Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Acting like an asshole just because you're anonymous is pretty lame tbh

You know what, good on you, OP. Now try to push forward this change you made for yourself in everyday life or areas where having to be nice isn't as "enforced" as it is in Classic, so you can grow as a person.

Reminds of me religious people who are only (trying to be) decent because they are afraid of going to Mordor hell. True Detective put it nicely - "If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother, that person is a piece of shit".
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Or you should just grow up.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    please enlighten us with your wisdom. i too want to graduate from being a boy into a manly man like you.
    Sure, the first step is not feeling attacked by a comment that, according to you, shouldn't concern you at all.

So because you're liable, you aren't an asshole? Seems like a character flaw rather than game design, my dude.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I wonder what that 'fact' was.
    TBH I don't even remember what the topic was, happened in first week of classic. But it turned into a bunch of people white knighting the game because my comment was not 100% blindly positive about classic, probably something along the lines of "dps rotations in classic have less depth than in retail".

Admitting you're an asshole on retail because there are no repercussions from the community is a weird flex.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, there are no differences (to me).

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I don't do anything different. Consequences aren't the only things holding me back from being a douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Sure, the first step is not feeling attacked by a comment that, according to you, shouldn't concern you at all.
    why should i feel attacked? i was just mocking your attitude.

i mean, come on ....

So they cried to Blizzard and Blizzard being the enabler that they are, instead of given these people the opportunity to grow and make men out of boys
    how can you NOT mock a sentence like this?

You can do what the fuck you want,I grouped with some guys and I don't remember them, they don't remember me
    Stop acting like you are a special snowflake, you are a nobody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geognosis View Post
    Hey all, i have been banned on retail more times than i can count. For all the usual things, language, griefing, inappropriate offense humor....basically troll douchbag things. However now there is a community of people that you see over and over again. So your reputation actually means something. You cannot be that internet anonymous person anymore and do whatever and get away with it. Goodbye to ninja-looting, no more ninja logging, no more ninja anything. No more being mean to someone or trade chat cause the Bears didn't cover the spread. Having a community make me a better person and less of an ass-hat. My question for discussion: Are there things that you do differently because lack of cross server everything? Does that community oneness feel better?
    Sorry but "its retails fault I act like a douchebag" is the most grade-A bullshit excuse I've seen here in a long time.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Hey all, i have been banned on retail more times than i can count. For all the usual things, language, griefing, inappropriate offense humor....basically troll douchbag things. However now there is a community of people that you see over and over again. So your reputation actually means something. You cannot be that internet anonymous person anymore and do whatever and get away with it. Goodbye to ninja-looting, no more ninja logging, no more ninja anything. No more being mean to someone or trade chat cause the Bears didn't cover the spread. Having a community make me a better person and less of an ass-hat. My question for discussion: Are there things that you do differently because lack of cross server everything? Does that community oneness feel better?
    WRONG

I haven't ninjaed yet, probably wont but we will see. Reputation means nothing. I have been trolling and arguing and being a dick since release. People know my name, people argue against me even when I switch sides on arguments on a daily basis (e.g. Millennials are so lazy one day to why is it so difficult to live as a Millennials). I /spit on people, I have ninja logged and I have done all of this in /4 and /2 and /1.

I still have no problems finding groups for dungeons. I am proof that reputation means nothing and I don't even play a class that can tank or heal or mage. I can act as I want and there are no repercussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I can't say I've had this problem. I didn't have trouble being civil to people in WoW, and I didn't need a community of people keeping me in check just so I could behave. I don't think I ever got banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    I would say this is a subjective viewpoint that is not actually indicative of all human nature(s).

While I'll agree that everyone has the potential to be a prick, It is not necessarily a person's "natural" inclination to be one. Plenty of people are born with more empathetic and cooperative personalities vs disagreeable and aggressive. One group has to be pushed into "being a dick" while the other group has to be pushed into not "being a dick."

