Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Guy losses job for saving a kitten.

He got the call saying that he's fired but company claiming its still pending investigation with union. Need more people like him. The companies FB page is lit up. Even after they posted about national cat day after doing this. Happened last month.

https://www.lovemeow.com/worker-resc...zFljL2S5lq7_wE

As of 42 mins ago from the company's facebook page.
    After a review of the circumstances of the events of Oct. 30, Norfolk Southern has determined that the employee’s actions do not warrant dismissal. The employee has been notified of his return to service.

We recognize the concerns raised and to underscore our long-standing commitment to the safety and well-being of animals, Norfolk Southern will be making a donation in the amount of $10,000 to an animal welfare organization in the Louisville area.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    As of 42 mins ago from the company's facebook page.
    Aka "we want the bad press to go away"

Another soul less corportation trying to look human. When they are not and just follow their mandated rules despite when obviously wrong and lack any type of creative/independent thinking.

I wonder what reason they could possibly even have to fire him? Sounds like he went back after his shift ended?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I wonder what reason they could possibly even have to fire him? Sounds like he went back after his shift ended?
    Insubordination? Delaying a Train? It could be anything -- railroad management has a quota of write ups/performance evaluation failures/furloughs they have to keep up with every month.

"I bent down, and through a cut in the seal, I could see a tiny face," he added. "I told my boss a kitten was in the tank car and we needed to put the car in the shop so we could get it out. He said no, to leave the cat where it was because it would climb out on its own, and for me to get back to work."
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Insubordination? Delaying a Train? It could be anything -- railroad management has a quota of write ups/performance evaluation failures/furloughs they have to keep up with every month.

"I bent down, and through a cut in the seal, I could see a tiny face," he added. "I told my boss a kitten was in the tank car and we needed to put the car in the shop so we could get it out. He said no, to leave the cat where it was because it would climb out on its own, and for me to get back to work."
    It says he left the kitten and then return after his work was done.

10+ Year Old Account
    It says he left the kitten and then return after his work was done.
    It also says the boss told him "Congratulations you have a cat, but probably not a job."

He used Company Tools to extract a cat he was told to leave alone while off the clock. As stupid as that sounds railroad management will declare that insubordination.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    It also says the boss told him "Congratulations you have a cat, but probably not a job."

He used Company Tools to extract a cat he was told to leave alone while off the clock. As stupid as that sounds railroad management will declare that insubordination.
    Company tools which probably would have ended up being used anyway to extract a dead cat, mind you.

Remind me why we should remotely give a shit about employers or business owners when the only thing they value is money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I mean, saying he's fired isn't a reason why he's fired. I was looking for a reason. It seems to me there's not enough information in the article. That's the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Company tools which probably would have ended up being used anyway to extract a dead cat, mind you.

Remind me why we should remotely give a shit about employers or business owners when the only thing they value is money?
    We shouldn't give a shit about those employers. Especially now where they're literally firing people with up to 15 years of experience because a billion dollars of profit just isn't enough.

I mean, saying he's fired isn't a reason why he's fired. I was looking for a reason. It seems to me there's not enough information in the article. That's the point.
    I'm just going by my knowledge as a railroad employee. They will find any grey area they can to bring about a termination or a rules compliance violation because the management has a quota they have to meet each month before their jobs are on the line.

I would still be worried as this guy. Wouldn't doubt that when the world moves on from this he "messes up his time ticket" and is dismissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    We shouldn't give a shit about those employers. Especially now where they're literally firing people with up to 15 years of experience because a billion dollars of profit just isn't enough.

I'm just going by my knowledge as a railroad employee. They will find any grey area they can to bring about a termination or a rules compliance violation because the management has a quota they have to meet each month before their jobs are on the line.
    One thing that might be worth explaining is how much can the union intercede on his behalf. Most posters here are really ignorant of how unions work, or casually hostile to unions.

In the non-union workforce It's just you vs management. Maybe HR "pretends to be on your side". Most people cant comprehend a union having their back in these matters.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    One thing that might be worth explaining is how much can the union intercede on his behalf. Most posters here are really ignorant of how unions work, or casually hostile to unions.

In the non-union workforce It's just you vs management. Maybe HR "pretends to be on your side". Most people cant comprehend a union having their back in these matters.
    Anytime an employee is "fired" by the railroad they're put into an investigation where both the carrier and the union will explore the situation the employee has been pulled from service for. If the employee is found at fault they're put on a disciplinary level for a period of three years and sent back to work. If the employee has two more issues that require an investigation in that three year period they are officially considered fired although they may be brought back to work 2-3 years later.

If the union manages to find enough evidence to declare the employee not at fault the employee is reimbursed at 100% the wages he/she would have received if they had worked the length of time they were removed from service. The union will also document the name, title, and length of service the charging manager has with the carrier in the instance the manager is simply charging people with rules violations without just cause. Someone who miraculously finds a way to pull three employees out of service a week who somehow manage to beat their investigations is ethically questionable.

Also the union does provide something called "Can Insurance" basically this is to make sure an employee who is removed from service and may be found at fault during an investigation still receives a paycheck while they're awaiting their investigation. For me it was $85/month and that was for $375/day based on a five day work week for up to six months. It's something that has saved many a people from ending up in dire situations because of one bad day at work.

5+ Year Old Account
    The wrath of the internet shall come down upon them!

15+ Year Old Account
    He gets to come back to work to that shitty boss. Yeah, that boss probably took some shit from the upper management and will most likely hold a grudge against him. But hey, at least he got his job back.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    He got the call saying that he's fired but company claiming its still pending investigation with union. Need more people like him. The companies FB page is lit up. Even after they posted about national cat day after doing this. Happened last month.

https://www.lovemeow.com/worker-resc...zFljL2S5lq7_wE
    he didn't lose his job, they just investigated him and he didn't lose it after that. This is pretty much a non story

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The fact that a company can tell you from one day to the next that you lost your job, is a story, a very bad story.

Employees should have more job safety by having better worker rights.
    There wasn't any reason in the story given why he lost his job and why the investigation, he could have broken a safety rule during his act of valor.

Soon a the heat dies down they will let him go I can guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    he didn't lose his job, they just investigated him and he didn't lose it after that. This is pretty much a non story
    He didn't receive an answer until a couple days later. After there FB site among others got flooded by people complaining at the company. See if this would have been a child instead of a kitten things would be different. Some view cats and dogs with the same care as humans. That aspects makes you want to help them. This guys not a bad person.