Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So is the Death knight class campaign considered to be "from titan's perspective?"

In the legion DK campaign the Lich king was portrayed as a rather evil chap with plans of his own, as presented in the finale of getting the class mount. Now he's a good guy again with a completely different voice too in Shadowlands. Is it safe to assume that not even happenings in the game can be considered as canon and things can change into "titan's perspective" at whim?
    The 3 dh spec is increíble.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubu View Post
    In the legion DK campaign the Lich king was portrayed as a rather evil chap with plans of his own, as presented in the finale of getting the class mount. Now he's a good guy again with a completely different voice too in Shadowlands. Is it safe to assume that not even happenings in the game can be considered as canon and things can change into "titan's perspective" at whim?
    The necrolords aren't evil the scourge still are...or were i guess.

Also 'good guy' is a relative term. His good in so much as our goals align

15+ Year Old Account
    From where in this cinematic do you mistakenly interpret him to be a good guy?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    From where in this cinematic do you mistakenly interpret him to be a good guy?
    He is helping us the shadowlands, afaik? He even actually lost his "evil voice" in BFA already.

10+ Year Old Account
    He even actually lost his "evil voice" in BFA already.
    Watch the end of ICC cinematic and what happens to Arthas' voice when he loses the helm and tell us again how Bolvar's voice change is unexpected?
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

I'm confused. Why do people think Bolvar is just like Nerzhul/Arthas because they wore the same crown?

The Lich King is just the one that have the helm to control the scourge. Am I missing something? Just because another one picks up the helm doesn't mean they become the same person. Lich King is more of a title. Just because two people are Kings doesn't mean they rule the same or have same agenda.
    If there is some Lich King essence in the helm, it's clear that Bolvar fights it which is completely opposite to what Arthas did, who embraced it.

I'm well aware I could be completely wrong however.

15+ Year Old Account
    He is helping us the shadowlands, afaik? He even actually lost his "evil voice" in BFA already.
    That all remains to be seen, tbh. It is entirely possible the helm of domination changed him while he wore it.

He has been helping us in Legion too. You tend to try to find ally aligned with your goals when the sky is literally falling.
    He even started making more DK, which is probably frowned upon by factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the Death Knight Legion campaign and at no point did I feel like Bolvar was a bad guy.

Just a guy, who's on fire, while at the same time freezing his ass off, doing a thankless job (like undead retail), while some kids are constantly trotting around on his turf, pissing him off when he's just trying to do his god damn job.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I played the Death Knight Legion campaign and at no point did I feel like Bolvar was a bad guy.

Just a guy, who's on fire, while at the same time freezing his ass off, doing a thankless job (like undead retail), while some kids are constantly trotting around on his turf, pissing him off when he's just trying to do his god damn job.

Um... attacking the paladin order hall to steal the corpse of his friend/but really just to kill Mograine to make him a horseman. Attacking wyrmers and telling you not to be merciful. Attacking Ruby sanctum and telling you slaughter as many as you like or not, up to you. Then eventually telling you that if you die, he'll take over the Ebon blade and mumbling about his mysterious plans for them. Sounds pretty evil to me. This was discussed here in great detail as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    Watch the end of ICC cinematic and what happens to Arthas' voice when he loses the helm and tell us again how Bolvar's voice change is unexpected?
    Check his voice in Legion in case you didn't play the DK campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understood what they're saying. Arthas with helm -> deep evil voice. Arthas without helm -> regular human sounding voice. Bolvar with helm -> deep evil voice. Bolvar without helm -> regular human sounding voice.

Yes his voice in Legion was the deep evil sounding voice. He had the helmet on.

Um... attacking the paladin order hall to steal the corpse of his friend/but really just to kill Mograine to make him a horseman. Attacking wyrmers and telling you not to be merciful. Attacking Ruby sanctum and telling you slaughter as many as you like or not, up to you. Then eventually telling you that if you die, he'll take over the Ebon blade and mumbling about his mysterious plans for them. Sounds pretty evil to me. This was discussed here in great detail as well.
    How many people do we murder in every quests, with "Kill these scums"? Itjust happens that in this case, we both have the same ennemy so we're working together.
    Besides, Bolvar apparently leads the Death Knights again, so he's been right about that.

Bolvar =/= Arthas. And without the helm is he is just a burned Bolvar. He wasn't evil to begin with.

Arthas on the other hand was on his journey for power even before getting his hands on Frostmourne and the helm.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Unrelated but he sounds nothing like Bolvar from the ICC cinematic, but I guess that's just standard blizzard laziness as opposed to a lore issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you misunderstood.

It's established that the Lich King has a consciousness all of his own, wearing the Helm brings with it an internal mental struggle against this will. Notice that when Arthas first put on the helm, he says "Now, we are one." The entity of the "Lich King" is not just Bolvar. It wasn't just Arthas. The "Lich King" is an amalgamation of consciousness. This internal power struggle is also reflected in Christie Golden's Lich King book, where Ner'zhul and Arthas fight for control. There's a bit of Ner'zhul in there, a bit of Arthas in there, and there's clearly a bit of some other evil presences in there too (which, while never previously explained will doubtlessly be explored in the coming Shadowlands lore).

Bolvar wearing the Helm =/= Bolvar without the helm. When the Helm falls from Arthas' head during the end of ICC cinematic, Arthas' voice changes, and for a moment before death he reverts from "The Lich King" to just "Arthas"

When Bolvar loses the helm to Sylvanas, he reverts from "The Lich King" (the entity we saw in the DK class campaign in Legion, which is an amalgamation of consciousness) to just Bolvar, the noble but tortured soul who chose to become the jailer of the damned and put on the crown in WotLK.

