Poll: Is Shadowlands the worst expac launch cinematic ever?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Shadowlands Cinematic.. Worst Expac Cinematic ever created?

After watching the Shadowlands cinematic (which has the most dislikes out of every CGI cinematic in WoW history), I rewatched all the old ones. And I gotta say, the Shadowlands one is easily the worst they've ever made. No excitement or hype. Just dogshit story telling.

So MMO-Champion bros, what's your opinion? Do you think there's a worse expac cinematic?
    Last edited by Dungo; 2019-11-02 at 08:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's spread more negativity. It's useful.
    Hi

Agreed. It was so ridiculously bad I just couldn’t believe it. That’s it? Unbelievable story with no thought behind it.

cinematic mirrors stuff going on in real life, it's pure art - love it or hate it

It was amazing. Showed it to my gf who thinks videos games are stupid, she was like ‘I don’t understand what’s going but that looks incredible’

I disagree with you on all points.
    It looked amazing, made sense lorewise*, and I enjoyed the WTF moment of Bolvar getting his ass handed to him and the helm being broken.

*yeah, I understand why a lot of people are upset. That being said, I don't share that sentiment. Here's an argument from reddit

Arthas had Ner'zhul, showing him the ropes of all this awesome power - he was essentially already a master the moment the two fused. On top of that, he had Frostmourne. That sword was the other half of the OG Lich King from creation on, containing a big part of his power. On top of that, Frostmourne was brimming with souls. That shit was supercharged.

Now contrast this with Bolvar. He's a rookie! The guy started from nothing. No second soul to merge with, nobody that showed him how all of that works, he had to figure it out all by himself. On top of that, he comparatively didn't have very long to figure out his awesome Lich King powers and even so, he was reluctant at first! Even in the cinematic, you can see him only activating the full extent of his Lich King goodness once Sylvanas appears. AND HE HAD NEITHER FROSTMOURNE, NOR THE REST OF THE LICH KINGS ARMOR, both of what the original Lich King was created with, both containing a big part of that Lich King power.

That's why Bolvar got slapped by that banshee bitch. He just wasn't Arthas.

I rest my case.
    And let's not forget that Sylvanas has made deals with Helya and an unkown, ancient and incredibly powerful entity of death. Perhaps he even gave her a few pointers about how to deal with the Lich King... those chains were no normal chains after all.
    Last edited by Lodravel; 2019-11-02 at 08:45 AM.

the crappiest one to date.

props to the art team though.

It was terrible.. started with the copy paste sylv narration.. had a shitty cut to excuse away her fighting the lich king and his army.. then shows LK power up (legit was a pointless "looks cool" moment) only to do his best D3 Leoric impersonation just doing the slowest, most telegraphed moves ever.. Oh and btw it takes like 90% of the cinematic for them to even speak to each other..

All it did was completely neuter a character a lot of people were intrigued by, make sylv as obnoxious as ever with her edgy "this world is a prison" (noticed a lot of "oh wow.. I say that about real life!!!!!" cringe), and just tear a whole in the fabric of lore itself..

I may have disliked certain expansions but I have never felt negatively about any of WoWs cinematics.. They've all given me goosebumps until now
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was good, but not as good as the D4 trailer, which was exceptional.

But art is subjective, etc. I recall people hating the MoP trailer, but now it is beloved. /shrug
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Looks very nice, kinda silly she ownd Bolvar that much, but then again, we are now told she got stronger because of death, so it make sense right? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    Was literally one of the best in my opinion.

But am I surprised that everything gets bashed from this shit community? Not really.
    So you think the Shadowlands cinematic is better than the WotLK cinematic?

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any video that lovingly apes Symphony of the Night is okay in my book. I think y'all have just taken one too many trips to the salt mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

I don't think the cinematic itself is bad. In fact, i thought it was really good as always. What happens in the cinematic definitely is though.

We're all sick and tired of Sylvanas being pushed down our throats and now as if it wasn't enough, they show her mopping the floor with one of the most iconic WoW characters. How did they think people were going to react?

The Diablo one was actually really good. I've never played a Diablo game before, but even i am excited for this one.

7+ Year Old Account
    I really disliked it. There was nothing to excite me in the cinematic. It was just boring and then just borderline offense to me. ._. So yeah, worst cinematic so far for WoW. And since these are the things that are supposed to get you hooked into a product: Yikes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sick of seeing that screaming bitch get more and more overpowered with every cinematic they release. Visually astounding as always, but man, this story is doomed. I bet the writing staff at Blizzard will find some ass-backwards way of redeeming her in the end too, just to rob me of the satisfaction of seeing her die a violent death.

The veil wanes. His crown will open the way

10+ Year Old Account
    It looked about as good as they normally do (Though the Icecrown color palette was significantly weaker than the WotLK version), but the story it was telling was nonsensical.

Even if we sidestep the awful story, it just felt flat. Bad stories can capture impressive moments (WoD's cinematic is a great example of this - awful expansion and story, great intro cinematic). Shadowlands is overly theatrical in the worst of ways, it's weak story-wise, the color palette is lackluster, etc.

Did anyone else find the Helm of Domination to look weird this time around? Specifically during the time when it goes from Bolvar to Sylvanas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I personally liked it a lot, but I understand how it's cool to hate everything when you're an edgy gamer /shrug
    I understand how it's cool to not ask questions and get excited for next products when you're a Blizzdrone /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Dungo View Post
    After watching the Shadowlands cinematic (which has the most dislikes out of every CGI cinematic in WoW history), I rewatched all the old ones. And I gotta say, the Shadowlands one is easily the worst they've ever made. No excitement or hype. Just dogshit story telling.

So MMO-Champion bros, what's your opinion? Do you think there's a worse expac cinematic?
    Oh, my sweet summer child. You seem to forget that the MoP trailer had more dislikes than likes on YouTube when it was first announced

The WoW community is infamous for shitting on something when it doesn’t go their way

I expected something better, but to call it "dogshit" is immature and simply wrong. Plot was fine, the problem for me was that the action part, the duel, felt a bit too slow and gimmicky, with purple chains and Bolvar literally getting owned instead of putting up a decent fight.

That said, the ending is very powerful, I didn't see the plot twist coming, with Sylvanas breaking the Helm, I was expecting her to put it on her head. Sky shattering and ominous other world appearing in above was very foreboding and exciting, giving a feeling of real threat that suddenly dropped on Azeroth.

If they made the duel more dramatic and intense, I think this cinematic would be great. Right now I'd rate it as 7/10

The cinematic was fine. I donno why everything needs to be THE WORST EVER. You could have disliked it but, really, the worst ever?