Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Every single year my corrupt ass city wants more money in taxes. We just voted for increased taxes last year but this year they want even more! Now they want to renovate the high schools. We are already building 3 new schools within the next 10 years. I voted "no" but everyone ripped me to shreads. Why should I care? I dont have kids and im not in K-12 school.
    Oh come on. Your sorry ass isn't even paying anything noteworthy to taxes of the school. You are meant to assist with taxes to have the system running so OTHERS can have a future too. Why should you be permitted an education paid slightly by others?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Schools require upkeep, and inflation is always going to increase those costs. As a local population grows, more schools also need to be build unless you want like 50 kids per class. Kids in school mean less trouble (typically).

So basically, its a longer term benefit to yourself from a crime perspective to not fuck over current kids
    With housing way outstripping inflation, and the primary source of income for schools is property taxes, that argument doesn't hold up. Maybe education is just more costly now because of technology? Hell I don't know, but I don't think its inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyjack View Post
    Public education really let me down in life and it is fair to say costed me an additional year of my life from needing a work up course for university.

I find it hard to support public education with how dreadfully lacking the curriculum is. If it wasn't for the cost of private education or the unreliable nature of homeschooling I would push to abolish public education.

As it stands I find it exceedingly difficult to justify increasing funding for it. It needs a reformation not a larger budget. It has to accept that programs shouldn't be dumbed down to ensure everyone can pass but rather teach to the standard lucrative vocations demand.
    That's kind of what happens when conservatism takes the reins, and based on your posting history and your support of Republicans it's not that hard to see their disinformation and antieducation campaigns are clearly working on those like you.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's in your own community's long term interest if kids where you live have the opportunity to get a solid education.

This "fuck you, I got mine!" mindset against properly funding education is incredibly short-sighted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    also anyone else noticed the op hasn't returned? i wonder what kind of thread this might be?
    Well, it's succeeding at exposing the self-serving individuals who apparently hate public education.

Though I think we probably could have guessed who they were...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Im with you. They could actually get by with half the money they steal from us if they wouldnt waste so much on professional level football fields, with lights, indoor swimming pools, and gymnasiums nice enough for a college level athletic program. We should cut all funding for high school sports and if kids want to play sports, make their parents pay for it, and not me. The Constitution guarantees that we provide an education, it doesnt say a thing about requiring that we provide them with athletics and sports
    Riiight, sedentary children is a good thing too .

No matter what you end up paying for others poor health choices. Even if you just pay direct, the cost has to factor in how much the system is utilized. Having healthier children is also better for you in the long run.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well, it's succeeding at exposing the self-serving individuals who apparently hate public education.

Though I think we probably could have guessed who they were...
    I mean it could be bait or it could be shame at how stupid they look.

7+ Year Old Account
    Firm believer in the notion that a better educated society is a healthier society. I'm 51, eyeing 52, and I still vote in favor of taxes for education every single time the option(s) is on the ballot.

Every single year my corrupt ass city wants more money in taxes. We just voted for increased taxes last year but this year they want even more! Now they want to renovate the high schools. We are already building 3 new schools within the next 10 years. I voted "no" but everyone ripped me to shreads. Why should I care? I dont have kids and im not in K-12 school.
    Some school districts need to be reformed, you have needless administration cost that robs teachers and school supplies and they want to raise your taxes to pay for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    From a purely selfish standpoint, since that seems to be all you care about... Its better for you to not have the area you live in filled with uneducated failures at life... Shitty underfunded schools correlate to shitty life prospects for the students in such districts, shitty life prospects correlate to crime.

If saving like $200 a year on your property taxes is worth having the area you live in devolve into a crime infested shithole, then by all means, vote against funding the schools.
    That depends on the district you live in. My previous residence had excellent schools but they were also very wasteful with their money, and were always asking for more. They would ask for a large tax levy and promise that they wouldn't need another increase for six years but two years later they had their hands out again. Yeah it is important to get funding for the schools so the kids have a better chance, but when the principle of the local high school makes more per year than the governor of the state something is wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Public education really let me down in life and it is fair to say costed me an additional year of my life from needing a work up course for university.

