Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Perhaps Fox News should stop reporting what she says. She's irrelevant after all. She lost the election. People on the right should just accept it and get over it, rather than obsessing over Hillary simply because the right is desperate to do anything to distract from how fucked Trump is.
    Yep, I bet any random day of the week, you can find a Hillary themed article on their website. Amazingly they didn't have one today. But the last time went to their shitty site, like 3 days ago, they had one like 4th in line, but yet, they didn't mention anything about the impeachment inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Yep, I bet any random day of the week, you can find a Hillary themed article on their website. Amazingly they didn't have one today. But the last time went to their shitty site, like 3 days ago, they had one like 4th in line, but yet, they didn't mention anything about the impeachment inquiry.
    Yesterday, the top two articles were both Hillary. I'm not surprised, it's a pretty standard tactic for Fox and others sites. Their guys are utter shit, so they want to focus on irrelevant things to pander to their readers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    I swear to god this woman will never shut her stupid mouth.
    I don't know of any liberals that actually care what she has to say. I know plenty of conservatives who are aching to know her every word.

Facebook is definitely in deep shit, the Democrats want to break it up because it's a massive monopoly and is clearly facilitating the spread of fake news, propaganda and hate. The Republicans apparently want to nationalise it (lol the irony) to stop conservative snowflakes from being banned for breaking the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Hillary Clinton is such a sore loser.
    And yet here we are in 2019 with Republicans still whining about Hillary. What's that, sore winners?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Wait.. are you saying you think Epstein was actually a suicide? Lol..
    I'm not saying one way or the other for fear of being Epsteined

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    I swear to god this woman will never shut her stupid mouth.
    she's spoken what 4-5 times since the election. Yet Romney wouldn't shut up after his loss and no one told him to and basically jumped right back into politics in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/hi...ok-1202186809/

I started on Yahoo, and found myself directed to this interesting article.

Basically it's Hillary's warning to Facebook and Google and other social media firms. I didn't think she had this kind of fire inside of her. In some sense, it's just plain good advice: America has given social media firms a lot of power and money, and she is suggesting that if they ABUSE this power, it could be taken away from them.

This I find to be her most interesting quote:

“It was an open society that enabled technology to be birthed and now be so dominant in our lives,” said Clinton. “It’s like a bad fairy tale. They are going to kill that golden goose. They are going to create a political system that is going to either come down too hard on them and squeeze them in ways that are not productive or continue to have a laissez faire attitude toward them where they continue to undermine our privacy and our freedom and our democracy. It could not be a more imperative challenge for us.”

She is saying this in a nice way, but the message seems to be: If they continue to undermine our privacy and democracy, then it is an imperative challenge to "come down too hard on them and squeeze them in ways that are not productive".
    I'm trying to figure out why no one held Radio and TV accountable for false adds, why only social media?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why no one held Radio and TV accountable for false adds, why only social media?
    You can't micro-target with either of those platforms. You can micro target with social media based on the profiles they've built for their users. This makes them far more effective. They're also far easier to create, as nearly any user can create them and run them relatively cheaply, whereas that's well outside the realm of possibility on TV/radio for all except local public networks that they may be able to afford. This extends to foreign powers too, as we're seeing more use of these platforms vs. radio/TV for advertising political content in the US.

Additionally, the ads on Facebook have largely appear to be more brazen lies than we've ever seen before. And we've seen networks decline to host ads in the past, especially recently as, mirroring their social media ad siblings, they've similarly gotten more insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You can't micro-target with either of those platforms. You can micro target with social media based on the profiles they've built for their users. This makes them far more effective. They're also far easier to create, as nearly any user can create them and run them relatively cheaply, whereas that's well outside the realm of possibility on TV/radio for all except local public networks that they may be able to afford. This extends to foreign powers too, as we're seeing more use of these platforms vs. radio/TV for advertising political content in the US.

Additionally, the ads on Facebook have largely appear to be more brazen lies than we've ever seen before. And we've seen networks decline to host ads in the past, especially recently as, mirroring their social media ad siblings, they've similarly gotten more insane.
    Not only can you target people by what shows you sponsor but for decades TV and Radio dominated where you got your information. So yeah BS

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only can you target people by what shows you sponsor but for decades TV and Radio dominated where you got your information. So yeah BS
    So you don't understand what "microtargeting" means, then, obviously.

So you didn't bother to read or address anything in my actual post.

You can target everyone watching/listening to that channel, but you can't micro-target on radio or TV because the tools don't exist. That makes online advertising more effective and allows for more tailored and misleading advertisements.

Also, see my comments on the content of those ads and the standards, including broadcast networks increasingly declining to host certain political ads mirroring the issues we're seeing on social media, which are far more amplified on that platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So you don't understand what "microtargeting" means, then, obviously.
    Yes I do but it just because you have a wider fishnet doesn't mean you can't catch the same fish, especially when there was limited places to fish. Try harder Endus.

- - - Updated - - -

So you didn't bother to read or address anything in my actual post.

You can target everyone watching/listening to that channel, but you can't micro-target on radio or TV because the tools don't exist. That makes online advertising more effective and allows for more tailored and misleading advertisements.

Also, see my comments on the content of those ads and the standards, including broadcast networks increasingly declining to host certain political ads mirroring the issues we're seeing on social media, which are far more amplified on that platform.
    See post above.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember the days before the internet but I saw way more political adds on TV than I ever did online. I can't even remember seeing a FB political ad

Yes I do but it just because you have a wider fishnet doesn't mean you can't catch the same fish, especially when there was limited places to fish. Try harder Endus.
    Literally the antithesis of microtargeting dude. You've made it clear you don't know what it is, why double down on that?

