Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

SWTOR looking to have a future.

Seems SWTOR is still bringing in nice money for EA, Enough that they went from their 50-60 staff to near 200 with their newest Expansion.

Perhaps EA is finally becoming willing to put more work back into it. Here is hoping.

I mean, I played it at launch and it was fine. I'm sure it's still a decent game in 2019 - I would personally give it another shot if they overhauled the engine at some point. That was one of the main reasons I quit playing, it just wasn't optimized and felt clunky.

with the story short and going nowhere fast, the crafting killed dead, everyting costing much much more and gearing critized a lot, I don't think the new expansion is going to have a good retention for returning players ^^

I played a ton when ranked pvp first came out until about half way into the 3rd season. Loved the heck out of it. Every time I have come back since seeing that people are still doing the same pve content just in a ramped up difficulty kills it for me. At some point one of the updates or expansions wiped my UI settings and that is enough to keep me from diving back in. I have seen some of the new stuff though and would like to jump back in a bit, but between none of the people I know playing anymore, not having time for another game and having zero faith in EA I doubt I will ever go back to it. SWTOR just ends up being a game that could have been so much better than it ended up being.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

1 billion dollars is a lot of money. But the game came out like 10 years ago. So over time that billion isn’t that much. The game has also cost a lot of money during these 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    1 billion dollars is a lot of money. But the game came out like 10 years ago. So over time that billion isn’t that much. The game has also cost a lot of money during these 10 years.
    It's actually 7. Going to hit 8 in the end of the year.

OP, i would like to know the source for what you are saying, cause i still believe the dev team is 50-60 from the Onslaught credits. There were just a lot of executive/marketing people credited across bioware, EA and lucasfilm.
    I would be really happy if EA was betting on it again, for real. That comment sure is encouraging though. Now to know wether he wants to invest more to increase the revenue or just wants to keep the money coming at tbe same pace with no changes. It's EA though and EA wants all the money. Can be both good and bad for the game if execs put their grubby hands on it again. We'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    with the story short and going nowhere fast, the crafting killed dead, everyting costing much much more and gearing critized a lot, I don't think the new expansion is going to have a good retention for returning players ^^
    I dunno about that. People are loving the increased difficulty and the gearing is quite fun once you clear the vertical progression. Just making things harder and forcing you to do mechanics rather than just roll your face makes encounters far more fun to overcome.
    Crafting is tough, but it seems intentional. I would like for them to make it a tad easier, but this xpac is really good. Probably the best one ever, bar revan. I am convinced it will retain players better than any of the previous 2.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-11-04 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Crafting is tough, but it seems intentional.
    The question is, what's the intent of making crafting so difficult? It makes no sense to me that I need 4 weeks worth of Conquest rewards to craft one level 284 rare quality lightsaber hilt.
    Last edited by gamz247; 2019-11-04 at 03:52 PM.

have you looked at what you need for a simple armor mod 77 (something like 274 index I think) ?
    people are farming dungeons until 306, so what's the use to have entry level stuff so hard when they are not even strong, and will be obsolete a few days/weeks after you get max level ?
    the story itself give you a full equipment in 268, and the first box and loots give you green 270
    seriously why ?

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    The question is, what's the intent of making crafting so difficult? It makes no sense to me that I need 4 weeks worth of Conquest rewards to craft one level 284 rare quality lightsaber hilt.
    I mean it's intentional as they want it to affect the economy. But you got me. I think it's way too difficult and really makes little sense.

But, you can also get a hilt quickly if you get your gear to 306 wich can be done in 3 days. So, you don't even need that.

I loved that game in the beginning... but it did not age well sadly. Looks... just off... but that is everyones own opinion.

That is a weird thing to say. What exactly hasn't aged well? Cause the graphics certainly have.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I mean it's intentional as they want it to affect the economy. But you got me. I think it's way too difficult and really makes little sense.

But, you can also get a hilt quickly if you get your gear to 306 wich can be done in 3 days. So, you don't even need that.
    And once you've gotten your item level up (300+), you can send a set to your alt, who then will start getting 300+ loot straight away.

Gearing has never been easier. I've mostly heard complaints from people who for some reason refuse to do flashpoints.

The problem is that it may be a little bit too easy, which may lead to nerfs soon.

