Raspberry Pi 4 retropie question

Hello

I bought a pi 4 and as so many peepz want to install a retrostation at home.. now researching for hours it seems there are gigantic 250+ gigabyte images to download that include a lot of systems.. my question is however, as the pi has no internal storage how does this work?

Do you really need to buy a 512gb microsd card? Can you use a external USB drive or ? I am a bit confused.

Thanks!

Micro SD card or USB drive is your only options.

Maybe a external that hooks in via USB as well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Hello

I bought a pi 4 and as so many peepz want to install a retrostation at home.. now researching for hours it seems there are gigantic 250+ gigabyte images to download that include a lot of systems.. my question is however, as the pi has no internal storage how does this work?

Do you really need to buy a 512gb microsd card? Can you use a external USB drive or ? I am a bit confused.

Thanks!
    retropie is about 700mb. Roms, on the other hand, can take up a lot of space. This is why you shouldn't save those on your Pi's SD card, but on a networkdrive which you can access from the Pi.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    retropie is about 700mb. Roms, on the other hand, can take up a lot of space. This is why you shouldn't save those on your Pi's SD card, but on a networkdrive which you can access from the Pi.
    Is this fast enough ? I am a bit scared for lag.

Hello

Thanks!
    Id ask in the dedicated reddits for this. The mods here have a hardon for banning for this topic.

It will be fast enough, or you can just get a 1TB external drive and use that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about lag; those games are very light weight compared to what we're used to nowadays.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    You need an SD card, but the install shouldn't be 250+ GB

Retropie should at most be taking up 1-2 gigs of storage

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You need an SD card, but the install shouldn't be 250+ GB

Retropie should at most be taking up 1-2 gigs of storage
    Not if you start adding optical media systems.

The retropie image for pi 4 was released this week iirc.
    still sort of beta - but great image / engine. Used it a while,. but pi images kind of feel fragile to me.
    Proper interface and responding to shutdown, restart,.. and lack a default power or reset button without hardware alterations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    The retropie image for pi 4 was released this week iirc.
    still sort of beta - but great image / engine. Used it a while,. but pi images kind of feel fragile to me.
    Proper interface and responding to shutdown, restart,.. and lack a default power or reset button without hardware alterations.
    You can get MicroUSB adapters like this that have an on/off button
    https://www.amazon.com/LoveRPi-Micro.../dp/B018BFWLRU

It's what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You can get MicroUSB adapters like this that have an on/off button
    https://www.amazon.com/LoveRPi-Micro.../dp/B018BFWLRU

It's what I use
    Yes but, isn't this a hard on-off button? (you may as well unplug the cable)
    What you need is a soft button, that sends a clean shutdown to the OS, otherwise you still risk getting write faults on your micro SD card.
    Most such solutions involve soldering some of the power pins to call a toggle and run a shutdown script.