Personally I find human nature to be inherently more complex than "deep down, everyone is really x" statements.
    Agreed. Some people are nice regardless of whether they have anonymity or not. Different people have different personalities and not everyone is out to watch the world burn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    WRONG

I haven't ninjaed yet, probably wont but we will see. Reputation means nothing. I have been trolling and arguing and being a dick since release. People know my name, people argue against me even when I switch sides on arguments on a daily basis (e.g. Millennials are so lazy one day to why is it so difficult to live as a Millennials). I /spit on people, I have ninja logged and I have done all of this in /4 and /2 and /1.

I still have no problems finding groups for dungeons. I am proof that reputation means nothing and I don't even play a class that can tank or heal or mage. I can act as I want and there are no repercussions.
    In previous times people would have just advertised you were a ninja and you would have been blacklisted. Unless it's just not on Classic, I'm not sure how you could manage to get around it. People dealing with ninjas themselves by blacklisting them tends to be more effective than moderators stepping in to ban people.

Edit: Haha didn't realize you were the person from my thread before.
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2019-11-06 at 06:07 PM.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

7+ Year Old Account
    Here's a simple rule for internet behavior:

Treat a person you meet online in the same way you'd treat him/her if you met him/her face to face in real life.

Easy peasy

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    why should i feel attacked? i was just mocking your attitude.

i mean, come on ....

how can you NOT mock a sentence like this?
    It's actually a serious issue in the gaming industry right now. People are asking for safe spaces, they want harder moderation in every possible chat, surveillance in every online chats to protect them from """"""""""""""""""""""toxicity""""""""""""""""""""""". We had none of it back then and we grew up to be people with the ability to block out shit we don't want to deal with. We don't need no moderation to take us by the hand or to see people get punished because they made us feel insecure behind our monitor. Not to mention the ignore feature is not even enough for these people today, they need that social justice to smite down their foes.

Internet was an awesome place where you could go and say whatever you wanted, if people enjoy it then they can discuss with you and if they don't like it they can just move on. Now if you say something that people don't like, they have an army of stupid things to back up their weakness and they throw that shit on you, the only way to interact with people is by never stating negative facts, never telling the truth, always being nice with people even if they don't deserve it, telling them they're good at the game when they equip the wrong items and break CC. I mean jesus christ, what is this fucking shitshow gonna be in another 10 years? Am I gonna have SWAT teams kick down my door because I told an idiot that he's an idiot?

Fuck that shit.

What blizzard really ban people for these things? Can't believe it. Man I insult people everyday in general chat. Calling them bad words, telling people to go back to their country, calling people illegal immigrants, racial things, homophobic words and all the bad stuff. Everytime they say they will report me I make it even worse by calling their mom bad words. Never have I ever got any warning from blizzard lol.

I've encountered far more toxic people in classic than retail.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair I did notice a difference.
    Yesterday we had a tank quitting mid-UBRS because he lost a roll. In retail I wouldn't bat an eye, but there it was a HUGE inconvenience for anyone else. I immediately put the guy on ignore because I don't want to group up with people like that and I briefly considered warning others about him to save everyone else's time.

So I think Classic had some merit in that.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bildur View Post
    Here's a simple rule for internet behavior:

Treat a person you meet online in the same way you'd treat him/her if you met him/her face to face in real life.

Easy peasy
    That literally gets me suspended in game and nothing happens IRL. I don't get punished for stating facts that "offend" people in real life, that's only in game. That notion that people are nicer IRL is a lie, and the notion that people don't use internet anonymity to do things they wouldn't dare doing IRL (like crying to the authorities because they got offended by something they clearly know is not really offensive) is also a giant lie.

A bunch of people online act like victims every chance they get just to spite people who "offend" them because they know nothing can happen to them, it's literally a chance to be an ass for free. Act like this IRL where I live and you'll get laughed at, ridiculed or even punched, and I live in a fairly leftist place that has lower murder rate than Disneyland.