Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Why make a “new” WOW when they can incrementally update the graphics, engine, systems etc expac to expac?

Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    Why make a “new” WOW when they can incrementally update the graphics, engine, systems etc expac to expac?
    It's not just graphics... this story is so thin that it's hardly recognizable anymore.

A space themed MMO or something completely different would be a nice change of pace.

World of StarCraft would make me the happiest Blizzard fan on earth Terran.

That said, I just don't see WoW dying off any time soon. As long as they can keep churning out expansions the way they have, its business models is easily one of the single most profitable in the industry and it has the unique benefit of having nearly zero competition.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-11-07 at 05:11 PM.

From a gameplay perspective or any practical perspective, this might not really be absolutely needed. However, IMO, from the marketing standpoint, this could remove a HUGE barrier to entry for new players. I think a "Part 2" of a game is a much more inviting jumping in point, than an expansion pack for some.

...Overwatch 2.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    People severely underestimate how big of an undertaking this is.
    It's both this and not really knowing what they want. They imagine pretty much the same game, except with better graphics, "restarted" lore and overall minor changes. At which point it makes no sense to release it, since it's basically two copies of the same game, competing with each other.

There is a reason the AAA industry has all but abandoned mmorpgs. Blizzard won't make one in a genre that is no longer likely to be profitable. The closest we will get from the big companies these days are looter based mmo-lite rpgs, such as Destiny, Diablo 4, Warframe, and so on.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

That was Cataclysm. They re-built the game from the ground up, essentially. The models are as good as they should get, this isn't a game where humans are supposed to look life-like, they look cartoony even in the cinematics. Like the human in the Mists of Pandaria cinematic? Not even a young Jay Leno's head on a 20 year-old Schwarzenegger's body would look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    It's not just graphics... this story is so thin that it's hardly recognizable anymore.

A space themed MMO or something completely different would be a nice change of pace.
    So do you mean a different game or WoW 2.0?

Why make a “new” Overwatch, Madden, Call of Duty, Mario, Tales of, Guild Wars, Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft ect when they can incrementally update the graphics, engine, systems etc expac to expac?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-11-07 at 05:15 PM.

Cata was WoW 2.0

So do you mean a different game or WoW 2.0?
    After thinking about it, a different game. I guess I should have thought this through before creating a thread.

why not ? easy answer. Look at the shitstorm with overwatch 2. Thats why

There are so many pitfalls with this that guaranteed gonna lose them players.

To not throw away all the work you done the last 15 years they need to transfer everything to the new game. But then what happens with all the shit you haven't been able to get yet in the old game ? They gonna shut it off and you will never obtain it ? Thats gonna make players leave.

Not transfering anything to make it fair ? thats gonna make players leave. And so on and so on.

So many things they simply won't be able to fix wihtout taking a heavy loss.

What they are doing is the best. Changing the game drastically. Shadowlands is as close as a 2.0 anyways with the streamlining of leveling, changing how you play expansions etc. Only thing left to do now is fix the fucking classes. give us back mop classes

No. It’s better to fix the existing produce than take away resources from it to make a reboot. Lots of us like our characters that we have now, we like the people we currently play with as well. Some people still main the same character that they have had since Vanilla. Forcing us to change all that will, in my opinion, lead to more discontent.

We like to live in our own personal bubbles about what only we want, there are quite a few people that would disagree with the need for a WoW 2.0.

Shadowlands sounds like a soft reboot of WoW which is what they should be doing

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Why make a “new” Overwatch, Madden, Call of Duty, Mario, Tales of, Guild Wars, Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft ect when they can incrementally update the graphics, engine, systems etc expac to expac?
    Which of those have expansions?

Which of those have expansions?
    All of them could, but they choose to release sequels instead, correct?

5+ Year Old Account
    I’m calling it now, MMOrpg games will not have huge following until VR game reaches the point of how it’s portrayed in movies and comics.

Then I can see a huge new interest in mmorpg games like it did years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    If they're squishing the levels and making old zones useless, why not just make an entirely new 2.0 version of the game at this point? I get that Classic is there for nostalgia so there's no reason to leave old useless areas when we could have an all new game from top to bottom.
    Probably because they would lose much of the player base.

Unless it's done as a Expansion, then it would be fine, but a new game, from the ground up?

I'm not so sure everyone would buy wow 2, but you can be moderately sure that the turn out for a new expansion would be bigger.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Wow 2 would work out just about as well as everquest 2. It breaks that 15 year connection people have making it super easy to just quit altogether. That is why everquest 2 flopped. Breaking the connection people have with their characters and collections is a sure fire way to kill the cash cow. Its why for even overwatch 2 its more like overwatch the pve expansion pack because they want people to feel connected and don't want to risk breaking that connection.

WoW is forever an incremental project. WoW 2 makes no financial sense and will never be greenlit by Activision.

If anything, we could hope for more radical engine updates: RTX, better textures and models resolution, VR engine and maybe VR gameplay...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    All of them could, but they choose to release sequels instead, correct?
    There is a difference that MMOs thrives on character investment, only GW and lineage truly made the jump successfully in the MMO market.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines