Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Funny, since they used that flawed cosmic chart to explain the next xpack, they sure have style don't they? ;P
    They are basically undermining themselves in real time now. Could it be? Have they found a new low?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    Well that certainly tells us a lot about how the Titans see themselves and their perspective hahaha. But seriously codifying indisputable truth with a capital T in your work is going to be very unrelatable because we don’t have that in real life.
    There is stuff in these books that predate the titans by millions of years, they could have easily worked with the chronicle, cosmic things in there were vague as hell in some cases, but this way out is just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by tristannarutofan View Post
    its not a mistake.
    Chronicles was written 3 years ago as the definitive lore explanation for anything in it, that was its explicit purpose. Blizzard accepted peoples money for it and then walked back from that position. that's massively different from expanding on a snippet of lore from a decade previous
    I think that's a shit thing to do.

Secondly, the cope in your post is palpable given you replied seriously to my facetious meme post with one of the joke arguments in my post

What did they retcon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephys View Post
    What did they retcon?
    Their lore bible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    There is stuff in these books that predate the titans by millions of years, they could have easily worked with the chronicle, cosmic things in there were vague as hell in some cases, but this way out is just pathetic.
    Eh, there’s stuff in my Geology book that predates the author(s) by billions of years, but it’s the best we’ve got so I’m accepting it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Yeah, consistency is such an idiotic concept.
    You can't have the kind of consistency you want in a fantasy world this big that has to keep adding new stuff for the foreseeable future. Doesn't matter how much you want it, it's not possible for any writer/game company.

I'm sorry but you will never find a fantasy world this big that has the consistency you are demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephys View Post
    What did they retcon?
    now everything they retconn same as before, chronicle shouldnt be written at all then lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kohtra View Post
    It's not possible to have 100% consistency in a fantasy world this big with new content having to be added for the foreseeable future.

Like, literally impossible. It would be stupid of them to pretend otherwise.
    Goodness me, I could have sworn those goalposts were right here. No one said any percentage, because their statement means Chronicles just went from The Definitive Version to yet another thing we can ignore on a whim. Errors can be forgiven, mistakes happen. When you announce that past canon doesn't matter, why should I be invested in your current offering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

It's not possible to have 100% consistency in a fantasy world this big with new content having to be added for the foreseeable future.

Like, literally impossible. It would be stupid of them to pretend otherwise.
    Not having 100% consistency is a far cry from Blizzard outright undermining the whole premise of the Chronicles just to excuse their sloppiness and not even having to attempt writing a consistent story. I mean, it's not like something magically prevented them from retconning Chronicles before, they already did just that in regards to some things.

Besides, you didn't talk about how it's impossible to have 100% consistency in your first post. You outright said that it's a good thing that Blizzard has an out to ignore previous lore when writing new material because the opposite would be them being "forced" into "a straight jacket". Which is a bogus notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I don't know what to say. What the hell...
    There's only one thing to say. And that's a round of applause for Blizzard and their masterful writing that never retcons anything or suffers from any internal contradictions (at least that's what some posters tell me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

they basically insulted themselves and those who bought them.

I really wanted to buy them.

good thing I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    It's more like "This Baloon is Red" "Now it's Magenta" "Now it's Maroon"
    those are very different shades!

..... 50 shades <.< >.>

Eh, there’s stuff in my Geology book that predates the author(s) by billions of years, but it’s the best we’ve got so I’m accepting it.
    There is also stuff in there the titans could not have witnessed, since they got their asses handed to them and were stuck in titan keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Not having 100% consistency is a far cry from Blizzard outright undermining the whole premise of the Chronicles just to excuse their sloppiness and not even having to attempt writing a consistent story. I mean, it's not like something magically prevented them from retconning Chronicles before, they already did just that in regards to some things.

Besides, you didn't talk about how it's impossible to have 100% consistency in your first post. You outright said that it's a good thing that Blizzard has an out to ignore previous lore when writing new material because the old lore and that the opposite would be them being "forced" into "a straight jacket". Which is a bogus notion altogether.
    I'm sorry but you just aren't going to find any writer/developer who can create a world that is not what you would call sloppy. Literally, you will not find it.

The only mistake Blizzard made was hinting the Chronicles were some end of all lore development. This is fixing that mistake.

You're just going to have to accept the reality of fantasy world building and move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought chronicles.......

You can't have the kind of consistency you want in a fantasy world this big that has to keep adding new stuff for the foreseeable future. Doesn't matter how much you want it, it's not possible for any writer/game company.
    Golden retconned her own work after one expansion. Despite the point of her being hired was to bring coherency and project 'one voice' on the narrative.

There is a difference between making narrative sacrifices because this is an mmo and just not giving a shit because you know no matter how little effort you put into it people will defend you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that certainly tells us a lot about how the Titans see themselves and their perspective hahaha. But seriously codifying indisputable truth with a capital T in your work is going to be very unrelatable because we don’t have that in real life.
    Joking aside, a setting bible is actually extremely important to have for fictional settings. You need to know Concept A is Concept A so you can write with Concept A portrayed consistently. Even Fallout had a setting bible and it was originally just a loving satire of Cold War rhetoric and 50s pop culture. When your writers start deciding Concept A isn't Concept A as soon as Concept A becomes inconvenient to write around, your setting loses immersion and credibility.

Compare, as an example, Warcraft's take on magic (where you can do pretty much anything your writer can dream up so long as there are enough cool arcane sigils floating around) to, say, Avatar: The Last Airbender's (where magic is very tightly defined in what it can and can't do, and even the more exotic/esoteric magics are rooted in four principal schools with underlying rules for how they function). When a Waterbender does something, you have a good idea of what their limitations are. When a mage in Warcraft does something, it's whatever the hell the writers need to get themselves out of a corner.

Warcraft's biggest problem is the lack of commitment to a setting bible from the writing team, because they'd rather continue pushing 90s Dark Age comic tropes and coming up with 'cool' set pieces, then begrudgingly string those set pieces together with a plot, if they have to.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Golden retconned her own work after one expansion. Despite the point of her being hired was to bring coherency and project 'one voice' on the narrative.

There is a difference between making narrative sacrifices because this is an mmo and just not giving a shit because you know no matter how little effort you put into it people will defend you.
    Tolkien retconned his own work too. This is just the reality of fantasy world building and story telling. Get used it it.

Tolkien retconned his own work too. This is just the reality of fantasy world building and story telling. Get used it it.
    Or we don't and you do what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think you are taking this too seriously.

Look even history books we have in the real world paint a different picture depending on the perspective of those that wrote it. This isn't a retcon as much of painting a picture of how the titans see things. There can be good stories told about things that either predate the books from the time they are written or even given a completely different view point and story from those that were on the other side.

think of it how China paints a picture vs how would say Hong Kong would paint it.

There's a lot of room to explore other stories. Hell even other book that may come out can contradict Chronicle and it a) would be intentional and b) would tell an interesting story...i.e who's the really enemy and what is the "real" truth.