Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Really liked the direction they took. It was a tad long though.

Yup, all of their cinematics are amazing imo. Although I don't get the overtop humor guy, he felt awfully misplaced but not sure if it's meant to convey that people have become used to the world of sanctuary. However, even if thats true I don't think you would be as relaxed after demons attacking you like he was. It was an odd contrast to the other characters.

I also don't get what they were planning to do or why they were there originally. If they were willingly, why would they be attacked? At the same time at the end it seemed like they needed to be coerced or explained exactly what they needed to do. Which was willingly give blood, so in the end they wanted to bring Lilith there? I got the feeling he managed to "trick" them, or rather calm them down to do what they were supposed to do... so little confused.

Will watch it again and hopefully get a clearer view of it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    It was amazing. they are without a rival when it comes to cinematics. But I have 2 question.
    1- ... by the blood of the willing? I don't see those 3 as people willing to sacrifice themselves to summon a demon? Doesn't it say the blood of the willing? if it is blood of the living I can get how that summoning was so easily done.
    2- as I said, easy too easy summoning for such a demon. Come on people it is lilith, daughter of mephisto, creator of sanctuary. Don't we need some high priestess blood etc?

anyway willing or living is the main question.
    Well willing could be just as simple as willing to enter the place becouse im sure there was alot of warnings they slipped.

Some of the shots reminded me of the movie "The Cell", the last shot of the cinematics reminded me to most, since there was a very similar scene in the movie too.

I did not like the included ingame footage at blizzcon, but thats just a minor criticism.
    -

... by the blood of the willing? I don't see those 3 as people willing to sacrifice themselves to summon a demon? Doesn't it say the blood of the willing? if it is blood of the living I can get how that summoning was so easily done.
    They willingly gave their blood to open the door prior to the gateway. I'm assuming, from that point on, they were counted as "willing" insofar as the rest of the prophecy/summoning spell was concerned.

as I said, easy too easy summoning for such a demon. Come on people it is lilith, daughter of mephisto, creator of sanctuary. Don't we need some high priestess blood etc?
    This initially bothered me as well, but then I thought about it a bit, and I realized that it actually speaks to how much of a crapsack world Sanctuary is, that all it took were three hapless, greedy idiots to bring forth unspeakable evil upon the realm.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never really been a Diablo guy (although I know the story and love it).
    Before BlizzCon stared, I had a great expectations of WoW cinematic, however D4 cinematic trailer hit me like a truck..
    It was indeed the best video they have ever made. I wish they would start making full-length movies like this, I am sure they would be super successful (if they didn't mess up the story as they can do as we all know). Was the WoW movie like this, I would love it.

As for this:
    1- ... by the blood of the willing? I don't see those 3 as people willing to sacrifice themselves to summon a demon? Doesn't it say the blood of the willing? if it is blood of the living I can get how that summoning was so easily done.
    I was thinking about it too, but in fact there are two possible explanations:
    1. they had to sacrifice a little of their blood to unlock the seal and get into a summoning chamber - they did it willingly
    2. two of them were killed and forced to perform the ritual, but the pale guy (Rathma?) didn't kill the scholar, he instead convinced him to say the words - possibly because he needed at least one of the attendees to sacrifice themselves willingly

Also as someone already mentioned, humans are descendants of both angels and demons, if Inarius didn't use the Worldstone to diminish their Nephalem powers, they would be far stronger than their ancestors. Is blood of such 3 beings not enough to summon "just a demon" (although it is Lilith)?
    Last edited by Spiren; 2019-11-07 at 10:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Yup, all of their cinematics are amazing imo. Although I don't get the overtop humor guy, he felt awfully misplaced but not sure if it's meant to convey that people have become used to the world of sanctuary. However, even if thats true I don't think you would be as relaxed after demons attacking you like he was. It was an odd contrast to the other characters.

I also don't get what they were planning to do or why they were there originally. If they were willingly, why would they be attacked? At the same time at the end it seemed like they needed to be coerced or explained exactly what they needed to do. Which was willingly give blood, so in the end they wanted to bring Lilith there? I got the feeling he managed to "trick" them, or rather calm them down to do what they were supposed to do... so little confused.

Will watch it again and hopefully get a clearer view of it.
    They were there on the search of gold; the scholar was brought along because he knew how to read the runes and open the door; that was the "willing" part; they were willing to shed blood to gain entrance. Where it got a little hazy was the second part where they were definitely not willing, but, as someone else mentioned, it might be like the puzzle box from Hellraiser; they come for you even if you open the box unwittingly.

As for the humor part, think about the Comedian from Watchmen; aware of the horrors of humanity, he becomes a parody of it and revels in it. The thief may have been inured to the horrors enough to fight them off and laugh about it...although he didn't laugh for long.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Thank you for all the reasonable explanations. I got 6 explanations for my questions. After reading them yes it makes sense. To open the door they willingly let their blood into the seal. Scholar guy, also surrendered. And about the potential in humans, I can totally see that. Everything is clearer now and for some reason I cant stop voice acting the rathma? guy while taking shower since I saw the trailer.

It was amazing. they are without a rival when it comes to cinematics. But I have 2 question.
    2- as I said, easy too easy summoning for such a demon. Come on people it is lilith, daughter of mephisto, creator of sanctuary. Don't we need some high priestess blood etc?

They had already willingly gave up their blood to breach the door. They did enter the summoning room willingly and used their blood to do so.

The guy who ultimately summons Lillith is likely Rathma as well, which I'm sure he is aware how to bring his mother into this world.

Amazing cinematic but that itemization in the game made my hype die instantly.

Does anyone else think that the guy arranging for Lilith to get let out looks like Baal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Does anyone else think that the guy arranging for Lilith to get let out looks like Baal?
    It would be immensely weird for it to be Baal though, since Baal is of a higher demon rank than Lilith, and, well, Diablo currently has Baal's soul.

Guess Baal could've escaped, but I sincercly doubt he'd treat Lilith with any respect or reverence.

Maybe it's a former follower of Baal. Perhaps from the Tribune days, Lilith did take that over, maybe there is a connection there.

Quote Originally Posted by ElitePeon View Post
    It would be immensely weird for it to be Baal though, since Baal is of a higher demon rank than Lilith, and, well, Diablo currently has Baal's soul.

Guess Baal could've escaped, but I sincercly doubt he'd treat Lilith with any respect or reverence.

Maybe it's a former follower of Baal. Perhaps from the Tribune days, Lilith did take that over, maybe there is a connection there.
    I’m pretty sure all the Evils got out when Malthael shattered the stone and we killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    All the people complaining that it only took 3 dudes to free Lilith have forgotten that it only took one worthless shmuck to release Baal. Its reeeeal easy to summon/free demons in Sanctuary.
    Yes, but there are major differences in context in the way Lilith was summoned and Baal was released.

It looked really good. The texture work on the clothes and leather is, I think, some of the highest quality CGI ever at the moment.

As far as movements and general 'feel', though, I still think the Warlords of Draenor cinematic is the best cinematic Blizzard has ever done. The MoCap in it was phenomenally good. They should've won some sort of award for that alone.

I’m pretty sure all the Evils got out when Malthael shattered the stone and we killed him.
    Tyreal only talked about Diablo being free. If they were all free, then I don't think they'd only mention Diablo being free, but the fact that all seven were free.

I think his soul is still in possession of the other six when his soul was imprisoned in the Soulstone. His soulstone was broken, freeing him, but his soul was still in possession of the other six.

Even if it was all of them freed, I still don't think Baal would free Lilith.

Quoting this but meant to include also all subsequent posts. Just to summarize things up:
    - yes, all prime and lesser evils souls are free. Black Soulstone was shattered by Malthael so everyone can come back (Duriel and Andariel have been confirmed already)
    - Lilith is enemy of ALL the Prime Evils. She literally fled from them and wants Nephalem to be her personal army to conquer the universe. So i don't think any of the major demons would try to free her when it's just easier to have her locked in the Void and basically nullifying her.

I side with the Rathma theory for one reason: the old man in the gameplay trailer calls for "Hell is coming". However Lilith is not part of the Hell forces. So, her role in the story is still really unclear in my eyes - i'm not saying we won't clash with her, but she already went ballistic against angels and demons because they wanted to kill all the Nephalem, hence she could even "help us" (if we're all dead, she cannot create her army).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Diablo was released by a single priest summoning him into the Tristram Cathedral using a child's body as a vessel. Baal was released because someone yanked a stone out of Tal Rasha's forehead. Why is it such a stretch for Lilith to be released by a couple of assholes giving up their bodies to summon her at a locus of power?

The main contextual point in favor of your argument is the Sin War series' assertion that Inarius himself banished Lilith to the void, and that, after her initial escape, he took exceptional precautions to ensure she'd never be released again. I highly doubt the most powerful angel in Sanctuary (at the time) would be careless enough to cap her prison with a simple "three dudes give consent and she's free" lock.

But it's Blizzard, king of the retcons, so what can you do /shrug.
    I suppose it wasn't clear given my comment, but I agree with you. I just wanted to point out that there are major differences between releasing and summoning demons, contextually.

Baal's spirit was already there, removing the soulstone made Tal Rasha's body alone insufficient to hold his essence. And just cause of lore, it was on his chest, actually.

Now as to Inarius' precautions to prevent Lilith's return, we can't know for sure as I don't think it was canonically stated anywhere how strong/what was needed to free her. It is possible, though, that that whole chamber was architected by Rathma. If you pay close attention to the dialogue before they enter the tomb, the guy who stays behind (impersonated by Rathma), insists that the scholar among them has to make it to the tomb. Given context, it seems that it requires the blood/sacrifice of the one reading the ritual/prophecy (and those other two poor bastards).

I was thinking about that as well, but I feel like they were all willing when they originally used their blood for the seal to open the door. That's probably why the disguised demon made those other 2 guys do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragnipur View Post
    Yes the cinematic was of really high quality.I enjoyed it a lot.I didn't understand what was meant by the daughter of hatred,Creator of Sanctuary.But after a little research i found out it was not a metaphor for Mephisto
    It was a nice touch the way Blizzard worded it.The way they implied she is his daughter.

Why post a reply about your lack of knowledge, and then acknowledge your lack of knowledge? LOL