gaming build request for guidance/suggestions

Looking to build gaming desktop. I'm experienced with assembly, just out of touch with the current chip sets and interface options.

I'm looking for practical power. No LED/RGB wanted unless the peripheral is the best option for that price range.

Budget - $750 (not accounting for holiday sales)
    Resolution - 1920x1080; not looking to spend for 4k
    Games / Settings Desired - Diablo 3/4 (yes, it's coming!), War Thunder; WoW;
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - none; I don't stream so likely looking for single core speed unless there is something I'm not aware of.
    Country - USA
    Parts that can be reused - NVidia GTX 1060 3gb; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; blu ray cd/dvd burner (sata)
    Do you need an OS? - no; will be using win 10
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - no

I'm willing to forgo the Cooler Master and Blu ray if there is a faster connection.

Thank you in advance for everyone's time and assistance.

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Walmart)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $625.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-31 03:48 EDT-0400

Something like this. It's a fair bit under budget, but there's really no upgrades that make sense.
    Could buy a Radeon 580, but it's not really worth spending almost 200 dollars on just for like 10-15% upgrade
    Could upgrade the CPU, but it's pointless since a 3600 will be able to get 60fps in every game at 1080p
    Could get better memory, but after 3600mhz it scales up in price super hard, but the performance stays about the same
    Could get another PSU, but 550w is perfect fine considering you'll only be drawing ~300w max
    Could get another case or more storage I guess?
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-10-31 at 07:54 AM.

Thank you very much for this very informative reply with explanations as to why choices made. I also appreciate you specifying CPU options as I was going to ask what Ryzen chip is the best value in this price range.

Now all I need to do is troll for these parts between black friday and cyber monday.

Thx again.

Only thing i might do is just save up a bit and up the budget enough to get a new GPU.

GTX 1060 3GB is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Otherwise, Temp's build is solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Only thing i might do is just save up a bit and up the budget enough to get a new GPU.

GTX 1060 3GB is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Otherwise, Temp's build is solid.
    I mean, even if he had the budget for a 580, I wouldn't suggest buying it. It's too expensive for what little upgrade he gets over his current GPU. You'd be looking at a 5700/5700xt to be worth it, or maybe the upcoming 5500/5600 series cards depending on how they work

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I mean, even if he had the budget for a 580, I wouldn't suggest buying it. It's too expensive for what little upgrade he gets over his current GPU. You'd be looking at a 5700/5700xt to be worth it, or maybe the upcoming 5500/5600 series cards depending on how they work
    Well thats why i said “step up the budget”.

I agree that with the current budget, theres little point.