Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The real answer is because they cant. The original creators of this game has left the company. To rebuild from scratch would look entirely different than what wow looks like today.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    okay, great insight.

Thanks.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    If they're squishing the levels and making old zones useless, why not just make an entirely new 2.0 version of the game at this point? I get that Classic is there for nostalgia so there's no reason to leave old useless areas when we could have an all new game from top to bottom.
    What is wow 2.0 in yoir opinion?
    I never understand you people lol whats the freaking point? Throw away everything we build for past 14 years and just throw that away for better graphics?? Or what?

I secretly hope they are indeed doing something massive behind the scenes. My hope in the goodness of humankind just tells me theres gotta be a reason why shadowblands is so half assed. They gotta be occupied with ads something else. Fingers crossed eh?

Because if they dont, that means they made shitty expansion for no reason. On the bright side this would probably mean Ion will finally be out, but on the other hand it seems like a major stain on the company's track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    What is wow 2.0 in yoir opinion?
    I never understand you people lol whats the freaking point? Throw away everything we build for past 14 years and just throw that away for better graphics?? Or what?
    Maybe not a throwaway but a conclusion so our efforts seem worthwhile. Then we can feel complete with our story and begin a new one somewhere else knowing we aren't leaving anything behind.

If they're squishing the levels and making old zones useless, why not just make an entirely new 2.0 version of the game at this point? I get that Classic is there for nostalgia so there's no reason to leave old useless areas when we could have an all new game from top to bottom.
    Depends on what u mean by wow 2.0. Some ppl would consider cata wow 2.0 with the world revamp.

A whole new game would just split the player base. Retail is going too strong for them to split the player base with a 2.0 atm.

That shipped sailed a long time ago. Blizzard no longer has the talent or ability to Make a successful MMO any more. They are focusing on Mobile games in hopes of getting all that China money from them, but they are not thinking about How China wil eventually Ban video games because of the Social Credit system. They just now put very heavy restrictions on Online games for anyone under 18. No more then a hour a day during weekdays, only 90 minutes for the week end and spedning too much money affects social credit score. This is gonna bite all the game developers in the ass
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    We all know its coming. Nobody knows when. I'm guessing their waiting for the perfect next next Gen development kits or something. I has to come eventually though right. I mean how much farther can the original story go.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not a throwaway but a conclusion so our efforts seem worthwhile. Then we can feel complete with our story and begin a new one somewhere else knowing we aren't leaving anything behind.
    Still dont see the point, burning crusade was wow 2.0 imo tho. Every expansion offers new things I dont know or feel anything for a complete remake.

What they should have done is made a World of Starcraft MMO while Starcraft was so fucking massive. But blizzard was lazy and rested on their laurels too long .

- - - Updated - - -

Still dont see the point, burning crusade was wow 2.0 imo tho. Every expansion offers new things I dont know or feel anything for a complete remake.
    Expansions are continuations. They dont really change the core game that much. A WOW 2 would be a new Engine, updated graphics , concepts etc etc and give the ability to either copy over your existing Toons, or have a system where the new toons are descendants of yours

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW 2, not WoW 2.0, 2.0 was TBC, 2 and 2.0 don't mean the same thing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    What they should have done is made a World of Starcraft MMO while Starcraft was so fucking massive. But blizzard was lazy and rested on their laurels too long .

- - - Updated - - -

Expansions are continuations. They dont really change the core game that much. A WOW 2 would be a new Engine, updated graphics , concepts etc etc and give the ability to either copy over your existing Toons, or have a system where the new toons are descendants of yours
    But why would we want or need that???

With all the high res character assets being made for Warcraft 3 they probably could.

But why would we want or need that???
    Just because you dont doesnt mean others do not

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Because Blizz has not created something truly substantially since WoW, and they have no interest in expending that kind of effort any time soon (if ever).

HotS, HS, and OW all demonstrate that you can make new IPs for pretty cheap and be pretty profitable. SC2 and D3 demonstrate that you really only need to update the graphic engine and tweak a few things (which is pretty cheap) to be pretty profitable.

Squishing levels is much cheaper than they want to portray, and even the vast majority of what will be provided in Shadowlands is rehashed or they simply added procedural code to dungeon generation. Most of the effort is graphical, which is substantially cheaper than code updates that require a lot of additional testing and troubleshooting.

Like most corporations, they won't expend serious effort until they are more directly challenged or looking to lose too much. As it stands, they are still running at high profit margins as they are spending very little to maintain the game and the expansions (relative to revenues). Classic is a huge financial boon for them, and since Shadowlands is clearly another low effort expansion, they aren't feeling enough pressure to be putting out something better yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MoltenIceCream View Post
    Hey guys all the work you did last 15 years,we gonna throw it all away and we will restart it.
    All your work you did past 15 y is throwed away in moment of patch/ expansion release.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Because Blizz has not created something truly substantially since WoW, and they have no interest in expending that kind of effort any time soon (if ever).

HotS, HS, and OW all demonstrate that you can make new IPs for pretty cheap and be pretty profitable. SC2 and D3 demonstrate that you really only need to update the graphic engine and tweak a few things (which is pretty cheap) to be pretty profitable.

Squishing levels is much cheaper than they want to portray, and even the vast majority of what will be provided in Shadowlands is rehashed or they simply added procedural code to dungeon generation. Most of the effort is graphical, which is substantially cheaper than code updates that require a lot of additional testing and troubleshooting.

Like most corporations, they won't expend serious effort until they are more directly challenged or looking to lose too much. As it stands, they are still running at high profit margins as they are spending very little to maintain the game and the expansions (relative to revenues). Classic is a huge financial boon for them, and since Shadowlands is clearly another low effort expansion, they aren't feeling enough pressure to be putting out something better yet.
    The only thing that would allow Blizzard to be Creative again is if they parted ways with Activision, and the Chinese Video Game market collapses ( not as unlikely as many think) forcing them to go back to their roots. But they would also need to fire almost every Dev they have now because none of them have shown much in the way of creativity. Blizzard is the place where Dev careers go to die now

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    HotS, HS, and OW all demonstrate that you can make new IPs for pretty cheap and be pretty profitable..
    HotS and HS aren't new IPs though?

And Overwatch was cheap? They spent like 10 years failing at making an MMO only for it to eventually be turned into Overwatch.
    Last edited by Teekey; 2019-11-07 at 04:59 PM.

People severely underestimate how big of an undertaking this is.