Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Spoilers: The Old Gods.

So, uhm...apparently...

It's confirmed that we killed the Physical forms of C'thun and Yogg'Saron, despite their echo's still existing across Azeroth. However, that doesn't mean we won't see manifestations of them in the future (Y'shaarj had this case with the Sha).

Source: The Blizzard Interview for r/WoW.

Question: Can you confirm or deny whether the old gods are dead? We've got a lot of people who think that we've only fought manifestations, and their true forms lie dormant somewhere. Are we maybe going to see more of that?

Answering: Steve Danuser

Confirms that we've killed their forms, in the cases of Yogg'Saron and C'thun despite echoes of them still seeming to permeate the world.

"If you think about our cosmology and the way that creatures of magic work as opposed to mortals, mortals die they go to the Shadowlands. If you fought the Legion, you fought demons. If you kill them on Azeroth, where do they go? Back to the Twisting Nether, which is the place where they come from."

"So if you think about other magical creatures and think what happens when you kill them on Azeroth, where do they go? There's the potential for things like that to kind of happen. We try to have this cosmology of the way things work, and that's something that you can apply to other things. And I think the old gods are an interesting case where, you know, we've defeated one version of them and who knows if another manifestation will eventually take place."

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...e_danuser_and/

Basically, I also called it, and so does 8.3's datamining BS. N'zoth was the last Old God, and was the only freed one post-Titans.

I don't trust anything Blizzard says regarding their lore anymore.

"Chronicles is from the point of view of the Titans."

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Basically, I also called it, and so does 8.3's datamining BS. N'zoth was the last Old God, and was the only freed one post-Titans.
    Small correction, though, that he said we've killed their true forms (as the questions was whether we, quoting it, "only fought their manifestations and their true forms lie dormant somewhere"). The idea is the same, however, I just don't want others to play semantics on Blizzard words later. For years, many of us have been saying that the Old Gods we fought are dead, but like everything else in WoW, they can come back. Thus, it's great that Blizzard finally gave their clear confirmation (this, and another one few months ago) to end the "We didn't kill the Old Gods, just their manifestations / avatar / whatever. They didn't live, they didn't die, they are beyond life and death" argument.

(Not that it will stop people from keep claiming that they aren't dead...)
    Last edited by Qualia; 2019-11-06 at 05:35 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post

Yeah. I only bought volume 1 but I deeply regret it now. Imagine had I bought all of it I would be screaming at them in twitter, lol.

This is so disrespectfull of them.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Translating his pointless tirade, it means Blizz will pull OGs out of their ass again, if need be, and also when they will lose the final sheds of creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post

It kind of is though. Almost 90% of the Chronicle's cosmology focused on only the Titans, and rarely on everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
    Translating his pointless tirade, it means Blizz will pull OGs out of their ass again, if need be, and also when they will lose the final sheds of creativity.
    "Pointless triade"

?

7+ Year Old Account
    It kind of is though. Almost 90% of the Chronicle's cosmology focused on only the Titans, and rarely on everything else.
    No, it is not.

The content of the books are heavily focused around the titans, that is the case.
    However the books are all written from an omnipresent viewpoint.

If they really wanted the books to be "the point of the view of the titans" then they should've themed the book around it and written it in such a manner.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    No, it is not.

The content of the books are heavily focused around the titans, that is the case.
    However the books are all written from an omnipresent viewpoint.

If they really wanted the books to be "the point of the view of the titans" then they should've themed the book around it and written it in such a manner.
    I mean...

We never got to know about the Light much, we don't know who Elune is, we don't know the plain of which the Void Lords rule in, we know nothing of them.

they kinda pulled one of those "technically true advertisements" with chronicle, so i'm not surprised a lot of people feel cheated.

they said something along the lines of "the definitive book to fix all the past lore and a foundation for the future" which it technically was, at the point it released. but the first retcons started like 6 months after that orso.

anyways regarding the actual topic: not even surprised, whether we actually killed them, put them to sleep, delayed them, w/e it's changed a bunch of times now. but it doesn't mean anything since being dead itself hasn't mattered for years. they will just awaken/be ressed/weren't _really_ dead afterall/are outside life and death/etc whenever its convenient.
    Last edited by horbindr; 2019-11-06 at 06:13 PM.