Not sure if you're old enough to remember the days before the internet but I saw way more political adds on TV than I ever did online. I can't even remember seeing a FB political ad
    Not the point. Already addressed this. Context matters, please actually read my post rather than casually trying to dismiss it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're casting a "wider net", you're not engaging in microtargeting. Literally the opposite of what the word means.

And really, I linked a description to you. There's no excuse for this.

Literally the antithesis of microtargeting dude. You've made it clear you don't know what it is, why double down on that?

Not the point. Already addressed this. Context matters, please actually read my post rather than casually trying to dismiss it.
    I do know what it is, I can't believe you can't understand my point of view on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you're casting a "wider net", you're not engaging in microtargeting. Literally the opposite of what the word means.

And really, I linked a description to you. There's no excuse for this.
    If I make an advertisement targeting a demographic what does it matter if I only reach them or I reach them plus thousands more? I think I would chose the latter

You seriously want to compare when most people watched 3 stations to a multitude of platforms where people get their entertainment?

I do know what it is, I can't believe you can't understand my point of view on it.
    If you know, you're not showing it. Your "wider net" analogy is literally the opposite of microtargeting. I don't understand your point of view because you're doing an extremely poor job in explaining it.

If I make an advertisement targeting a demographic what does it matter if I only reach them or I reach them plus thousands more? I think I would chose the latter
    1. It's cheaper to micro-target, letting you get more ads in front of more applicable folks rather than casting a "wide net" and catching a ton of people who won't be receptive. That makes advertising much more cost-effective.

2. You can use that micro-targeting to tailor ads to specific groups in a way that TV/radio could never hope to replicate.

Want to target conservatives to vote for X candidate? On TV/radio you have a few ad spots that have to be generic and appeal to a broader group. These types of ads aren't super effective.

On the internet/social media?
    - Tailored ads to "second amendment" people with that as the focal point.
    - Tailored ads to "pro-life" people with that as the focal point.
    - Tailored ads to "small government" people with that as the focal point.
    etc. etc. etc.

Those are FAR more effective because you can focus on the areas that people care the most about.

If you choose the latter, you're blowing tons of money on ineffective ads and are still thinking about campaigning/advertising as if it's the 90's.

If you know, you're not showing it. Your "wider net" analogy is literally the opposite of microtargeting. I don't understand your point of view because you're doing an extremely poor job in explaining it.

1. It's cheaper to micro-target, letting you get more ads in front of more applicable folks rather than casting a "wide net" and catching a ton of people who won't be receptive. That makes advertising much more cost-effective.

2. You can use that micro-targeting to tailor ads to specific groups in a way that TV/radio could never hope to replicate.

Want to target conservatives to vote for X candidate? On TV/radio you have a few ad spots that have to be generic and appeal to a broader group. These types of ads aren't super effective.

On the internet/social media?
    - Tailored ads to "second amendment" people with that as the focal point.
    - Tailored ads to "pro-life" people with that as the focal point.
    - Tailored ads to "small government" people with that as the focal point.
    etc. etc. etc.

Those are FAR more effective because you can focus on the areas that people care the most about.

If you choose the latter, you're blowing tons of money on ineffective ads and are still thinking about campaigning/advertising as if it's the 90's.
    Back in the day you could get an ad that targeted a huge chunk of American households before the internet, and you can target demographics by what show you sponsor but hey since you can target in smaller bits that is overpowering? Fucking please.

AOC got elected because of a "powerful TV AD"

Have you ever been tempted to vote for a Republican because of their advertisements?

Back in the day you could get an ad that targeted a huge chunk of American households before the internet, and you can target demographics by what show you sponsor but hey since you can target in smaller bits that is overpowering? Fucking please.
    Actually...yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...line-democracy
    https://hbr.org/2016/04/targeted-ads...about-yourself
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1025103303.htm

Did you forget Cambridge Analytica or something?

AOC got elected because of a "powerful TV AD"
    I don't know if this is true, but microtargeting being more effective doesn't mean that traditional advertising can't be effective.

Have you ever been tempted to vote for a Republican because of their advertisements?
    That's not what microtargeting is. You still are doubling down on not knowing what the fuck it is when you talk about it.

Actually...yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...line-democracy
    https://hbr.org/2016/04/targeted-ads...about-yourself
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1025103303.htm

Did you forget Cambridge Analytica or something?

I don't know if this is true, but microtargeting being more effective doesn't mean that traditional advertising can't be effective.

That's not what microtargeting is. You still are doubling down on not knowing what the fuck it is when you talk about it.
    I give up you obviously don't understand my COUNTER to micro-targeting. You refuse to acknowledge it and post the same shit over and over again

I give up you obviously don't understand my COUNTER to micro-targeting. You refuse to acknowledge it and post the same shit over and over again
    What counter? That traditional advertising isn't as effective, but can still be effective, and is a different ballgame given the expanded use of technology?

If you're frustrated that I'm missing your "point", it's because you're doing a poor job in making it.

You sure read through all those links about the effectiveness of microtargeting quickly.

What counter? That traditional advertising isn't as effective, but can still be effective, and is a different ballgame given the expanded use of technology?

If you're frustrated that I'm missing your "point", it's because you're doing a poor job in making it.

You sure read through all those links about the effectiveness of microtargeting quickly.
    I think the problem is you think a limited scope, this is not an insult just what I observed, you never see the full picture. Posting links you googled without even making an effort to understand what you posted will not convince me.