the EXP to level up, we eventually will start getting a level literally every quest we turn in which is kinda silly. But we aren't there yet, and they can avoid that by just changing the EXP to level only in specific level ranges rather than an across the board reduction.
    I think it wil make the experience better for someone that might want to pick the game up. I don't think its just about the numbers being big, its that, right now, most of them mean nothing. I lvled an alt recently and all it was was my in the darkmoonfair carrocel queueing for stuff. you get a lvl every 15min or so and most of them are pointless. Was the thing I most liked about classic. You always got something when lvling up. It was nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that annoys me is how long they took to do this. 120 levels is ludicrous for an MMO and makes leveling a brand new character feel terrible.

Now, if only they would actually follow through and not have so much power creep each expansion. We don't need each tier to be 30+ item levels, for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post
    If you aren't afraid of numbers why are you afraid of the number going backwards?

Either you think the number has no psychological effect or you are upset that the number is getting lower. It can't be both
    I'm upset it's getting lower because it feels like I literally lost levels. It may sound silly and arbitrary, and I'll concede it is if the time played 1-60 in Shadowlands ends up being the same it took 1-120 in BfA, but if it turns out 1-60 in Shadowlands is half the time played, then I literally did waste time leveling a bunch of high levels and twinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Realistically, this change has fewer negative ramifications than the stat squish, and just like this, people certainly screamed and ranted over that too. If you sit and pridefully stare at your character level at 120, I dread to think how little you've accomplished with your character/s in game. The level squish is just going to be a numerical compaction for aesthetic and peace-of-mind purposes; the amount of time and energy you put into levelling to the highest point is likely going to be exactly the same. As for the people freaking out over a 120 boost that is "going to be squished to 50 anyway" need to think logically; the squish is going to occur in 9.0 or 9.0.5, at which point if you have a pending 120 boost, it will become a level 50 boost since 120 doesn't exist any more.

The only people I could really excuse for complaining about the level squish are those who bought shirts with captions like, "I am not a nerd, I am a level 80 hunter", and other similar statements; and those poor sods had their shirts ruined every new expansion anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm upset it's getting lower because it feels like I literally lost levels. It may sound silly and arbitrary, and I'll concede it is if the time played 1-60 in Shadowlands ends up being the same it took 1-120 in BfA, but if it turns out 1-60 in Shadowlands is half the time played, then I literally did waste time leveling a bunch of high levels and twinks.
    No, you wouldn't have wasted that time. That is a backwards argument because, at the time, that's how it was.

It's kind of like saying "I bought this TV for $1000 in 2009 and now it goes for only $150! I wasted all that money!"

It sounds just like my friend who felt he got scammed because the pizza place sliced the pizza to 6 slices instead of 8.wondering If you would like it if they decided each level bar becomes a level by itself so you have 2600 lvls, which makes your boost to level 2400.
    Last edited by NaNaaru; 2019-11-02 at 05:32 AM.

If you think about it, of you lvled your chars when the expansions were relevant, you probably had to farm x3-4 times more xp then a new character to get to lvl 120 now. you can get to lvl 60 now on 1.5 kalimdor zones now.
    It wouldn't make much sence for them to shorten the xp required too. Gotta get that xp boost money.

Quote Originally Posted by kattarina View Post
    I think it wil make the experience better for someone that might want to pick the game up. I don't think its just about the numbers being big, its that, right now, most of them mean nothing. I lvled an alt recently and all it was was my in the darkmoonfair carrocel queueing for stuff. you get a lvl every 15min or so and most of them are pointless. Was the thing I most liked about classic. You always got something when lvling up. It was nice.
    I recently leveled a character too, in 8.1.5, and I enjoyed it a lot. Levels being quick felt fun to me. No, you don't always get something big, but you do every 3-5 levels which is probably the same time 1 level will take now so there's very little difference. I prefer the smaller, more frequent upgrades interspersed with larger upgrades myself though. But to each thier own.

The time to level will definitely be decreased.

The time to level from 1-60 was lower pretty much every expansion, so couldn't you make that same argument for all of them? Why level 1-60 in vanilla when you could do it much faster in TBC, Wrath, MoP, etc?

You shouldn't feel bad about the time being decreased as time goes on... what matters is the personal experience you had at the time. Did you have fun back then? That's what matters.

If they do this correctly, it will feel better to level new characters than it does right now.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    No, you wouldn't have wasted that time. That is a backwards argument because, at the time, that's how it was.

It's kind of like saying "I bought this TV for $1000 in 2009 and now it goes for only $150! I wasted all that money!"
    Apples to oranges. MMO's are symbolized by characters' progression. I play an MMO exactly as a measure of character progression. Time played = x amount of high level characters. A reboot, even a soft reboot, or in this case a "squish" trivializes time spent leveling x amount of characters to a level I wanted to achieve determined by MMO rules.

Of course I don't expect a ten year old TV to be worth the same today as the day I bought it, but I do expect the characters I leveled 5 years ago to still be the same level today in an MMO by virtue that an MMO does not get rebooted like console game progression does with sequels.

Better question to ask: Do we know how this will effect soloing older content/raids/dungeons?