I find it hard to support public education with how dreadfully lacking the curriculum is. If it wasn't for the cost of private education or the unreliable nature of homeschooling I would push to abolish public education.

As it stands I find it exceedingly difficult to justify increasing funding for it. It needs a reformation not a larger budget. It has to accept that programs shouldn't be dumbed down to ensure everyone can pass but rather teach to the standard lucrative vocations demand.
    It's pretty hilarious that you say there needs to be reformation, say like, I don't know a common core curriculum, something Republicans hate and fight against. Then you turn around and say there needs to be more vocational classes, another Republican thing.

Going to go with PosPosPos here, you are complaining about a problem that is of your own doing.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    The world's children are our legacy. We should be making sure they are getting the proper opportunities they deserve.
    No one deserves anything. Everything has to be earned.
    That being said, investing more in education is great idea. Not because someone deserves it. But because it will improve the world for everyone.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    From a purely selfish standpoint? The more smart people there are, the more likely we'll find solutions to things like cancer, climate change, and whatever other issues there are. Oh, and higher educated people are less likely to resort to crime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    No one deserves anything. Everything has to be earned.
    That being said, investing more in education is great idea. Not because someone deserves it. But because it will improve the world for everyone.
    But if no one deserves anything, they why do people deserve a better world?

10+ Year Old Account
    So your neighbors kids dont grow up thinking the world is flat surrounded by a wall of ice like in Game of Thrones?

That would be my first thing on the list.

Becasue, when you are old and need doctors there will not be any and people with that mentality will be the reason why.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    That's kind of what happens when conservatism takes the reins, and based on your posting history and your support of Republicans it's not that hard to see their disinformation and antieducation campaigns are clearly working on those like you.
    I honestly see it as an issue of neglect combined with a desire to see everyone succeed even those who can not. I don't see it as Republican or democrat issue. Both have made the situation worse but I doubt it was malicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    It's pretty hilarious that you say there needs to be reformation, say like, I don't know a common core curriculum, something Republicans hate and fight against. Then you turn around and say there needs to be more vocational classes, another Republican thing.

Going to go with PosPosPos here, you are complaining about a problem that is of your own doing.
    Every man woman and child should be against common core.. it's been proven to be disadvantageous at this point. You agree because you see everything as a political matter and anything that does not fall into that black and white divide moves past your ability to interupt properly.

Almost all education funding in the United States comes from State and Local taxes. Comparatively little federal. So by all means if you want to fuck over your immediate vincitny and your State's future, cut education spending. To hell with the children, amirite?

I'm from Massachusetts. We don't do that. Our children's future companies will need some low wage, low skill set laborers for the jobs robots can't do. To offset the cost of paying for a high school, high wage workforce. Little more than bipedal mules who can talk, really.

Your uneducated children should do quite nicely. So please. carry on. Cut education. What can possibly go wrong?

Properly funded schools produce smarter students ts who go on to college. Many may return back to the community and provide benefits to it. Better schools increase your property values and makes your community a destination for younger people with kids who will spend money and improve your local economy. Butt keep up got mine fuck you attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Properly funded schools produce smarter students ts who go on to college. Many may return back to the community and provide benefits to it. Better schools increase your property values and makes your community a destination for younger people with kids who will spend money and improve your local economy. Butt keep up got mine fuck you attitude.
    Citation needed...

While being funded enough to operate is a necessity I don't really want to attribute more money equals more success.

As for those saying public schools produce doctors.. in sure they do to some extent but I am going to mostly credit private schools for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

But if no one deserves anything, they why do people deserve a better world?
    We will work and invest smart (like invest in education) and EARN a better world by our actions and thinking.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Citation needed...

While being funded enough to operate is a necessity I don't really want to attribute more money equals more success.

As for those saying public schools produce doctors.. in sure they do to some extent but I am going to mostly credit private schools for that.
    You don't need a citation. Good schools produce smarter citizens. Good schools raise property values. Thought there were known things.