I mean...

We never got to know about the Light much, we don't know who Elune is, we don't know the plain of which the Void Lords rule in, we know nothing of them.
    The Void Lords rule over the Void, opposite of the Light. Alleria, Umbric, Locus-Walker, and plenty of other characters travel through the Void (that's what those purple portals are that they use). We extensively heard about this in the Thousand Year War audio drama. The Void Lords are trying to take over the physical plane from the Void - they sent out Old Gods to corrupt World-Wouls, since Void Lords cannot manifest fully into the physical plane themselves. Dimensius the All-Devouring is a weak manifestation of a Void Lord, though extremely powerful in reality still (since he destroyed K'aresh).

There are extensions of the Void as well, like the Realm of Y'Shaarj, Ny'alotha, Dread Expanse, the Mind's Eye, and the Twilight Realm - all made by beings created by Void Lords and Old Gods. Telogrus Rift is a former world soaked in Void, but is still thinly separated from the Void, since the Void Elves have to banish tentacle monsters that manifest there.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

The Echos might be them struggling to get back to the real world or just leftover avatars. Can be many things but my take is if they wanna come back eventually than they will have to make a deal with one of the Covenant Leaders within the Shadowlands.

When Demons and certain Old God spawn dies, they go back to the Twisted Neither or the Void. But when they suffer a true death than they go to the Shadowlands and be judged by the Arbiter. At that point they'll mostly get send to the Maw.

As for the Chronicles, it's still a perfect piece for lore even from the Titan's perspective because Aman is the God of Time. So he has the means to travel through different timelines or even a time before he existed to document the events and places there.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Small correction, though, that he said we've killed their true forms (as the questions was whether we, quoting it, "only fought their manifestations and their true forms lie dormant somewhere"). The idea is the same, however, I just don't want others to play semantics on Blizzard words later. For years, many of us have been saying that the Old Gods we fought are dead, but like everything else in WoW, they can come back. Thus, it's great that Blizzard finally gave their clear confirmation (this, and another one few months ago) to end the "We didn't kill the Old Gods, just their manifestations / avatar / whatever. They didn't live, they didn't die, they are beyond life and death" argument.

(Not that it will stop people from keep claiming that they aren't dead...)
    Yeah. I don't see how this response is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWithTheWeatherReport View Post
    The Echos might be them struggling to get back to the real world or just leftover avatars. Can be many things but my take is if they wanna come back eventually than they will have to make a deal with one of the Covenant Leaders within the Shadowlands.

When Demons and certain Old God spawn dies, they go back to the Twisted Neither or the Void. But when they suffer a true death than they go to the Shadowlands and be judged by the Arbiter. At that point they'll mostly get send to the Maw.

As for the Chronicles, it's still a perfect piece for lore even from the Titan's perspective because Aman is the God of Time. So he has the means to travel through different timelines or even a time before he existed to document the events and places there.
    Bullshit. We dont know if demons or old gods+their minions go to the shadowlands after death. So far we've only seen mortals go there.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

We've known this for years. People just didn't want to accept it.

They can always come back, though. Their spirits were, almost certainly, banished to the Void. If some Eldritch prophet comes to Azeroth as their Herald, they'll be back.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by evertonbelmontt View Post
    Yeah. I only bought volume 1 but I deeply regret it now. Imagine had I bought all of it I would be screaming at them in twitter, lol.

This is so disrespectfull of them.
    Why is it disrespectful?

So, uhm...apparently...