The quality of content updates has gone up and the new systems in place are most likely giving it a bit of longevity. However I am still on the fence about the studio as a whole. Many patches are still launching with bugs that are downright game breaking at times including dailies being uncompletable. The time frame for these fixes goes beyond weeks as there is still a bugged daily quest from the launch of onslaught that is still not fixed as far as I know. I hope they can start to pick up the pace on fixes for these issues otherwise it's going to drive any potential resurgence of players out.
    Click my referral link for 7 days of free sub time to SWTOR and a starter package: http://www.swtor.com/r/mZNBRj
    Thank you for any referrals!

Yeah, it's a pretty solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aevic View Post
    The quality of content updates has gone up and the new systems in place are most likely giving it a bit of longevity. However I am still on the fence about the studio as a whole. Many patches are still launching with bugs that are downright game breaking at times including dailies being uncompletable. The time frame for these fixes goes beyond weeks as there is still a bugged daily quest from the launch of onslaught that is still not fixed as far as I know. I hope they can start to pick up the pace on fixes for these issues otherwise it's going to drive any potential resurgence of players out.
    If you mean the final log one it's been fixed for a week now. All the dailies in Rep side i can confirm are working. The Empire side ones were all completeable as well. There was one that was pointing you to the wrong spot but if you looked around you could find the right objective.

But yes, it's not new for anyone now that they don't have a huge team. But this is much better than it was previously by a big margin. It is now properly supported. It doesn't have the support WoW and FFXIV have, for sure. I am more concerned about how strong Amps are atm and how RNG they are.
    To give you a comparison, they left a credit exploit inthe game for months before they fixed it (wich was what screwed the economy). Nowadays they brought the servers down immediately to fix an exploit in PvP. This is a strong step forward. Hopefully they get more support so it can be comparable to the big mmo's.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-11-22 at 09:50 PM.

The game is great. Its a complete b.s. that its lacks end game and so on. If you play 24/7 every game will get boring at some point.
    If you play normal and do random stuff(end game) you will be more than perfect and happy with the game.
    Plenty of variety in the end game like FP, Daily Quests, Warzones, Galactic Starfighter, Operations, Special Events, Space Missions, World PvP, Heroics as well and a lot more thing to be done to be fair.

I play ESO as well, but to me TOR looks like its the newer game and i like the gameplay way better. The cut scene cinematics inside the game is great.
    The rotation in TOR is years ahead compare to the competitors. Its actually rotation, not just repeat 2-3 skills.

And to be fair i really like that you can do most stuff alone. Dealing with MMO community is hard task. And to be fair i think everyone have phases where he like to do stuffs alone. I always have such days where i like to play solo. Just because the name of the genre is MMORPG, doesn`t mean you shouldn`t do most of the stuffs in solo.
    ESO is kinda similar.

SWTOR is great and if you like SW universe you will love it. The game with the best story in all MMORPG out there. Great cut scenes and plenty of variety in the end game, unless you want to do just 1 stuff like Operation and to expect every week or month new Operations/Raids.

i really do love swtor, i just wish they'd ease back on the outlander/commander character and let each character be a unique personality again. it's even gotten to the point now that the opposite faction's story doesn't even exist if do your faction. this is the wrong direction, i think.

like, the least they could do is add tiny little class specific things like they did in SoR. like, i really want to see what's up with my inquisitor's ghosts. did valkorian purge them? did my binding fail once i was incapacitated? it's lame to not know.

Hope it goes down along with EA.
    They made huge mistakes at beginning;
    Copying class skills from WoW. Pushing developer for an early release.
    Opening too too many servers at start.
    Having EU and US players share same forums, ignoring the request of server merges. Yea server was so empty that we were trading kills with other side to be able to get pvp stuff. And US plyers were telling us that we were exaggerating about low population of server.
    Instead of merging servers they released mighty oh yea Legacy system.
    And we all seen how subs went down after the legacy release.
    Ignore players and they ignore you.
    Bioware did a perfect job, i give this to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Hope it goes down along with EA.
    They made huge mistakes at beginning;
    Copying class skills from WoW. Pushing developer for an early release.
    Opening too too many servers at start.
    Having EU and US players share same forums, ignoring the request of server merges. Yea server was so empty that we were trading kills with other side to be able to get pvp stuff. And US plyers were telling us that we were exaggerating about low population of server.
    Instead of merging servers they released mighty oh yea Legacy system.
    And we all seen how subs went down after the legacy release.
    Ignore players and they ignore you.
    Bioware did a perfect job, i give this to them.
    What? What are you talking about?

I bought in the launch and liked it too but got tired after a while. But truth be told, I was already burnt of mmos in general having played wow for years. Played all campaigns and I have to say they are vastly superior to anything wow has put up along all its life.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.