Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The purpose of the Second Amendment in action....https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...lar-denver-gun

A homeowner in Colorado shot a man who was allegedly trying to break into his home early Saturday after warning multiple times he had a weapon, according to officials and family members.

Police told FOX31 that when Rivers wasn't able to get in through the front door, he began damaging furniture on the porch and broke the front window.

When he tried to go through the front window of the home, officials said the homeowner fired his weapon several times at Rivers, striking him in the arm. The 25-year-old was transported to an area hospital with a non-life threatening injury, according to police.

The homeowners told FOX31 they have no connection to Rivers.

Maybe he was high on drugs?
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-11-04 at 12:16 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The purpose of the Second Amendment in action....https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...lar-denver-gun

A homeowner in Colorado shot a man who was allegedly trying to break into his home early Saturday after warning multiple times he had a weapon, according to officials and family members.

Police told FOX31 that when Rivers wasn't able to get in through the front door, he began damaging furniture on the porch and broke the front window.

When he tried to go through the front window of the home, officials said the homeowner fired his weapon several times at Rivers, striking him in the arm. The 25-year-old was transported to an area hospital with a non-life threatening injury, according to police.

The homeowners told FOX31 they have no connection to Rivers.

Maybe he was high on drugs?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Just how is anyone supposed to control for "those illegal in the country or who have been convicted of certain crimes" if there are no background checks?

Also, just certain crimes?

No wonder US police have such a hard time, they effectively have to assume that everyone is armed.
    You have to legally be allowed to posses a firearm to legally carry it concealed legally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Even low end estimates put defensive firearm usage at 50,000+ a year, not really an outlier.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    still have to pass a background check to purchase the firearm but by all means keep clutching your pearl necklace and crying out in horror
    That's odd, so they have to pass a background check to purchase but not to carry? I guess background checks are not a requirement for private purchases though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    They don't have to assume that everyone is armed, just that criminals could be armed. Which is not really very different from anywhere.
    I forgot that US police are trained in clairvoyance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another example of why the AR-15 is a great home defense weapon for some maybe weaker, less trained or talented shooters....https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-p...ar-15-burglary

A Florida woman who was eight-months pregnant and came out wielding an AR-15 rifle reportedly saved her husband and pre-teen daughter last week from a pair of violent intruders who'd broken into the family's home -- with the gun-toting matriarch fatally striking one of the men, who was later found dead in a nearby ditch.

Jeremy King was at his home in Lithia, 25 miles southeast of Tampa, at 9 p.m. Wednesday night when two armed men, wearing masks and hoods, broke inside.

"As soon as they had got the back door opened, they had a pistol on me and was grabbing my 11-year-old daughter,” King told Bay News 9. “I’m telling them, ‘I have nothing for you,' and they’re like, ‘Give me everything you got.’ It became real violent, real fast.”

King said one of the burglars pistol-whipped him and another kicked him in the head, creating a commotion that attracted the attention of his wife, who walked into the room to see what the noise was -- and soon found herself dodging a bullet.

The woman, who was not identified, reportedly retreated and grabbed an AR-15 that was legally inside their house, returning to the room and shooting the intruders, hitting one of them.

“When he came toward the back door in her line of sight, she clipped him,” King said of his wife. “He made it from my back door to roughly 200 feet out in the front ditch before the AR did its thing.”

The man was later found dead in the ditch, according to the news outlet. The other burglar fled when his friend was shot.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-11-04 at 02:54 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    That's odd, so they have to pass a background check to purchase but not to carry? I guess background checks are not a requirement for private purchases though.
    If someone is legally prohibited from owning a firearm but does anyway, then the lack of a permit is not going to keep them from concealed carrying. And if a concealed firearm comes to the attention (and possession) of the police, they can easily trace the source to find out if that firearm, and therefore the carrier, are legal or prohibited.

Oh, man, now you're not even trying. US Police sometimes come into contact with people who are committing crimes while in possession of a weapon. Just like every single other police force ever, anywhere in the world.

Do they have to be vigilant? Duh. Do they have to be obsessively paranoid? Of course not. Nobody is asking or expecting them to be clairvoyant, that's the whole damn point.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    If someone is legally prohibited from owning a firearm but does anyway, then the lack of a permit is not going to keep them from concealed carrying. And if a concealed firearm comes to the attention (and possession) of the police, they can easily trace the source to find out if that firearm, and therefore the carrier, are legal or prohibited.
    Which helps absolutely nothing with finding the ones selling guns to criminals.

Training is optional in every case, right? So there are, what 14 states, where untrained civilians run around with concealed guns? Yeah, I'd feel safe in such an environment.

Oh, man, now you're not even trying. US Police sometimes come into contact with people who are committing crimes while in possession of a weapon. Just like every single other police force ever, anywhere in the world.

Do they have to be vigilant? Duh. Do they have to be obsessively paranoid? Of course not. Nobody is asking or expecting them to be clairvoyant, that's the whole damn point.
    And they know about someone being a criminal beforehand or after the fact?

Over here the police don't expect someone to be armed, not even most of the criminals.

I really don't quite understand why the US public hates their police forces that much that they want to make their work and life harder and more dangerous. With online marketplaces that don't even try to put reasonable rules in place pretty much everyone can buy a firearm.