Bolvar himself has probably been affected by his time as the Lich King, but he's not the same person as he is with the helm on, so his voice and personality changing somewhat after the helm is taken from him is not at all unexpected, nor any kind of retcon.

Hopefully that explains what's happening. Any questions, let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Unrelated but he sounds nothing like Bolvar from the ICC cinematic, but I guess that's just standard blizzard laziness as opposed to a lore issue.
    No doubt Bolvar has been affected by his time wearing the crown, which might not make him the exact same person now that it's gone, but the difference in voice can be down to a new voice actor in the many years since WotLK, or it could be that the original voice actor is the same but they're older and not quite putting in the same performance (remember when everyone went crazy thinking they had changed Tyrande's voice in Mists and actually it turned out it's the same actress?)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    please go check lore before posting ....

Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    please go check lore before posting ....
    Which parts do you reckon I should check?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you misunderstood.

It's established that the Lich King has a consciousness all of his own, wearing the Helm brings with it an internal mental struggle against this will. Notice that when Arthas first put on the helm, he says "Now, we are one." The entity of the "Lich King" is not just Bolvar. It wasn't just Arthas. The "Lich King" is an amalgamation of consciousness. This internal power struggle is also reflected in Christie Golden's Lich King book, where Ner'zhul and Arthas fight for control. There's a bit of Ner'zhul in there, a bit of Arthas in there, and there's clearly a bit of some other evil presences in there too (which, while never previously explained will doubtlessly be explored in the coming Shadowlands lore).

Bolvar wearing the Helm =/= Bolvar without the helm. When the Helm falls from Arthas' head during the end of ICC cinematic, Arthas' voice changes, and for a moment before death he reverts from "The Lich King" to just "Arthas"

When Bolvar loses the helm to Sylvanas, he reverts from "The Lich King" (the entity we saw in the DK class campaign in Legion, which is an amalgamation of consciousness) to just Bolvar, the noble but tortured soul who chose to become the jailer of the damned and put on the crown in WotLK.

Bolvar himself has probably been affected by his time as the Lich King, but he's not the same person as he is with the helm on, so his voice and personality changing somewhat after the helm is taken from him is not at all unexpected, nor any kind of retcon.

Hopefully that explains what's happening. Any questions, let me know

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt Bolvar has been affected by his time wearing the crown, which might not make him the exact same person now that it's gone, but the difference in voice can be down to a new voice actor in the many years since WotLK, or it could be that the original voice actor is the same but they're older and not quite putting in the same performance (remember when everyone went crazy thinking they had changed Tyrande's voice in Mists and actually it turned out it's the same actress?)
    He had an evil voice with the helm in legion. In bfa his voice was "normal" again even with the helm, like it was in the shadowlands cinematic. Possibly just blizzard consistancy at work here, but the personality changes between xpacks are just annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    I don't think you understood what they're saying. Arthas with helm -> deep evil voice. Arthas without helm -> regular human sounding voice. Bolvar with helm -> deep evil voice. Bolvar without helm -> regular human sounding voice.

Yes his voice in Legion was the deep evil sounding voice. He had the helmet on.
    His voice was normal in bfa even with the helm.

10+ Year Old Account
    His voice was normal in bfa even with the helm.
    Where in BFA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHi8-TZEwjY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eQt0xT_oQ

Sounds more or less like the same voice to me, excusing small differences in voice actor performances. Compared to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4gBChg6AII&t=3m59s which is definitely different from either of the above.

I never found Bolvar the Lich King to be "evil" during Legion. He felt like a ruthlessly pragmatic character. He wasn't trying to kill you; he was just pretty upfront that if you weren't a Deathlord up to the task of defending Azeroth, he wouldn't step in to save you and would prefer to see you replaced with someone more capable.

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered the part where Bolvar sent us on a killing spree into the crypts beneath Light's Hope chapel to steal Tirion's Body... all as a test of loyalty. Yeah, killing dozens of innocent paladins (WHO ARE FIGHTING WITH US AGAINST THE LEGION) over a test of loyalty is pretty evil. Not to mention, the implications that the Lich King has been murdering Red Dragons too...
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-11-04 at 10:03 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I never found Bolvar the Lich King to be "evil" during Legion. He felt like a ruthlessly pragmatic character. He wasn't trying to kill you; he was just pretty upfront that if you weren't a Deathlord up to the task of defending Azeroth, he wouldn't step in to save you and would prefer to see you replaced with someone more capable.

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered the part where Bolvar sent us on a killing spree into the crypts beneath Light's Hope chapel to steal Tirion's Body... all as a test of loyalty. Yeah, killing dozens of innocent paladins (WHO ARE FIGHTING WITH US AGAINST THE LEGION) over a test of loyalty is pretty evil. Not to mention, the implications that the Lich King has been murdering Red Dragons too...
    It's worth noting that originally we raided the crypts of Light's Hope in order to properly raise Tirion, even the early alpha/beta had us successful in raising him, he had a unique model and everything. They were forced to change it after paladin players chucked a tantrum. Unfortunately rather than creating an entire different finale they just kept what was coded in already and edited the final order hall follower. Early alpha/beta also had us knocking out or distracting the paladins, not killing them.

As for the OP, there are plenty of inconsistencies in the game to complain about. The consistency of Bolvar's voice is most definitely not one of them.
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