Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Why should I vote for more school taxes when I dont go to school anymore?

Every single year my corrupt ass city wants more money in taxes. We just voted for increased taxes last year but this year they want even more! Now they want to renovate the high schools. We are already building 3 new schools within the next 10 years. I voted "no" but everyone ripped me to shreads. Why should I care? I dont have kids and im not in K-12 school.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Fuck you, got mine"?

Sounds about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Why should I care?
    From a purely selfish standpoint, since that seems to be all you care about... Its better for you to not have the area you live in filled with uneducated failures at life... Shitty underfunded schools correlate to shitty life prospects for the students in such districts, shitty life prospects correlate to crime.

If saving like $200 a year on your property taxes is worth having the area you live in devolve into a crime infested shithole, then by all means, vote against funding the schools.

Alabama. Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Alabama. Of course.
    Genuinely can't tell if this means, "So we don't get places like alabama" or "Of course the OP is from alabama."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Schools require upkeep, and inflation is always going to increase those costs. As a local population grows, more schools also need to be build unless you want like 50 kids per class. Kids in school mean less trouble (typically).

So basically, its a longer term benefit to yourself from a crime perspective to not fuck over current kids

Every single year my corrupt ass city wants more money in taxes. We just voted for increased taxes last year but this year they want even more! Now they want to renovate the high schools. We are already building 3 new schools within the next 10 years. I voted "no" but everyone ripped me to shreads. Why should I care? I dont have kids and im not in K-12 school.
    because the taxes you paid every year your kids were in school no way covered the ACTUAL cost per year for your kid to go to that school.
    instead they charge you less per year over your lifetime to make it easier to pay the cost off.

if you want to go to a "pay as you go" system, get ready to pay 10-15-20-30k a year depending on your state and local district/town/city.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The world's children are our legacy. We should be making sure they are getting the proper opportunities they deserve.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Slave_Lake

Go live your libertarian dystopian life, you're welcome.

Do you want to live in a functioning society?

Do you want crime rates to stay low/drop further?

Do you want the lights to stay on? The water to remain drinkable?

Do you want hospitals to be staffed? Would you want treatment to be available if you get cancer?

Do you want good books, comic books, tv shows, music, comedy, entertainment to be produced?

Do you want the roads, bridges, rail, airports, waterways, ports to continue being usable?

Do you want your store shelves stacked with a wide range of safe products?

Do you want the US military to be able to defend the country and keep the peace?

If the answer is yes to absolutely any of those, THEN STOP BITCHING AND FUND THE FUCKING SCHOOLS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Slave_Lake

Go live your libertarian dystopian life, you're welcome.
    That's how these always go.

"Why do I have to pay for society?"
    "Why don't you leave society and go make your own way alone in the woods?"
    "I don't wanna give up all the benefits of society!"
    "Ahh, so you just don't wanna pay for the benefits you admit you enjoy and desire."
    "Exactly! How is this hard to understand?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Genuinely can't tell if this means, "So we don't get places like alabama" or "Of course the OP is from alabama."
    The latter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's keep it simple and selfish. Unless you plan on dying in the next 20 years, which would you rather have in charge while you get old? You know, the generation deciding how to handle the aging generation who came before them (you)?
    Educated people or blithering idiots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

-Its an investment for yourself in the longrun.

-Its an investment in your area, which positively affects you.

-Its morally correct, since those before you invested in you similarly.

-Unless you are massively rich, you're being subsidized by others (not through education, but through roads, emergency services etc)

You realize you're going to have to live in the same society as these people, and your life might depend on their ability to make good decisions, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    "Fuck you, got mine"?

Sounds about right.
    One of the mottos Republicans live by alongside "Laws, ethics, and morals are for Democrats." and "Party over country."

7+ Year Old Account
    I say get rid of mandatory public school and let kids pursue their own academic interests. Kids will enjoy learning when it's not forced on them in a structured way.

Because better educated kids are a net benefit to society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    You shouldn’t. You should vote republican instead.
    Typical conservative logic

"Protect unborn children....but fuck 'em after that"

10+ Year Old Account
    Im with you. They could actually get by with half the money they steal from us if they wouldnt waste so much on professional level football fields, with lights, indoor swimming pools, and gymnasiums nice enough for a college level athletic program. We should cut all funding for high school sports and if kids want to play sports, make their parents pay for it, and not me. The Constitution guarantees that we provide an education, it doesnt say a thing about requiring that we provide them with athletics and sports
    Last edited by Orlong; 2019-11-07 at 12:06 AM.

Its backtaxes for the education you enjoyed.