Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    It's not like dye channels weren't a thing in 2013.
    I know.
    But I'm not going for the excuse that the age of the game matters in any way whatsoever in that regard.
    Might as well excuse anything and everything WoW does, or does not, then.

"But the FFXIV UI is shit because it's also made for consoles" - duh, no one's saying that to downplay the advantage the WoW interface has over FFXIV there either, even though it's also true, because WoW made for consoles in mind wouldn't look like it does currently.

The fact remains, the FFXIV interface sucks.
    The fact remains, WoW has horrible armor design where it's difficult to actually see what kind of material the item is made out off and you can't even dye a shite.

Two questions:
    1) Can you search for item this way if you don't have it in your inventory or you have to use obscure shit like /isearch?
    2) This doesn't tell if you have the same model with different name, right?
    You can search for the item whenever you see it somewhere (chat, drop, whatever) by rightclicking it and press "search for item"
    Afaik there aren't many items (with the exception of the high end crafts and the ornate versions of the same craft) with the same model in FFXIV, if they are the same, they use a different color AND are dyeable - could be wrong though.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-10-15 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Which would be totally fine imho.
    No need to retrofit all the stuff that is already out. They didn't do that with the 3D-art on armor either.
    They should just concentrate on new armor.

I don't agree with WoW armor being more difficult to create btw.
    Armor pieces that can't be put on certain races are hidden by default and even heritage armor doesn't look like it was specifically designed with the race porpotions in mind so much that you couldn't simply refit them for the other races in mere hours, you can preview the Sin'dorei stuff with a modelviewer for tauren and it looks like any other set for them, just rezise the helmet like everything else and done. (works for all the other helmets too after all)
    That depends on how detailed the heritage armor is. The blood elf set is by a newer artist and she likely wasn't as comfortable with the 3D assets so the blood elf set doesn't have as many compared to other armors. The dwarf armor on the other hand is by a senior artist and it only works on dwarfs. Same for the tauren which is, once again, by a senior artist. For other races the armor may work but the 3d armor asset was not modified for anyone else so it floats off the models such as the highmountain set. Overall most of the heritage armors really are only designed to work on the race they are made for. In the end though even if it does work on another race it doesn't mean the armor was 'easy' to make and those 3D assets do still need modified for 30 race models unlike FF14 which is at 14 plus 2 of those 14 still not being able to show all helmets.

Admittedly I'm a sucker for having beast races in an MMO which draws me to WoW and GW2's races. I was hoping the hrothgar may scratch that itch but unfortunately the terrible customization that can't be altered outside paying for a fantasia, how bad armor looks on them due to using a modified Roe skeleton, and the most helmets not working on them makes me not want to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

- - - Updated - - -

This stands out more with cloaks since a LOT of armor seems like it was designed with those tails in mind. Jackets split in the back or armor has something designed where it just looks decorative on non-tailed races and looks like it was made with the tail in mind on the tailed races. So yeah, cloaks certainly stand out in that regard.
    I'd say my biggest complaint on that is referring to things like the Ivalice set based on the Tactics knight with the long cloak and the paladin armor from I want to say HW with the cloak as well (and other similar items). Now I did like how the ShB DRG relic set has the tail like part armor the Au Ra tail rather than just clip it and would love to see more things like that.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2019-10-15 at 05:42 PM.

It's not like dye channels weren't a thing in 2013.

Two questions:
    1) Can you search for item this way if you don't have it in your inventory or you have to use obscure shit like /isearch?
    2) This doesn't tell if you have the same model with different name, right?
    1) You can right click the item - on the marketboard/on someone else/in the roll loot window - and select search. If you have the item, it will tell you where it is: inventory, glamor dresser, armory, on a retainer, saddlebags, etc.
    2) It does not tell you if you have the same model with different name. I've noticed in some cases the same model with different name still has differences, such as how one dyes and the other dyes a little differently. Or the aetherial items in dungeons in ARR being better stats, but not dyeable. Things like that.

I'm not saying it's better than "get it once, never worry again" with transmog. Just that you can at least confirm if you have that specific item without having to just remember.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2019-10-15 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    The nice thing about glamour is you can apply plates or glams ot individual items on the fly, in WoW you have to go to a vendor or have someone with a super expensive mount around.
    I think the tmog mount is pretty cheap. I have gold in excess that I can't even spend it faster than I accumulate it, and that's as a raid logger who mogs way more than someone ever should. I also have to buy consumables because im way too lazy to farm them.

