Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Point is, shadow is void magic. It has nothing to do with death.
    I see people constantly claiming shadow is death Which is Just wrong.

The idea itself is hard to take seriously when you get the basics wrong.

Alleria is not anything, not a dark ranger not a void ranger, she's Just Alleria. Like many heavy lore figures she has a unique toolkit.

On topic, Dark Ranger is not a tangible idea. It has barely any unique powers to be a class with multiplex specs.
    It's literally a marksman hunter with deathy aesthetics.
    Eh I think this is blizzard's fault. Even since vanilla the Forsaken have worshiped the Shadow. Thus conflating Shadow and Death themes. It's not hard for someone to see Alleria and think "Dark Ranger". I wouldn't blame them. Blizzard doesn't show the rivalry between shadow and death anywhere near as good as they show the rivalry between Holy and Fel.

There was an ENTIRE expansion debuting the rivalry between Fel and Holy... TWICE.

I hope this upcoming (most likely shadowlands) expansion corrects this problem. So that people will finally see the differences between shadow and death. But then again blizzard story telling hasn't been the greatest. They could mess this up

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Light - Paladin

Arcane - Mage

Fel - Warlock

Life - Druid

Death - DK

Void - Priest

No new classes those are the only 6 ever allowed in WoW from now on. </s>

What a pointless discussion, as if cosmology has anything to do with classes. It's all about rule of cool and what's relevant to the expansion at hand.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Light - Paladin

Arcane - Mage

Fel - Warlock

Life - Druid

Death - DK

Void - Priest

What a pointless discussion, as if cosmology has anything to do with classes. It's all about rule of cool and what's relevant to the expansion at hand.
    Yeah, I hate how people are like "Can't do a Necromancer! We already got that theme!". Like I feel the demon hunter was an excellent contributor to the "Fel" theme. Not like a necromancer can't make waves with the death theme above and beyond the DK. (Although personally I'd love if they just added a new spec to warlocks and let them be necromancers that way).

Same argument for the Dark Ranger. Warcraft 3 existed with all of these characters and I loved the crap out of it.

Keep in mind, we aren't restricted to what exists on the chart there. Look at the blood trolls and blood death knights. They are harnessing the power of blood to achieve their ends. Really, anything can constitute a new class.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Point is, shadow is void magic. It has nothing to do with death.
    I see people constantly claiming shadow is death Which is Just wrong.

The idea itself is hard to take seriously when you get the basics wrong.

Alleria is not anything, not a dark ranger not a void ranger, she's Just Alleria. Like many heavy lore figures she has a unique toolkit.

On topic, Dark Ranger is not a tangible idea. It has barely any unique powers to be a class with multiplex specs.
    It's literally a marksman hunter with deathy aesthetics.
    I actually am well aware that shadow magic is not death magic but at the time of creating this thread, my thought train must've been in a place and time where this wasn't yet clearly defined and Sylvanas was still using generic shadowy spells. Even in heroes of the storm, she uses an ability called 'shadow dagger'. But yes, I do know death and void are opposed to each other. Yet so are fel and void, still, demon hunters and warlocks also use shadow magic. Fighting fire with fire you know.

My point wasn't really that Dark Rangers are THE upcoming class though. I was merely speculating that the next class might or might not be clearly defined by one of the big domains looking at WoW's past. But I do refuse to believe they aren't a tangible class, aren't death knights literally arms warriors with deathy aesthethics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Light - Paladin

Arcane - Mage

Fel - Warlock

Life - Druid

Death - DK

Void - Priest

That cosmology chart from WoW Chronicle has a lot to do with the whole WoW universe, this includes the story, classes, and races (void/lightforged). They don't just implement a class because of the rule of cool alone, it has to have grounds within the world. I never said they can't have two classes encompass the same domain because that's clearly the case already. All I was saying, if you look at the classes released after Vanilla WoW and the cosmology chart that was in WoW Chronicle V1 you can clearly see they're rotating through those big domains which makes sense because the expansion do this as well and the classes are based on what makes sense for the expansion.

Dark Ranger is very much Death.

I think Shadow and Arcane are the most under represented of the major cosmology powers. Shadow having 2.5 specs(Sub, Shadow, and half of Disc) and Arcane really only having 1(Arcane). Then Death is the next fewest with just 3 specs. Light has 5 and Fel has 5. Life can depend on if you count all of the Druid specs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Dark Ranger is very much Death.

I think Shadow and Arcane are the most under represented of the major cosmology powers. Shadow having 2.5 specs(Sub, Shadow, and half of Disc) and Arcane really only having 1(Arcane). Then Death is the next fewest with just 3 specs. Light has 5 and Fel has 5. Life can depend on if you count all of the Druid specs or not.
    Fire and frost mage should count as Arcane. Balance druid fits it. And I believe frost DK fits it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
    Fire and frost mage should count as Arcane. Balance druid fits it. And I believe frost DK fits it too.
    The elements are their own separate circles lower down on the chart though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
    Druid (at least balance) uses arcane spells and Warlock has multiple void-based ones. And I believe Death Knight's frost abilities are arcane based (since they are based on Liches who are arcane users)
    Priest like druids are balance type classes. Even shamans can be considered as one as masters of the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    The elements are their own separate circles lower down on the chart though.
    Fire and frost as Mages use it are not element based. They manipulate temperature using Arcane.

