Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Q3 Earnings Call: 33M MAUs and WoW doing better than ever

Biggest quarterly sub spike in the frachise history. So WoW is definitely (still) not dying.

Erm yeah... that was cause of Classic's launch.

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    I don't think this is relevant information unless you work at a hedge or at blizzard receiving options.
    Or you know, the average working class American who holds ATVI stock....

Quote Originally Posted by notsouki View Post
    Or you know, the average working class American who holds ATVI stock....
    Or European..

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Biggest quarterly sub spike in the frachise history. So WoW is definitely (still) not dying.
    Driven by Classic. Which is not at all a good sign for retail.

Idk why you would invest in ATVI when there are so many other stable companies out there that do important things like you know...advance science....

But realistically, I don't think the majority of players are close to retirement age and are cashing anything out. sooo.....I guess it'd be nice to know if the stock wasn't doing well so you could buy. hm.
    If you have a 401k, you almost certainly own a (tiny) portion of ATVI as it's in both the NASDAQ and SP500.

The only thing that matters here is that :
    - Classic is not DOA
    - Classic is still going strong (and probably better than expected) 2 months in.

The way I envisioned it, Classic is more of a supplemental product that you play during your retail downtime. It's a bit too bland on its own, but if retail can finally bounce back, people will get into it as it really only takes 2 hours a night once your initial grind (60 + preraid + epic mount) is done.

I'm just as bad as you for questioning you, but like. Do actually you think it matters which game is more popular? Both that share the same subscription from the same corporation; the one you don't work for ya know,.. is profiting from?
    It does since retail costs a ton more to maintain with creating new content for it and all that. If all the profit is coming from classic then why bother making new content for retail?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It does since retail costs a ton more to maintain with creating new content for it and all that. If all the profit is coming from classic then why bother making new content for retail?
    If Classic does well (hint : still too early to tell), it will influence retail.

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Idk why you would invest in ATVI when there are so many other stable companies out there that do important things like you know...advance science....

But realistically, I don't think the majority of players are close to retirement age and are cashing anything out. sooo.....I guess it'd be nice to know if the stock wasn't doing well so you could buy. hm.
    I'm invested in many companies such as Visa. I've been dollar cost averaging ATVI since I graduated High School back in '08. Yearly dividends are nice

Wow they should post sub numbers again so we can see where it's at right now l0l

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll wait to see Q4 and Q1 results but if Classic can maintain anywhere near that through the Ny'alotha launch I think it's safe to say we're going to see some.... ahem, changes in Retail.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    How high were MAUs in previous quarters? (too lazy to google, would like it spoonfed)
    Up through 2018-Q2 at the link (scroll down a bit for the table). They're still well down from a year and a half ago not to mention 2017 when Blizzard's MAU numbers were well north of 40,000,000.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...-weakness.aspx

2019-Q1 : 32,000,000
    2019-Q2 : 32,000,000

I'm no expert but no new games in over three years (just expansions) is telling.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-11-08 at 07:15 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm no expert but no new games in over three years (just expansions) is telling.
    You could be on to something there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    You could be on to something there!
    Yeah, you'd think. There's something in those subscription numbers that they won't say that I would like to know and it's not what everyone would necessarily think. That's about footnote #2: "monthly or long-term subscriptions." It would be interesting to get behind those numbers and know how much of the increase in that snapshot is still active today.

It's good that the WoW IP is getting the credit for doing well. Snapshots can be pretty great. There are other stories though.

The main corporate stories are this though:

1. Blizzard needs to get off their asses and start releasing product more often. Engagement over the long run with the studio's titles is down a lot from just 24 months ago.

2. King's MAU numbers (247 million) swamp everything else so that a million here or there up or down is relatively meaningless for the ATVI stock investor.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-11-08 at 07:46 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Uh, yeah, WoW Classic.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

A ton of people left Fortnite for WoW. That's a sign of evolution right there, is you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think this is relevant information unless you work at a hedge or at blizzard receiving options.
    why exactly it isn't relevant ? it shows that wow is still beloved by many, just not this sh8t they offer now
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    sorry i cant sit back any more, it doesn't because not every wants to play a game in a time vacuum, you may love ur nostalgia, train but there are lots that dont, i didn't play back in vanilla and i found out that classic wasn't for me, i assume when classic is finished in 2021 that you will just unsub and stop playing wow again?, the every games success helps pay for the others. i wouldn't be surprised if some of the BO4 revenue went towards wow content

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'll wait to see Q4 and Q1 results but if Classic can maintain anywhere near that through the Ny'alotha launch I think it's safe to say we're going to see some.... ahem, changes in Retail.
    They alredy made changes. Entire Maw zone in Shadowlands is inspired by classic.

Don't wanna be mean against classic, but the MAU overall stayed the same.

Also 'biggest increase ever' doesn't mean anything. Is this in %?

So while the ususal increase is by -2% it now was by +1.5%?

This report doesn't say anything. If they would have written "The subs over all increased a lot" I would have said "Wow, classic was really worth the development time" but saying "The grow of wow was the biggest ever" is worth nothing.