Pretty sure you can't use plates anywhere in an instance. Pretty sure you can't update plates anywhere except an Inn.

On the other hand, FFXIV also has dyable gear. Granted not every piece is dyable. But a lot of it is and I like this more than WoW perhaps giving you 3 or 4 colors to get from a model.
    Mind you I very heavily prefer everything about FF14's gear design over WoWs (barring a handful of sets). Dying is a huge boon for FF14 over WoW, but if I'm being honest the dye system is absolute fucking garbage. Not only is it inconsistent on different types of materials, but it's single channel and often in the worst possible way. If they could create consistent dye effects, and add 2 more channels (say main, secondary, and "accessory") it would easily be one of the best systems I've ever personally seen.

Only downside to the collection in WoW was me having to scroll through half a dozen pages of junk to find the one thing I was trying to find. There are a lot of things in WoW I reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy don't need to ever see again after I throw it away.
    Definitely true, but it is sorted by expansion which is super helpful. I wonder if there'd be value in creating a filter to mark things as junk (i.e. I know I'll NEVER mog this). I'm not sure the value is there, but it's a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    They removed tier sets in favor of bland WOTLK looking gear.
    Speaking personally - I don't like the change. THAT SAID, The logic they used WAS sound. They just failed miserably about implementing it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Speaking personally - I don't like the change. THAT SAID, The logic they used WAS sound. They just failed miserably about implementing it IMO.
    I think besides the logic they gave the tier sets also just went to the wayside due to the Azerite system which itself wasn't nearly a good enough replacement for spec based set bonuses (not necessarily in power but also in flavor). Hopefully that means we'll see a return to the tier sets with the next expac.

As far as I remember FFXIV still has only one dye channel? That makes it pretty subpar tbh.
    EQ has armor dye too. As did UO. *don't know if UO still runs or not*

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure other games have better dye systems. I think DCUO has three?

But I was comparing WoW to FFXIV, and WoW has zero dye channels.

Similarly, FFXIV's character creator is lacking compared to many other games, but is superior to WoW's IMO. (WoW has a better race selection, granted, but for the races it does have I like FFXIV's CC more.)
    I do find the race customization far better than that of WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Right click > search for item. You don't have to remember anything!

- - - Updated - - -

Fairly simple fix, too. Just make your collection able to have favorites so when you identify it as a favorite it stays at the top of the list. They may already have it in and I'm not aware of it.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that is one thing I miss from WoW's addons and later added in the Adventuring Guide. Being able to see what drops from different dungeons was a nice convenience. In contrast, however, I miss the days of seeing a cool piece of armor or weapon and actually, y'know.... asking the player where they got it. Communication...being social...in an MMO. I realize I'm a relic from the past when MMOs were MMORPGs, though.

- - - Updated - - -

This stands out more with cloaks since a LOT of armor seems like it was designed with those tails in mind. Jackets split in the back or armor has something designed where it just looks decorative on non-tailed races and looks like it was made with the tail in mind on the tailed races. So yeah, cloaks certainly stand out in that regard.
    I'd say of all the differences between the two games, the ONLY thing i DO miss is global chat. I miss talking to players in the zone, questing or just hanging out. Even in the city with trade chat etc. FF doesn't have that. Raids and dungeons, players rarely speak. *Maybe it's due to me being on a JPN DC* Everything else is definite improvement to me over WoW. Do players on American/UK servers talk in city or zone?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    EQ has armor dye too. As did UO. *don't know if UO still runs or not*

- - - Updated - - -

I do find the race customization far better than that of WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say of all the differences between the two games, the ONLY thing i DO miss is global chat. I miss talking to players in the zone, questing or just hanging out. Even in the city with trade chat etc. FF doesn't have that. Raids and dungeons, players rarely speak. *Maybe it's due to me being on a JPN DC* Everything else is definite improvement to me over WoW. Do players on American/UK servers talk in city or zone?
    Yeah. While there are better CCs than FFXIV, and WoW to be fair has more diversity (and quanityt) of races by a good margin...what you can actually do with those races I like FFXIV more. Height slider, more skin tones, faces aren't just all presets and you can change individual parts. It's a shame the Hrothgar hairstyles are tied to their faces that's kind of dumb though.

