Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Emotional Manipulation- Bad Idea for WoW?

It's pretty clear that the Bolvar/Sylvanas cinematic was designed to get the audience hating Sylvanas and wanting her to die, to hype up a confrontation with her in Shadowlands.

But as we can see in the comments everywhere, people are hating Blizzard instead. Some people think that Sylvanas will get away with everything, some people think it's a girl power fantasy, others are calling it the worst cinematic ever and swearing off the franchise.

Is it worth it to make an audience mad about the story? Because I think it's driving people away from the franchise moreso than making people want to buy to kill Sylvanas.

WoW's story has always been bad or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Banshee

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    It's pretty clear that the Bolvar/Sylvanas cinematic was designed to get the audience hating Sylvanas and wanting her to die, to hype up a confrontation with her in Shadowlands.

But as we can see in the comments everywhere, people are hating Blizzard instead. Some people think that Sylvanas will get away with everything, some people think it's a girl power fantasy, others are calling it the worst cinematic ever and swearing off the franchise.

Is it worth it to make an audience mad about the story? Because I think it's driving people away from the franchise moreso than making people want to buy to kill Sylvanas.
    Listen to me when I say this:

There is literally nothing they can do, no story they can tell, no design they can come up with, no cinematic they can render with the most fantastic of computers that will make the whiny, bitching, vocal minority happy. So they just need to tell the story they want to tell because somebody, somewhere, is going to rage and bitch regardless.

And if Bolvar had won their fight, you can bet your ass that all the Sylvanas fanbois would be out in force, raging about that just as people have complained that he lost.

I didn't like the cinematic at all, not because Sylvanas won, but because it wasn't an interesting or balanced fight. She walks up with her smug little smirk and has an answer for everything he does. I don't think he should have defeated her - especially with what we know about the Jailer now - but the fight would have been more interesting if it painted at least the slightest possibility that maybe this time, she bit off more than she could chew.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2019-11-04 at 05:15 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Others are extreemly hyped vecause no one saw the helm's destruction or the sky breakig coming. You are just seeing what you chose to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Listen to me when I say this:

There is literally nothing they can do, no story they can tell, no design they can come up with, no cinematic they can render with the most fantastic of computers that will make the whiny, bitching, vocal minority happy. So they just need to tell the story they want to tell because somebody, somewhere, is going to rage and bitch regardless.

And if Bolvar had won their fight, you can bet your ass that all the Sylvanas fanbois would be out in force, raging about that just as people have complained that he lost.

I didn't like the cinematic at all, not because Sylvanas won, but because it wasn't an interesting or balanced fight. She walks up with her smug little smirk and has an answer for everything he does. I don't think he should have defeated her - especially with what we know about the Jailer now - but the fight would have been more interesting if it painted at least the slightest possibility that maybe this time, she bit off more than she could chew.
    I agree with you.

There was nothing "cinematic" about the fight.
    Blizzard should have taken notes from Anime.

There was no "suffering"...there was no "battle" to surpass adversity...there was no ups and downs.
    There was just...Sylvanas...

I like Bolvar miles more than Sylvanas and I thought the cinematic was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen of Lordaeron View Post
    I like Bolvar miles more than Sylvanas and I thought the cinematic was fantastic.
    This is me 100%.
    #TeamTinkers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen of Lordaeron View Post
    The moment when he stood up and changed his aura to 'Lich King mode' was fucking epic.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I fear the same, that they're forcing us to hate her.

And I don't mean the cinematic, which I didn't like by the way... but I meant 3 previous expansions.
    She was mysterious, cunning and smart. She was working under the shadow. She was the cult-master, even among the players... Glory to the Dark Lady!

...then she became warchief and everything has changed.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-11-04 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah because it's nonsensical that Sylvanas completely destroyed Bolvar with absolutely no difficulty when she didn't even do that against Saurfang.

Cinematic itself was great they all are. But the content itself was absolutely awful.

The moment when he stood up and changed his aura to 'Lich King mode' was fucking epic.
    Indeed, also, I feel like the final battle of the expansion will have the opposite cinematic. Sylvannas went in with a plan, knew what she was doing, and knew Bolvar had no idea what was happening.

At the end, bolvar will have a plan and will be the one to chain her up.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

^^ This.

The cinematic was about subverting expectations. If you watch the fight carefully, it has the same beats as the ICC fight: undead hordes, blizzard storm, it's not like we haven't killed Arthas a zillion times; Sylvanas went in having read the guidebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Yeah because it's nonsensical that Sylvanas completely destroyed Bolvar with absolutely no difficulty when she didn't even do that against Saurfang.

Cinematic itself was great they all are. But the content itself was absolutely awful.
    The consensus seems to be that she was toying with Saurfang, didn't take him seriously, where as she clearly wasn't messing around with the Lich King. Seemed more focused/intent on winning.

I really disagree with this assessment. I'm still onboard with Sylvanas. She's exciting, she's actually making things happen. And with each development it's becoming more and more apparent she's got a plan, for something big, important.
    Unless it turns out to be pretty much all about self-serving purposes, i'll stand by her to the end.

Not everyone is a carebear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Indeed, also, I feel like the final battle of the expansion will have the opposite cinematic. Sylvannas went in with a plan, knew what she was doing, and knew Bolvar had no idea what was happening.

At the end, bolvar will have a plan and will be the one to chain her up.
    I agree, Blizz can redeem this cinematic rather easily by making Sylvanas having her ass handed by Bolvar or Arthas (or man I'd even be finde with Anduin).

Apart from that I have only one complaint about the cinematic: It's not gonna make people come back to the game.
    Don't know about you guys, but the major reason I don't have a lot of fun in the game anymore isn't any of the bad class/AP/whatever designs but that literally everyone I knew quit the game. Asking ppl if they were hyped and would return so far more or less yields the answer "I saw the announcement but meh".

It's nice that they are trying to fix their design mistakes in Shadowlands but what was desperately needed was the Illidan/Legion effect 2.0 with the Lich King.

I think was bad because Bolvar was unable to do anything, not even a single blow, that was really frustrating to watch.

It kinda destroyed the Lich King as a figure. I only hope Sylvanas' storyline finish once and for all in Shadowlands.

I wanna see new stories.

Any story even half worth it’s salt will emotionally “manipulate” the reader/viewer - if you DON’T feel an emotional response you’re probably a sociopath
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account

Its pretty clear you do not know what you are talking about

Beating the shit out of the human torch was amusing as hell, because it was so ridiculous, but having sympathy with the burning Popsicle? Never. So here I will see this story through, just like every train wreck while playing the game with some pals.

Sure you have a point with blizz trying to cash in on some easy outrage points, but ultimately the whole shenanigans are pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Any story even half worth it’s salt will emotionally “manipulate” the reader/viewer - if you DON’T feel an emotional response you’re probably a sociopath
    Too bad blizz can't really write such stories.

well she didn't use her magical powers against saurfang since it was a pure strength combat, and once she showed her true power it was an instant death for saurfang !

also keep in mind that each dying soul increases her power which means after thousands of death during N'zoth encounter she's significantly stronger right now !