Thread: Materia making

Materia making

So..i recently found that in order to get materia, you break down spirit bound gear.
    So..would a fast way be to put gathering gear on my lancer, get to 100% then turn that into gathering materia?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Not sure of what is considered the quickest but running dutys seems to be pretty quick. In Grand Cosmos that is popular in the Expert queue right now I usually walk out with 1-3 VII level materia each run from people opening the chest and what not. There are potions I think that increase the rate at which gear becomes spirit bound. I am sure there is some strat built around that method.

Combat materia is easily aquired at max level with hunt points, or these items you get from the duty finder that you can trade for materia in a vendor. As mentioned it also drops from max level dungeons.
    Not sure about crafters materia though. I didn't get one to max level yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Combat materia is easily aquired at max level with hunt points, or these items you get from the duty finder that you can trade for materia in a vendor. As mentioned it also drops from max level dungeons.
    Not sure about crafters materia though. I didn't get one to max level yet.
    Basically converting 100% spiritbound crafter gear gets you stuff with Control or Perception on it. I am leveling Mining and Armorsmith at the same time and have played around with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Basically converting 100% spiritbound crafter gear gets you stuff with Control or Perception on it. I am leveling Mining and Armorsmith at the same time and have played around with this.
    Ok. I was confused at first then found that out. The type of gear that you break down gives you the materia that you seek.
    Can you put crafting/gathering gear on a lancer and doing duties to spirit bind it?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Ok. I was confused at first then found that out. The type of gear that you break down gives you the materia that you seek.
    Can you put crafting/gathering gear on a lancer and doing duties to spirit bind it?
    If you can equip it then yeah. That is one hell of a lot of grinding when you can just go buy the Materia off the AH. Trust me equipping crafting Materia is a lot harder then it sounds. If you level up Armorsmith for example they were all Leather so now you need to get Leatherworking to level 80 but their Rings/Earrings require Goldsmithing to meld materia so there is another 80 grind.

It is pretty obvious they went this direction to keep Materia reigned in across the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    If you can equip it then yeah. That is one hell of a lot of grinding when you can just go buy the Materia off the AH. Trust me equipping crafting Materia is a lot harder then it sounds. If you level up Armorsmith for example they were all Leather so now you need to get Leatherworking to level 80 but their Rings/Earrings require Goldsmithing to meld materia so there is another 80 grind.

It is pretty obvious they went this direction to keep Materia reigned in across the playerbase.
    You can't just use the materia melding NPC's to meld crafter/gatherer materia like you can for combat jobs?

Back in A Realm Reborn, we would craft up a bunch of gear that could be worn by any class (crafting/gathering gear didn't used to have any restrictions on who could wear it) and some for dps and we'd have an FC night where we'd hand out about 4 full sets of gear to everyone present. Hat, chest, belt, gloves, boots, pants x 4 for every member.

Then we'd just go kill the fast spawning mobs at Urth's fount for hours until every set was 100% spirit bound and convert to materia and we'd sell it all.

It was a bit of a grind, but it was fun to kick back with friends and chat while doing it and we built up our funds to get the #1 best plot in Mist - full mansion on the cliffside overlooking the ocean.

Now days, materia comes from so many sources, it's kind of a surprise it sells. If you're wanting it - try to join hunt trains when those are happening and run roulettes as the adventurer in need. You can use the item rewards to buy any materia and then you can toss that on the market board.

Below 80, I'm not sure what the best method of farming would be, nor if it's really worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

Now days, materia comes from so many sources, it's kind of a surprise it sells. If you're wanting it - try to join hunt trains when those are happening and run roulettes as the adventurer in need. You can use the item rewards to buy any materia and then you can toss that on the market board.

Below 80, I'm not sure what the best method of farming would be, nor if it's really worth it.
    Yeah that time invested vs yield is not even remotely worth it. You could EASILY farm even Copper Ore and sell it on the market then buy the Materia you see there that someone else Melded.

Most crafted Materia I see is either from Quest while leveling a profession or from people like me leveling one from 1-80 and turning that gear on the way up into Materia as it hits 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You can't just use the materia melding NPC's to meld crafter/gatherer materia like you can for combat jobs?
    You can't "overmeld" with the NPC, and I imagine that's what most crafters and gatherers do.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    You can't "overmeld" with the NPC, and I imagine that's what most crafters and gatherers do.
    I had forgotten that overmelding was even a thing since I see so few people do it. That makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I had forgotten that overmelding was even a thing since I see so few people do it. That makes sense.

Best way to Spiritbond crafter gear is to make whatever you can mass produce.

But you want to have the gear with all the materia slots filled and use a spirit bond potion.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    They restricted spiritbonding a while back to only work when performing the relevant activity... so no FATE grinding for craft/gather gear.