I think most of the chat is in Linkshells and Guild chat, really. There's sometimes chatter in shout in the congregation hubs - Mor Dhona during Realm Reborn, Idyllshire in Heavensward, Kugane & Rhalgr's Reach in Stormblood, possibly a couple cities in Shadowbringers. I have shout turned off because I get tired of it. I was never in global chat in WoW either, though.

In dungeons and raids I find people are typically quiet until someone breaks the ice. I'll often throw a question out instead of just hello and find one or two who are willing to cut up and joke or chat during the run a bit.

I think most of the chat is in Linkshells and Guild chat, really. There's sometimes chatter in shout in the congregation hubs - Mor Dhona during Realm Reborn, Idyllshire in Heavensward, Kugane & Rhalgr's Reach in Stormblood, possibly a couple cities in Shadowbringers. I have shout turned off because I get tired of it. I was never in global chat in WoW either, though.

In dungeons and raids I find people are typically quiet until someone breaks the ice. I'll often throw a question out instead of just hello and find one or two who are willing to cut up and joke or chat during the run a bit.
    I found that players are less toxic in FF groups than WoW. Usually if you ask a question, you get a better answer. hehe

I found that players are less toxic in FF groups than WoW. Usually if you ask a question, you get a better answer. hehe
    I have that impression aswell. No doubt theres some terribly elitist people around, but at this time whenever i join something, be it alliance raid, nrmal raid, MSQ or dungeon people alwaysat least say hi.

I don't think anyone does that these days in wow. People just get on with it.

There is one thing that incentivates good behaviour in FF though. Thereare player recomendations at the end of instances and if you get X commendations you get good stuff like a mount for example.
    The second thing is that GM moderation is apparantly quite swift. If someone is harassing they can be reported and action taken against them. That stuff is taken very seriously there.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-10-17 at 04:18 AM.

Yeah. While there are better CCs than FFXIV, and WoW to be fair has more diversity (and quanityt) of races by a good margin...what you can actually do with those races I like FFXIV more. Height slider, more skin tones, faces aren't just all presets and you can change individual parts. It's a shame the Hrothgar hairstyles are tied to their faces that's kind of dumb though.
    It takes much more time to customize your char in FF than it does in WoW. So many options. Can you re-customize using the hair cutting dapper guy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I have that impression aswell. No doubt theres some terribly elitist people around, but at this time whenever i join something, be it alliance raid, nrmal raid, MSQ or dungeon people alwaysat least say hi.

I don't think anyone does that these days in wow. People just get on with it.

There is one thing that incentivates good behaviour in FF though. Thereare player recomendations at the end of instances and if you get X commendations you get good stuff like a mount for example.
    The second thing is that GM moderation is apparantly quite swift. If someone is harassing they can be reported and action taken against them. That stuff is taken very seriously there.
    I have noticed that. *I play on a JPN dc, so wasn't sure if it was just them being polite* Many of the group members say hi at the start, keep quiet and usually say something after a death or two/wipe. lol Groups go much smoother than in WoW. It's nice indeed.
    WoW groups and raids are all about chatter/toxicity in raids. I do like chatting in groups, its when ppl start name calling/bashing, that makes me think wtf is wrong with ppl sometimes. I do like the player commendation system, just takes A LOT to get the good stuff. lol
    GM moderation is swift indeed. I got reported for something but the GM couldnt name what for, i was playing and suddenly found myself in the gm prison *if you haven't been there..its a bricked jail cell with a glowing purple figure taking you out of the game and giving you warning*

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you that do SB raids. Do players leave after a wipe or two, or do they stick to it until the end?

It takes much more time to customize your char in FF than it does in WoW. So many options. Can you re-customize using the hair cutting dapper guy?

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that. *I play on a JPN dc, so wasn't sure if it was just them being polite* Many of the group members say hi at the start, keep quiet and usually say something after a death or two/wipe. lol Groups go much smoother than in WoW. It's nice indeed.
    WoW groups and raids are all about chatter/toxicity in raids. I do like chatting in groups, its when ppl start name calling/bashing, that makes me think wtf is wrong with ppl sometimes. I do like the player commendation system, just takes A LOT to get the good stuff. lol
    GM moderation is swift indeed. I got reported for something but the GM couldnt name what for, i was playing and suddenly found myself in the gm prison *if you haven't been there..its a bricked jail cell with a glowing purple figure taking you out of the game and giving you warning*

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you that do SB raids. Do players leave after a wipe or two, or do they stick to it until the end?
    Hmmm before the moogle event i was in an alliance that wiped on the first boss of world of darkness. I don't quite recall if it was after the first or second wipe people started leaving and the group fell apart. It was the only time it happened. There were other wipes in normal raid and alliance raid and people didn't leave. Normally not more than one. I've been fortunate.
    When doing datascape encounters for the first time i did look up a guide before going in, wich helped.
    The ivalice alliance raids are more challenging than the others, but it's been fine.

Finally in SB i only done Titania and hmm... the first group i was in did fall apart after one or two wipes. At SB is where you can see the entitled types. Titania was way more challenging than any other trial before, with a tight enrage timer on the root adds.
    What was common about both the times i had a group fall apart is that people prefered to leave rather than tell new people what they should be doing.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The 'aesthician' or whatever he's called is kind of like the original barbor shop when WoW first added it. You can change your hair style, hair color, some features, but you can't change anything like your race, gender, skin color etc. You have to buy a fantasia (10 dollars) to fully recustomize.

The 'aesthician' or whatever he's called is kind of like the original barbor shop when WoW first added it. You can change your hair style, hair color, some features, but you can't change anything like your race, gender, skin color etc. You have to buy a fantasia (10 dollars) to fully recustomize.
    Ahhh OK. I was wondering about that, thanks!

Ahhh OK. I was wondering about that, thanks!
    I think you get one free fantasia at some point in the MSQ. Maybe after you finish ARR. Mine is still in my bags.

Garlean transmog?

I am trying to find out how to get more Garlean armor for glamour. Is there a site to find out all the various glamour sets there for them?

15+ Year Old Account
    Garlean transmog?

I am trying to find out how to get more Garlean armor for glamour. Is there a site to find out all the various glamour sets there for them?
    There's a couple of glamour websites. FFXIV Armoury Collection, XIV Style to see the armour sets in game. Eorzea Collection, Mirapri (its a JP website, but fairly easy to use IMO) and /r/FFXIVGlamours for player submitted glamours.

That said, you can get 2 "sets" of garlean glamour from the game. One at 45~, a helm/chest that are similar to what conscripts in eorzea wear. Second one is during the stormblood msq, where you get the set that is what they wear in the far east. You'll have to check out one of the sites i mentioned for more variety in garlean glamour ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    There's a couple of glamour websites. FFXIV Armoury Collection, XIV Style to see the armour sets in game. Eorzea Collection, Mirapri (its a JP website, but fairly easy to use IMO) and /r/FFXIVGlamours for player submitted glamours.

That said, you can get 2 "sets" of garlean glamour from the game. One at 45~, a helm/chest that are similar to what conscripts in eorzea wear. Second one is during the stormblood msq, where you get the set that is what they wear in the far east. You'll have to check out one of the sites i mentioned for more variety in garlean glamour ideas.
    ah ok. I kept both of them. I love how they can be used by all classes, just the lvl restrction.

I gotta admit..the gear models in FF look MUCH better than the stuff in WoW. The wow gear model design team is just plain lazy..but i'm seriously diggin the gear models in FF. Granted it's a 400 item limit, but that's still a lot of transmog/glamour gear!
    I prefer Eastern developer gear design compared to western for sure. My WoW profile is in my sig but I am basically wearing the set from WoD that has an Arthas look to it. What bothers me about WoW and always has is the HYPER realistic look to the gear in their trailers or even on NPC's but cartoonish look for actual players.

I think it is just flat out a limitation of an old game Engine from 2003 that hit its limit about 9 years ago. ALSO it is not just Glamour that I like but the gear dying for FF14 is far more in depth. WoW makes it easier to do which is why I call them the Apple of MMO devs.

If you listen to a recent a dev interview they did about even limited dying they basically wrote off the idea and it either sounded to difficult to do or they simply thought they knew better. It came off as a form of hubris that "how dare the players want to change our gear colors!". I think the WoW art team has a stick up their ass personally and assumes they are perfect when I know NOOONE who wears the current tier set gear for BFA.

It is just a different taste.

Take WoW's transmog system, add GW2's dye system and XIV's art style and I'd probably never leave my glam dresser