10+ Year Old Account
    After this expansion, it's clear that you're never going to see a Dark Ranger or a Necromancer class. If there's one silver lining in this Shadowlands debacle it's that those concepts are dead.

Unfirtunately the devs don't lend much credibility folliwing patterns or filling gaps. They break it more than anything.

We got a 4th leather class instead of 3rd mail. We got another fel user instead of any new theme like dragons or tech. We didn't get a class this year when one was expected.

Theres little reason to expect any patterns make any sense going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    After this expansion, it's clear that you're never going to see a Dark Ranger or a Necromancer class. If there's one silver lining in this Shadowlands debacle it's that those concepts are dead.
    So is a Tinker by that matter considering we got no class whereas a Tinker fits any expansion theme and is still considered the red-headed step child locked in the attic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Unfirtunately the devs don't lend much credibility folliwing patterns or filling gaps. They break it more than anything.

We got a 4th leather class instead of 3rd mail. We got another fel user instead of any new theme like dragons or tech. We didn't get a class this year when one was expected.

Theres little reason to expect any patterns make any sense going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

So is a Tinker by that matter considering we got no class whereas a Tinker fits any expansion theme and is still considered the red-headed step child locked in the attic.
    Obviously Blizzard is obsessed with the notion of a class fitting the expansion theme and we haven't had an expansion that fit the Tinker's theme yet. Shadowlands on the other hand would have been the perfect expansion to announce a Dark Ranger or a Necromancer class. Instead we get more Death Knights.

That should tell you something.

Obviously Blizzard is obsessed with the notion of a class fitting the expansion theme and we haven't had an expansion that fit the Tinker's theme yet. Shadowlands on the other hand would have been the perfect expansion to announce a Dark Ranger or a Necromancer class. Instead we get more Death Knights.

That should tell you something.
    It tells me that all those HotS tinker abilities being added, making Gazlowe into goblin leader, adding Mechagnomes were all meaningless to a Tinker class this expansion.

The tinkers will never have their own expansion. If they aren't already in the game then there is a huge problem. How much more time do they need to be developed and fit in the game? Even Bastion showed mechs walking around, and we still don't have Tinkers?

It seems pretty clear to me that they remain dead in the water. I think that Tinker might have been made, but intentionally held back after mechagnomes seemed to remain an unpopular pick.

Lets be real, we have Black Empire and Dragon Isles seeded and left to explore. Tech expansion wouldn't happen even in the next 4 years.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-11-02 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It tells me that all those HotS tinker abilities being added, making Gazlowe into goblin leader, adding Mechagnomes were all meaningless to a Tinker class this expansion.
    Or it works towards establishing them in WoW. Demon Hunters were established in TBC, but they didn't emerge as a playable class until Legion 9 years later.

The tinkers will never have their own expansion.
    They don't need that. They just need an expansion that fits their theme. Technology is a very broad theme.

Or it works towards establishing them in WoW. Demon Hunters were established in TBC, but they didn't emerge as a playable class until Legion 9 years later.
    Except you've been fairly adamant establishing how Demon Hunters are barely playable, gutted classes to become playable, and I think its safe to say they were added purely for fan service.

Tinkers however...

They don't need that. They just need an expansion that fits their theme. Technology is a very broad theme.
    What good is a broad theme when they can't even fit in the 4 yr class cycle?

This bodes bad news for all classes in the future, not just Tinkers. I don't think they see new classes as big hooks as they used to

10+ Year Old Account
    Except you've been fairly adamant establishing how Demon Hunters are barely playable, gutted classes to become playable, and I think its safe to say they were added purely for fan service.
    And nothing I said above changes that statement.

Tinkers however...
    Always the superior option. However, it's clear that Blizzard is waiting for the right expansion to make them playable.

What good is a broad theme when they can't even fit in the 4 yr class cycle?

This bodes bad news for all classes in the future, not just Tinkers. I don't think they see new classes as big hooks as they used to
    We'll see. If we go 2-3 more expansions with no classes, I'd be inclined to agree. However, in this instance, not introducing a Necromancer or DR in an expansion about Death and Sylvanas is pretty much a nail in the coffin for those concepts.

We'll see. If we go 2-3 more expansions with no classes, I'd be inclined to agree. However, in this instance, not introducing a Necromancer or DR in an expansion about Death and Sylvanas is pretty much a nail in the coffin for those concepts.
    We are already 2 expansions with no new class. Honestly more than telling. WoW is gonna hit 20 years plus, how much room is there gonna be for new class gameplay? I doubt seeing them make a commitment to a new class much after this.

And to be fair, this expansion clarifies and expands so much undeath lore that class skins would be a seamless addition after this. Shadowlands explains how undeath magic os not just one theme, but several types championed by a different covenant and more.

Monks are spirit, not life. "Chi" literally means spirit in pandaren and is the same resource shamans use as well, just in a different way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

5+ Year Old Account
    Image that you was guy that said:
    Mechagnomes isnt a joke race, tinker class 100% in 9.0 all things pin points it
    Seems tinker concept are dead in diaper.
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2019-11-02 at 04:43 PM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.