It's confirmed that we killed the Physical forms of C'thun and Yogg'Saron, despite their echo's still existing across Azeroth. However, that doesn't mean we won't see manifestations of them in the future (Y'shaarj had this case with the Sha).

Source: The Blizzard Interview for r/WoW.

Question: Can you confirm or deny whether the old gods are dead? We've got a lot of people who think that we've only fought manifestations, and their true forms lie dormant somewhere. Are we maybe going to see more of that?

Answering: Steve Danuser

Confirms that we've killed their forms, in the cases of Yogg'Saron and C'thun despite echoes of them still seeming to permeate the world.

"If you think about our cosmology and the way that creatures of magic work as opposed to mortals, mortals die they go to the Shadowlands. If you fought the Legion, you fought demons. If you kill them on Azeroth, where do they go? Back to the Twisting Nether, which is the place where they come from."

"So if you think about other magical creatures and think what happens when you kill them on Azeroth, where do they go? There's the potential for things like that to kind of happen. We try to have this cosmology of the way things work, and that's something that you can apply to other things. And I think the old gods are an interesting case where, you know, we've defeated one version of them and who knows if another manifestation will eventually take place."

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...e_danuser_and/

They literally tell you "Well, if you kill a mortal they go to the Shadowlands. BUT if you kill a Demon it returns to the Twisting Nether WHERE THEY COME FROM (as they represent Fel). SO what happens if you kill an Old God? It returns to the Void" and basically confirm that the Old Gods are NOT done with. Why do people misinterpret that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    They literally tell you "Well, if you kill a mortal they go to the Shadowlands. BUT if you kill a Demon it returns to the Twisting Nether WHERE THEY COME FROM (as they represent Fel). SO what happens if you kill an Old God? It returns to the Void" and basically confirm that the Old Gods are NOT done with. Why do people misinterpret that?
    People aren't misinterpreting it. Not being done with isn't the same as being alive / not being dead. That's the point. I'm pretty sure most people agree that they can come back if plot demands it, what people were discussing / arguing about were whether those Old Gods were killed / dead or not.

For years, many people keep claiming that the Old Gods we fought (namely C'Thun and Yogg) were alive; That they weren't dead; Or we only killed their manifestation / avatar instead of their true selves. All that came from the the similarity between the Old Gods and Lovecraftian beings, or what an Old God follower said, and how Nyarlothoth *once* posted something in the line of "Perhaps you have to erase them from existence to destroy them" (which was the closest for it to be canon, except he also said to "pay no heed" to his post). They pretty much ignored a bunch of indications or explicit statements - both in and out of the game - that the Old Gods were dead. When you have to keep explaining it (more like copy pasting one post with a collection of quotes from game / book!) over and over every two or three months, it starts become both funny and ridiculous. That's why I was glad Blizzard decided to clear this matter in no vague term recently.

Can the Old Gods come back? Sure, they can - and so can most enemies we've defeated. I don't think anyone disagreed with it. That doesn't mean they aren't dead - dead isn't the same as gone in WoW. It's extremely rare in WoW that a character is killed to the point that it's impossible for them to be back since we seldomly obliterate someone so badly that even their souls cease to exist.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2019-11-06 at 08:29 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

I've been arguing for years that the Old Gods are dead. Blizz has confirmed this several times.

I'd like to think that this latest confirmation will stop the "Can't kill the Old Gods" posts, but let's face it. It won't.

So, we killed the physical forms despite those forms being maybe .1% the size that their bodies should be.

Sounds like more cringey “recontextualizing” but okay. Absolute state of this game’s lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    So, we killed the physical forms despite those forms being maybe .1% the size that their bodies should be.

Sounds like more cringey “recontextualizing” but okay. Absolute state of this game’s lore.
    Video games can't literally show how massive their size is, it would be incredibly absurd in a gameplay scenario. Hence why they are lowered down. They improved much since Yogg but expecting a 1:1 ratio of size in a MMO let alone a game is absurd.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi