Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    it worked for everquest...
    HaHA what? It most certainly did not work for Everquest. Pay 2 win & abandoned community comes to mind.

Anyway WoW2 is an extremely bad idea, and should not be considered under any circumstance.

Simple answer: They can't. The talent is just not there anymore. They can barely keep an existing game going bleeding subs like crazy.

Why would anyone actually want wow 2. You lose your progress of 15 years, huge amount of dev time to just updating models which huge majority are not common models/zones you see regularly. In addition a wow 2 will have even less features and support of current wow because they would be building everything again. It has happened with destiny, it has happened with division. Wow 2 won't be a thing till the game is actually dead, barely supported, and used as a ploy to revitalize the franchise. Its not something you should want and its not realistic.

We are effectively already playing WoW 2.0, arguably even a higher "version", even ignoring the actual patch numbers.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

It's actually WoW 9.0 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    People don't get that this will NEVER happen.

A separate game splits the user community.
    heard that about official vanilla servers a few years back. you know what happened ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beuargh View Post
    heard that about official vanilla servers a few years ago. you know what happened ?
    Nothing, because you're still paying for WoW, which is what Blizzard cares about.

The ONLY way WoW 2.0 would work is if WoW 1.0 closes AND all achievements/pets/mounts/transmogs get transferred over to the new game with new models. People can say they don't care about these things but they still retain a level of prestige.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardourdan View Post
    The ONLY way WoW 2.0 would work is if WoW 1.0 closes AND all achievements/pets/mounts/transmogs get transferred over to the new game with new models. People can say they don't care about these things but they still retain a level of prestige.
    uh, no, quite the opposite, they would never "close" a game that people play forever. classic comes to mind.

That's what they're doing right this second.. You're not getting a whole new game..
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

Because it would be stupid to do so. They'd fracture the userbase further, for no good reason. The retail game has always gotten engine and graphic upgrades so that's not a reason to do it. The narrative is intended to evolve, so that's not a reason to do it. There's alreedy a home for regressives over in Classic so that's not a reason to do it.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Any problem could be fixed in WoW.
    -They could do any amount of time jumps in expansions.
    -They could update graphics with any new expansion.
    -They could remake the entire world, like they did in Cata.
    -They can adjust levels and item levels, as they've done (and are going to do in SL).
    -They could add any new class, or change any existing specs (like they did with Demonology and Survival).
    -They can kill off any character and build up new ones.
    -They can add any race they want, or add/remove factions.
    -They can add any landmass, planet, or realm.
    -They can fix any other technical issues (like the AH in 8.3).
    -They can add any new bad guy they want, like they're doing in SL.
    -They could add more customization (as they're doing in SL).
    -They could add player/guild housing if they wanted.

There's also no guarantee that:
    -People will play WoW 2 more than/as much as WoW/Classic. People may feel stretched too thin if all exist at once.
    -The story would be written better, since the writers for WoW would likely be working on "WoW 2" if they made it.
    -Classes would be more balanced, since the same devs working on WoW would likely be working on "WoW 2" if they made it.
    -Raids/dungeons/PvP would be designed better. Once again, same devs.
    -"Ending" WoW's story would be received well, if they're only going to continue it with another game set in the same universe, on the same world, with the same rules and baddies.

So, there really wouldn't be a reason for a "WoW 2" for, really, any reason as far as I see it. If they wanted to make other games (more RTS games, a fighting game, a dungeon crawler, whatever) they could easily do so within the story they have now for WoW - either as side stories, or covering things in the past (Troll Wars, War of the Ancients, Fall of the Black Empire, etc).
    Last edited by Destinas; 2019-11-07 at 06:21 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    If they're squishing the levels and making old zones useless, why not just make an entirely new 2.0 version of the game at this point? I get that Classic is there for nostalgia so there's no reason to leave old useless areas when we could have an all new game from top to bottom.
    They need to get started on WoW 2 if not already. Assuming the development time is 6 to 10 years it needs to start soon as possible as the current game is stagnating and in 10 years (5 expansions time) I doubt it's going to greatly improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    There is a difference that MMOs thrives on character investment, only GW and lineage truly made the jump successfully in the MMO market.
    Yes, I understand your argument. I see how it is a harder problem within a MMO like Destiny 2, vs a game like Overwatch.

However, I think the problem isn't insurmountable if it ends up in an overall good for the game. That's all I'm saying. I am afraid that the game is in decline and an infusion of excitement to a general audience(and not just past fans) would be better served by a sequel. When I view N4G or any other general gaming site, WoW news is lucky to get a comment about how boring it is, and mostly is just no comment at all. There is an apathy for WoW in the gaming community(imo) because of the expansion model, that games with sequel models just don't seem to have.

Now overwatch 2 has cosmetics. These cosmetics/achievements are basically the same/only thing that really differentiate your character from everybody else in wow. I wonder if people who buy OW2 are going to lose all their cosmetics and achievements(I doubt it)? Perhaps they can use how they handle the sequel formula in OW2 as a model to make a new MMO? I'm only saying that surely current community perception is not the only reason not to take a huge marketing win and increase the game's profile.

Personally, I think the biggest reason they won't do this is risk. There is the chance that it could mess up a good cash cow(same old wow) and not take off like they hope, which would leave them in a very bad spot I would imagine.

Why not build a new house instead of renovating your current one

Why would the Warcraft universe need a Warcraft 4 for "new lore". That has never made any sense to me. Can't the new lore just go into WoW? There aren't any rules saying that all WoW lore must come from somewhere else and there's no reason that an RTS should be able to tell a story better than a MMO if done correctly. Just bizarre reasoning to me unless I am missing something...

We're at WoW 8 and we've got WoW 9 next year

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Yes, I understand your argument. I see how it is a harder problem within a MMO like Destiny 2, vs a game like Overwatch.

However, I think the problem isn't insurmountable if it ends up in an overall good for the game. That's all I'm saying. I am afraid that the game is in decline and an infusion of excitement to a general audience(and not just past fans) would be better served by a sequel. When I view N4G or any other general gaming site, WoW news is lucky to get a comment about how boring it is, and mostly is just no comment at all. There is an apathy for WoW in the gaming community(imo) because of the expansion model, that games with sequel models just don't seem to have.

Now overwatch 2 has cosmetics. These cosmetics/achievements are basically the same/only thing that really differentiate your character from everybody else in wow. I wonder if people who buy OW2 are going to lose all their cosmetics and achievements(I doubt it)? Perhaps they can use how they handle the sequel formula in OW2 as a model to make a new MMO? I'm only saying that surely current community perception is not the only reason not to take a huge marketing win and increase the game's profile.

Personally, I think the biggest reason they won't do this is risk. There is the chance that it could mess up a good cash cow(same old wow) and not take off like they hope, which would leave them in a very bad spot I would imagine.
    I feel the same way, from their POV, the risks outweighs the benefits probably. And putting WoW on the line is a BIG risk.

But hell, they also could garner the attention of WAY more people, anyway, who knows. In it's current state I could see 3 or 4 more expansions before WoW enters maintenance mode, if it ever happens.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

If they are going to make WOW2, the only way would be something like they did with OW2. Let players who want an upgrade have it while still letting the ones who want to play the outdated one do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    Why would the Warcraft universe need a Warcraft 4 for "new lore". That has never made any sense to me. Can't the new lore just go into WoW? There aren't any rules saying that all WoW lore must come from somewhere else and there's no reason that an RTS should be able to tell a story better than a MMO if done correctly. Just bizarre reasoning to me unless I am missing something...
    Well, Warcraft 4 would help in telling bigger scales stories and help in creating new lore. The advantages of a RTS is that it allows you to tell several stories at the same time.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines