View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just for the sake of presenting the actual facts here when Dribbles is spreading misinformation, the UK's gross contribution to the EU after their rebate is about 13 billion a year, so roughly £250 million a week. When you then take EU investment back into the UK into account after that, it drops a bit further to about 9 billion a year, to about 170 per week.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    350m a week would be ~18 billion a year. A decent amount, but then you remember that the UK has a GDP of around 2.5 trillion, so.. 0.1%? Not too bad

Oh, and the bus was debunked, numerous times, the actual figure is lower
    No it wasn't debunked at all, if anything it is far higher.

The costs of EU membership cannot be measured in contributions alone. What about all the extra red tape regulation to business extra costs passed on to consumers? What about the extra costs in tariffs the protectionist EU apply to goods from outside the EU that are passed on to consumers inside the single market? What about the costs of uncontrolled immigration?

The costs of EU membership are immeasurably higher, yet difficult to quantify, than the £350 million a week from the side of Boris's bus. You add up all the direct and indirect costs of EU membership and it could be quite reasonably argued that it is over a billion a week.

As some senior economists have extensively covered and justified here.

https://globalbritain.co.uk/wp-conte...ship-FINAL.pdf

I'd be all for the true figure stuck on the side of the bus, my worry would be that the bus wouldn't be long enough to get all the zeros on the side. You really shouldn't query the 350 million a week figure in case a higher, more accurate one is placed on the next brexit battle bus should it make a return.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I would oppose all regulations that were imposed on the UK by the EU empire.
    Name them, then.

I'll give you a tip: it won't be a very long list because the UK agreed to pretty much everything decided in Brussels since joining (and got opt-outs for most of the things it didn't like), and went above and beyond what was needed to implement them in national law.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Well that is just rubbish.

I won't vote SNP, firstly, never have, never will. You don't need to vote SNP to consider independence, or vote for it.
    The SNP will be power-brokers in any independent Scotland, you can't separate the one thing from the other.

- - - Updated - - -

That being said, the SNP are nothing like UKIP. They are not far right. They are clearly left of centre.
    Nationalist parties are generally considered right-wing. The only thing the SNP supports which is left-wing is extravagant spending of Westminster money-they would be stupid not to.

The SNP's policies for an independent Scotland however are essentially tory policies +. You obviously have not read their growth commission report, it is frank about imposing austerity on an independent Scotland and relocating UK financial services north-it is designed to turn the country into a banking center. There's nothing remotely left-wing about it-independent Scotland would essentially be marginally to the right of Boris Johnson's Tories with their vague half-assed concessions to left-wing populism.

- - - Updated - - -

Scottish independence isn't simply a product of racism, like most Brexit people.
    With respect, you are saying that because you are Scottish. Scottish racism is pretty vicious, I say that as someone who lived through the worst years of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. We don't complain about it much because English people aren't a protected class and to some extent we get the reasons why, but it is there.

I also think you are overstating the element of racism in brexit. It is there, and it is significant, but it isn't enough by itself to deliver a majority.

- - - Updated - - -

The idea that Scotland relies on Westminster grants is just wrong. Scotland pays in more than it takes out, maybe not by much but it is still a surplus.
    If you take into consideration raw expenditure vs taxation, probably yes, but it is a lot more complicated than that. You have to take into consideration that a smaller economic unit has less political leverage and suffers from greater volatility - a Scottish government could not risk committing the same level of expenditure it does currently and indeed, the SNP is specifically saying it will not do that.
    Last edited by Fandasiril; 2019-11-02 at 11:56 PM.

Nothing like another burn account telling us how Brexit totally wasn't about keeping out scary muslims.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Nothing like another burn account telling us how Brexit totally wasn't about keeping out scary muslims.
    I'm not really into oversimplifying things for the benefit of people who have trouble understanding complex events, sorry.

There's enough reductive cynicism and sloganeering in politics already.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it wasn't debunked at all, if anything it is far higher.

The costs of EU membership cannot be measured in contributions alone. What about all the extra red tape regulation to business extra costs passed on to consumers? What about the extra costs in tariffs the protectionist EU apply to goods from outside the EU that are passed on to consumers inside the single market? What about the costs of uncontrolled immigration?

The costs of EU membership are immeasurably higher, yet difficult to quantify, than the £350 million a week from the side of Boris's bus. You add up all the direct and indirect costs of EU membership and it could be quite reasonably argued that it is over a billion a week.

As some senior economists have extensively covered and justified here.

https://globalbritain.co.uk/wp-conte...ship-FINAL.pdf

I'd be all for the true figure stuck on the side of the bus, my worry would be that the bus wouldn't be long enough to get all the zeros on the side. You really shouldn't query the 350 million a week figure in case a higher, more accurate one is placed on the next brexit battle bus should it make a return.
    And yet pretty much everyone agrees the British GPD will take a hit after leaving the EU. Hell it's taken a hit just saying it'll leave. I wonder why that is?

7+ Year Old Account
    It would seem I'll have to revise my opinion somewhat compared to what I original voted in the poll.

I expected, based on events at the time, that the UK would ultimately withdraw Article 50. Well I don't think that's likely to happen anymore.

Also Boris Johnson, who isn't like that idiot Theresa May who really couldn't help herself in 2017, will likely win a majority government....maybe even he'll get the largest conservative majority in post WW2 history or close to what Thatcher had, and possibly only behind the majority Tony Blair had.

