Poll: Is Shadowlands the worst expac launch cinematic ever?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It looked cool, but story telling wise, yeah was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    I don't think the cinematic itself is bad. In fact, i thought it was really good as always. What happens in the cinematic definitely is though.

We're all sick and tired of Sylvanas being pushed down our throats and now as if it wasn't enough, they show her mopping the floor with one of the most iconic WoW characters. How did they think people were going to react?

The Diablo one was actually really good. I've never played a Diablo game before, but even i am excited for this one.
    Actually no she did not mop the floor with one of the most iconic characters in WoW, THAT character we killed a while back and this guy took on the job of keeping the scourge in order. Also i dont get why people is so surprised that we will hunt after Sylvanas and see what shit she is up too. And that she was able to kick Bolvars ass why is that soo surprising? Bolvar was never an equal to Arthas neither living and i assume nor in death.

As much as I loved MoP as an expac, it had the worst Opening Cinematic.

This one is technically great (as always), but is lacking a "waw" moment or a memorable voiceover. The action is okay but no more (throwing rocks and shit), and the overall environment is too foggy to determine anything from the expac especially from the point of view of a new player (okay she opened a hole in a sky, are w'all dead ? As long-time players we know it breaks the veil to Shadowlands, but this cinematic is too vague).

On a narrative point of view it's disjointed. And on an action point of view we're missing stuff. Sylvanas erasing the whole army + dealing the first hits to Bolvar, from what we see Bolvar lands one hammer hit and immediately switches to throwing rocks and using Remorseless Winter without trying regular stuff. We should have felt he tried everything before risking it all with 5-seconds cast during which Sylvanas could have taken the helmet with her hands. But we didn't, this encounter was too short imo, due to us missing the entire first part.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlands-is-fake View Post
    It looked visually stunning of course, but I hated what it was all about. I didn't like the narrow scope. The Battle for Azeroth cinematic gave me goosebumps, when Anduin rallied is forced. As did Legion's, when Varian charged into battle for Azeroth. As did WoD's, when the Dark Portal emerged to the sound of beating drums. And so on. They've all felt really epic and done a great job so far.

But this one:

1. It gives us more of Sylvanas, and I hate her with all my guts. She's a terrible character, has terrible voice acting, and just takes up way too much space in the WoW lore right now.

2. It shows us the Lich King as weak.

3. It has a super narrow scope. No sweeping views (except for the one at the end), not a lot of characters, no (in my opinion) bombastic moments where the good guys charge in, etc. It's all just awful and depressing. One bad guy beating another slightly less bad guy.
    Or perhaps it shows us that Somehow Sylvanas have gotten immense power from someone or something, and you expect us to not follow through and hunt after her when she ripped a new asshole in the sky?`We should go do something other then trying to fix this somehow?

Lol the OP hoped to find assurance here but he found he is MINORITY.

I was surprised to see the mixed reception for this one... and then I wasn't.

Further proof of a deep generational chasm that divides the WoW community into two camps; the twentysomething game sophisticates with 15 to 20 years of top-shelf game consumption to their name, and an unruly kid crew with Arthas avatars and tributes to Bolvar in their signatures. It's not that the latter generation is a lost cause entirely, but they've clearly never seen a cinematic like "Shadowlands" — that is, they've never encountered a visual experience quite as distinctive as Shadowlands. "But I know WoW! Cata was the first game I bought!" First off, ask for a refund. And no, you don't know WoW, you know a very stilted and subdued version of the iconic franchise.

The WoW of "Shadowlands" is WoW as WoW is intended to be seen. It very skillfully vacillates between a range of tones; its philosophical, then exhilarating, then emotional, then philsophical again, then almost comedic. (And yes, that's how WoW is supposed to be.) It's intelligent. It's action packed. It's slightly absurd. It's fully engaged with the audience. It's expressive in ways that "technically superior" cinematics just aren't. It's brilliant. You have no idea how brilliant it is.

This is probably the purest attempt Blizz has made to harness some of that ineffable charm that made its early work so irresistible. I adore it.
    Last edited by Zexaniro; 2019-11-04 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungo View Post
    So you think the Shadowlands cinematic is better than the WotLK cinematic?
    Yup. Wasn't much a fan of that one. The ending was pretty cool, but the lead in was meh. Never a fan of Arthas.

Wasn't the best one, wasn't the worst one. But then again, perhaps i'm just a chump enjoying the ride in my spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlands-is-fake View Post
    2. It shows us the Lich King as weak.
    Let's see, Bolvar is a pure sole whose only intention of taking that mantel was to keep the scourge at bay, not to gain power like the impure soul in Arthas. Arthas was corrupted and train in the ways of Death magics and fully bonded with the powers of the LK, had Frostmourne, and the Plate of the Damned. Bolvar just had the Helm, which he has spent his entire time trying not to become merged with the LK. So this was really just a fight between a very powerful Paladin vs. Sylvanas. A Sylvanas, who has been gaining powers and strength since day one she was killed and brought back, and one who has gotten more powers from the Jailer.