I get that people don't want the government to know if or how many guns they own, especially with what is currently going on in the US, but knowledge of purchase must not be part of a background check or an issued license that must be provided and can be checked by private sellers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another example of why the AR-15 is a great home defense weapon for some maybe weaker, less trained or talented shooters....https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-p...ar-15-burglary

A Florida woman who was eight-months pregnant and came out wielding an AR-15 rifle reportedly saved her husband and pre-teen daughter last week from a pair of violent intruders who'd broken into the family's home -- with the gun-toting matriarch fatally striking one of the men, who was later found dead in a nearby ditch.

Jeremy King was at his home in Lithia, 25 miles southeast of Tampa, at 9 p.m. Wednesday night when two armed men, wearing masks and hoods, broke inside.

"As soon as they had got the back door opened, they had a pistol on me and was grabbing my 11-year-old daughter,” King told Bay News 9. “I’m telling them, ‘I have nothing for you,' and they’re like, ‘Give me everything you got.’ It became real violent, real fast.”

King said one of the burglars pistol-whipped him and another kicked him in the head, creating a commotion that attracted the attention of his wife, who walked into the room to see what the noise was -- and soon found herself dodging a bullet.

The woman, who was not identified, reportedly retreated and grabbed an AR-15 that was legally inside their house, returning to the room and shooting the intruders, hitting one of them.

“When he came toward the back door in her line of sight, she clipped him,” King said of his wife. “He made it from my back door to roughly 200 feet out in the front ditch before the AR did its thing.”

The man was later found dead in the ditch, according to the news outlet. The other burglar fled when his friend was shot.
    Couldn't the same situation had played out if she was using a pistol though?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    No, because the armed robbers were ARMED with pistols themselves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're making the assumption that the US police are trained.
    By Western European standards they are not. They are given a three week primer, a badge, and a gun. Not training or education.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    No, because the armed robbers were ARMED with pistols themselves.
    That doesn’t make sense. One guy got shot, and they ran. Why wouldn’t getting shot with a pistol make then run just the same?

Left - Why do you need guns, have the police protect you
    Also the left - Do not trust they police, they are not properly trained and will shoot you.

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome!

Possibly, but less likely. It's easier to aim and control a rifle than a pistol.
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Possibly, but less likely. It's easier to aim and control a rifle than a pistol.
    That is possible. Though you may as well just use a shotgun.

That is possible. Though you may as well just use a shotgun.
    A shotgun is a lot more recoil than a medium caliber rifle or a handgun, much lower capacity. Main advantage is either a massive slug or multiple pellets, neither of which is much of an advantage in these situations.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

5+ Year Old Account
    That doesn’t make sense. One guy got shot, and they ran. Why wouldn’t getting shot with a pistol make then run just the same?
    One guy getting shot by an automatic assault rifle is not the same thing as getting shot by a pistol. Who knows how many bullets the pregnant lady sprayed at him before one of them hit the mark? Attempting the same thing with 1 semiautomatic pistol against two would've been suicide unless she was a marksman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    One guy getting shot by an automatic assault rifle is not the same thing as getting shot by a pistol. Who knows how many bullets the pregnant lady sprayed at him before one of them hit the mark? Attempting the same thing with 1 semiautomatic pistol against two would've been suicide unless she was a marksman.
    FYI. AR-15 is a Semi Automatic Rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    A shotgun is a lot more recoil than a medium caliber rifle or a handgun, much lower capacity. Main advantage is either a massive slug or multiple pellets, neither of which is much of an advantage in these situations.
    I think i'd stick with the Pistol if I couldn't handle the recoil of a shotgun then.

Though I do understand that an AR is super easy to control. Just seems a bit much for in home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Left - Why do you need guns, have the police protect you
    Also the left - Do not trust they police, they are not properly trained and will shoot you.
    Right - We need the guns! The police will not be there to protect you!
    Also the right - Trust the police! They are well trained and will shoot the bad guys.

Bonus Question - If you shoot a home invader which of the following weapons is most likely to penetrate the wall of your house and kill a bystander? AR15, Shotgun or Pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Also the right - Trust the police! They are well trained and will shoot the bad guys.

Bonus Question - If you shoot a home invader which of the following weapons is most likely to penetrate the wall of your house and kill a bystander? AR15, Shotgun or Pistol?
    Gun owners don't say the police won't protect you, they say you can't always wait on police response time.

FYI. AR-15 is a Semi Automatic Rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

I think i'd stick with the Pistol if I couldn't handle the recoil of a shotgun then.

Though I do understand that an AR is super easy to control. Just seems a bit much for in home defense.
    The main problem with an AR15 (in 5.56) is the noise. Otherwise it is generally superior for use in the home.

To use a variant debate, a rifle in 9mm is easier to handle and slightly more powerful than the same 9mm in a pistol (given the longer barrel). A stock is a great assist in handling and recoil management.

Then when you add the 5.56 round back into things (in the non 62gr penetrator field), you have a lesser recoiling longer range round that is less likely to over penetrate or deflect.

Of course, anything you're comfortable with is better than something you don't want to use, and most handguns will be "enough", but why try to find the minimum needed to do the job?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    "We like the police, but they won't be everywhere so prepare yourself" is not a contradiction.

Shotgun is worst (assuming 12g), pistol depends on caliber (22lr won't get very far), ar15 in 5.56 is best depending on round.

Of course there are other decisions to be made when selecting a firearm for home defense, but the main virtue of a handgun is that it can be carried on your person.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."