I hope you're good for a wild ride.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Farage announces that he will not stand as an MP.

Almost certainly because he knows that whatever seat he stands un there will be a concerted effort to make sure he doesn't win.

Coward.

£350 million a week is quite a lot of spondoolies to splash around. Did you miss the Boris bus? I would oppose all regulations that were imposed on the UK by the EU empire. There should be a bonfire of unnecessary regulations.
    Even Farage said that they shouldn't have put that on the bus- it wasn't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

On the topic of Farage, he won't be standing for election: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50280848

He says that he can support his party members better by not standing himself (i.e. he prefers to heckle Johnson and Corbyn from the side-lines because he is too cowardly to stand and lose a Westminster election bid for the 8th time).

So unfortunately for our resident dribbler, Farage will not be taking up a post in Johnson's new cabinet, should the Tories win the election as he will not be an MP.

By the way @dribbles, I'm still waiting for that list of EU regulations that they foisted upon the UK against its will which you don't like (and an explanation why).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-11-03 at 11:17 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    And yet pretty much everyone agrees the British GPD will take a hit after leaving the EU. Hell it's taken a hit just saying it'll leave. I wonder why that is?
    Pretty much everyone being Project Fear remainers you mean? They've never been right about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    On the topic of Farage, he won't be standing for election: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50280848

He says that he can support his party members better by not standing himself (i.e. he prefers to heckle Johnson and Corbyn from the side-lines because he is too cowardly to stand and lose a Westminster election bid for the 8th time).

So unfortunately for our resident dribbler, Farage will not be taking up a post in Johnson's new cabinet, should the Tories win the election as he will not be an MP.

By the way @dribbles, I'm still waiting for that list of EU regulations that they foisted upon the UK against its will which you don't like (and an explanation why).
    Lord Farage will be fine with an impressive pension funded by EU members for decades to come. Reform/abolition of the House of Lords is his next target once we are out of the EU.

Here's your list.

Working Time Directive
    Renewable Energy Directive
    Common Fisheries Policy
    Onerous Banking Regulation
    Weedy Vacuum Cleaners, Hair Dryers,Toasters etc
    and so on and so on.

Oh I almost forgot most importantly, the Bendy Banana Directive

Is that enough to be going on with? If you want more just say...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

So you think that people should be forced to work more than 10 hours per day, the air should be full of smog, the seas should be devoid of fish, criminals should be allowed to launder money and household devices should be allowed to electrocute their owners? Ah the good old days of the 19th century work houses. Maybe Mogg will reintroduce them.

By the way, the "bendy banana directive" is a myth. Just like your claims of reasonableness.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-11-03 at 12:43 PM.

Everytime anyone engages with another poster over the bendy bananas bullshit, God shoots a kitten.

It doesn't merit remark.

Just letting you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The reason why he wont stand is so damn obvious; there is no seat in the country where he stands a reasonable chance of winning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Everytime anyone engages with another poster over the bendy bananas bullshit, God shoots a kitten.

It doesn't merit remark.

Just letting you know.
    Don't like the bent banana law? How about the EU banning fried breakfasts for UK lorry drivers who want to drive in the EU forcing them to eat croissants instead?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ig-fry-up.html

There is no part of an EU citizens life where the Brussels nanny knows best.

Another one. Most reasonable people would accept that legislation is required for the safe and humane transport of livestock, lambs and cattle for example, over thousands of miles before slaughter. But for Mussels and other shellfish? What next protection for carrots, lettuce, tulips from Amsterdam in case their feelings are hurt?

There are so many more as you can imagine after 40 years of EU messing about with legislation and spending huge sums of EU taxpayers money. Want more?

The EU banning barmaids bosoms is an interesting one...

https://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/152
    Last edited by dribbles; 2019-11-03 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't like the bent banana law? How about the EU banning fried breakfasts for UK lorry drivers who want to drive in the EU forcing them to eat croissants instead?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ig-fry-up.html
    I don't know how you read that and get that they want to ban the fry-up, other than just reading the title..

it's literally just saying they have to have health checks.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how you read that and get that they want to ban the fry-up, other than just reading the title..

it's literally just saying they have to have health checks.
    Because the EU proposal was to legislate for a lorry drivers acceptable cholestorol level. It stands to reason that someone who starts every day with a fry up is likely to have higher levels than someone who eats a carrot for breakfast. That is discriminatory to British traditions and banning the fry up for UK lorry drivers by the back door.

What on earth possesses the EU to get involved in such minutiae of their citizens lives. Does everyone really need such micro management?

Because the EU proposal was to legislate for a lorry drivers acceptable cholestorol level. It stands to reason that someone who starts every day with a fry up is likely to have higher levels than someone who eats a carrot for breakfast. That is discriminatory to British traditions and banning the fry up for UK lorry drivers by the back door.

What on earth possesses the EU to get involved in such minutiae of their citizens lives. Does everyone really need such micro management?
    Are you commenting on a video game message board, or are you composing a letter to the Telegraph?

7+ Year Old Account
    You asked for the list.

Are you commenting on a video game message board, or are you composing a letter to the Telegraph?
    Changed your mind about seeing the list now I've provided it? Perhaps you thought it didn't exist.