So this really was a one sided fight from the start.

The Diablo 4 cinematic is probably the best blizzard have ever done so the shadowlands one kinda pales in comparison imo.

Even just comparing wow cinematic I say it's one of the less good ones.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    It looked about as good as they normally do (Though the Icecrown color palette was significantly weaker than the WotLK version), but the story it was telling was nonsensical.

Even if we sidestep the awful story, it just felt flat. Bad stories can capture impressive moments (WoD's cinematic is a great example of this - awful expansion and story, great intro cinematic). Shadowlands is overly theatrical in the worst of ways, it's weak story-wise, the color palette is lackluster, etc.

Did anyone else find the Helm of Domination to look weird this time around? Specifically during the time when it goes from Bolvar to Sylvanas.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand how it's cool to not ask questions and get excited for next products when you're a Blizzdrone /shrug
    What questions to ask? Play the game if it's fun, move on if it's not. No biggie if it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    Or perhaps it shows us that Somehow Sylvanas have gotten immense power from someone or something, and you expect us to not follow through and hunt after her when she ripped a new asshole in the sky?`We should go do something other then trying to fix this somehow?
    Erm I dunno, we spent most of Battle for Azeroth doing whatever the fuck we wanted and we probably won't do shit to solve Azeroth's main problem - A giant sword in her bum

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m the only one out of my IRL friends that plays WoW and when I showed it to my friends (they play shit like 2K), they thought it looked amazing. From a visual aspect the cinematic is great, and the story IMO isn’t that hard to wrap your head around if you listened to the devs explain it at BlizzCon.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Imagine being so simple to think that if somebody enjoys something they are a drone. You keep on fighting the good fight keyboard warrior! I'll be here enjoying 9.0 when it releases. And guess what? If I end up not enjoying it I will just play something else, rather than spend the next 4-5 years of my life obsessing over sometime I clearly don't enjoy and telling everyone I can find how bad it is

/Shrug
    That's the mantra these days on the WoW forums, if you like something you are a fanboy, a white knight, or a brainwashed drone. It's hilarious seeing all these people that still pay money, or support a premium subscription model for a game they really despise. Or those that don't play or haven't played in a while still here to stir the pot. And those of us who like the game are delusional.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    What? The cinematic was stellar. Really cool visuals with the sky breaking like a mirror. Not the best, but still pretty good.
    - Dare not to sleep -

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well. Lich king deserved to be in a cinematic when being destroyed. So if You think that way, it is ok.
    Better the helm got Destroyed in a quality cinematic than in a bad ingame scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    I’m the only one out of my IRL friends that plays WoW and when I showed it to my friends (they play shit like 2K), they thought it looked amazing. From a visual aspect the cinematic is great, and the story IMO isn’t that hard to wrap your head around if you listened to the devs explain it at BlizzCon.
    Exactly this. Sylv has obviously been working with the Lord of the Dead for a while, as i think she has something to do with all the souls going to the Maw instead of the Covenants. She is empowered by said Lord of the Dead, and Bolvar was not as strong as Arthas as the Lich King. Bolvar took the mantle because it "had to be done", not because he was superior to Arthas. Hell any interaction you had with him, he was borderline teetering on surrender to the helm. How is it so hard to understand that Sylv has powers that A) she outmaneuvered Azshara and N'zoth, B) has always been a step ahead of the horde and alliance, and C) has literally had centuries to learn tactics and strategy. Top all that with a new power player in this game of 4D chess giving her powers from beyond the grave....Bolvar never stood a chance.

I can see all this and i hate Sylv....
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Nice biased poll btw. No it was amazing, quality wise as is expected from Blizzard, though the Diablo 4 cinematic was significantly better imo.

As far as the story goes though that's different. It's kinda sad that the team that makes those cinematic takes months to make them, only for them to come out and the first thing they see is people shitting on them.

Imo that team and Visual Works from square make the best cinematics in the industry.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's better than MoP and Legion.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    We're all sick and tired of Sylvanas being pushed down our throats and now as if it wasn't enough, they show her mopping the floor with one of the most iconic WoW characters. How did they think people were going to react?
    Wrong. Arthas was the iconic character and I'm sure he would have mopped the floor with Sylvanas, just like he has done before.
    Bolvar was just some generic Paladin who was fried to a crisp by the Red Dragonflight at the Wrath Gate. He has done nothing but sit on his ass for the past decade ever since he took up the mantle.

Believe me. I'm just as sick of Sylvanas and her fanboys. But I really don't find the outcome of their battle to be beyond belief.