Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This has been a curious read (at least the parts of construct). Though honestly, this is been something reflective about other races. Where the strong undertones of stereotypes aren't as reflected in the races' skintone yet it bared no reactions over it. No one saw asian undertones of Pandaria to be naturally racist, but the lack of skintone on the Human was.

Just observation, how when it comes to a human characteristics of a race, representation becomes noticeably forefront of desires on choice, but when a green dude quotes a black guy the reaction is pretty null.

But real talk, I would like to see how Blizz would work in a naturally asian inspired Human into the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    You're right. They shouldn't allow non-whites in video games, should they.
    That's precisely what was in my post. It's easy to argue against made up stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    If by "technical restrictions" you mean "early 90's game development was full of almost exclusively white men people unless the company you worked for was Japanese" then yes.

Regardless of the systemic casual racism of many industries, it's good to see Blizzard giving customization options that didn't exist, even though they are VERY late to the party in terms of racial representation.
    I'm sure both of them had a role, but regardless, we agree it is good they are doing it now.

5+ Year Old Account
    The curse of flesh works in mysterious ways.

You can explain black/asian dwarves/gnomes the same way, if they chose to go that route (which I hope they do).

10+ Year Old Account
    On the opposite end of that coin, why do the wolves on Azeroth look the same as the wolves on outland?

Surely there must be some lore reason as to why two completely different species that evolved on entirely separate planets for untold millennia appear exactly the same, right?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen of Lordaeron View Post
    Cant humans from Azeroth have a variety of features without it mattering?
    whats the condition of those features though? are they just random mutations? like black parents can randomly just have an asian baby on azeroth? or is there genetic history and heritage that these people have that makes them look the way they do?
    which one sounds like a stupid option and which one sounds respectful? random mutation or heritage and lore?

And considering that this is a fantasy game where race plays a massive part of the lore and story line, its not a big ask to want to know the history and heritage of it. Hell we currently have more history and lore as to why some cow people have antlers and others dont. Tauren have better racial distinction than humans, we know yaungol come from pandaria, taunka from northrend, tauren from kalimdor and highmountain from broken isles. Trolls also have in depth lore that explains their different skin tones and builds, orcs have explanations for their different clans, elves have different branches, and dwarves have different branches.
    Getting fake upset that people want some explanation is really frustrating, its not a big ask.

If you have to post a "this isn't racist" preface, you're probably posting racist BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    On the opposite end of that coin, why do the wolves on Azeroth look the same as the wolves on outland?

Surely there must be some lore reason as to why two completely different species that evolved on entirely separate planets for untold millennia appear exactly the same, right?
    I genuinely want to know this, seemed like a big mistake on blizzards part, though maybe there is some cosmic nature deity that makes the blueprints for protospecies and wolves just happened to thrive out there or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    If you have to post a "this isn't racist" preface, you're probably posting racist BS.
    stop being fake offended, this isnt offending anyone its a fair discussion to have and it genuinely isnt racist. nobody would preface their discussion with that if it werent for people going out of their way to be offended on someone elses behalf to try score brownie points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Goldrinn exists on both Draenor and Azeroth. There are a few references that had him as part of orc culture prior to their coming to Azeroth (mostly under the tauren name Lo'gosh). Takrik Ragehowl is the most overt of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Goldrinn exists on both Draenor and Azeroth. There are a few references that had him as part of orc culture prior to their coming to Azeroth (mostly under the tauren name Lo'gosh). Takrik Ragehowl is the most overt of these.
    Did he travel to Azeroth or what?

I don't think genetics have to work in WoW like they do in real life. It's just more cosmetic options.

Of all the things to worry about lore wise, this is like bottom of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I don't think genetics have to work in WoW like they do in real life. It's just more cosmetic options.

Of all the things to worry about lore wise, this is like bottom of the list.
    if that was true, why bother giving each of the orc clans different feels and themes during WoD? before that, minus small things all orcs were the same. and only were different by the name of thier clan. Now each clan has thier own theme.

That is the same for the dwarf clans. and trolls.

instead of pandas they should have gone with asians on "Pandaria"

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient One View Post
    instead of pandas they should have gone with asians on "Pandaria"
    no one is saying to replace pandaren.. those who said pandaria said there could be humans who lived on or near pandaria that was unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    I'm sure both of them had a role, but regardless, we agree it is good they are doing it now.
    Oh of course. It boggles the mind that there are people arguing for having less customization options, let alone using racism as evidence in those arguments. Just makes it easy to see whom to ignore on the forums, I guess?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    whats the condition of those features though? are they just random mutations? like black parents can randomly just have an asian baby on azeroth? or is there genetic history and heritage that these people have that makes them look the way they do?
    which one sounds like a stupid option and which one sounds respectful? random mutation or heritage and lore?

And considering that this is a fantasy game where race plays a massive part of the lore and story line, its not a big ask to want to know the history and heritage of it. Hell we currently have more history and lore as to why some cow people have antlers and others dont. Tauren have better racial distinction than humans, we know yaungol come from pandaria, taunka from northrend, tauren from kalimdor and highmountain from broken isles. Trolls also have in depth lore that explains their different skin tones and builds, orcs have explanations for their different clans, elves have different branches, and dwarves have different branches.
    Getting fake upset that people want some explanation is really frustrating, its not a big ask.
    I'm not sure anyone is getting "fake upset". Humans already have varied kingdoms & cultures which have been established over the years spanning a continent. What's unbelievable about Stormwind or Lordaeron being big enough to contain multiple ethnicities?

The post is basically saying "Since all the classic kingdoms are taken by white + black people, where do the Asians come from?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    if that was true, why bother giving each of the orc clans different feels and themes during WoD? before that, minus small things all orcs were the same. and only were different by the name of thier clan. Now each clan has thier own theme.

That is the same for the dwarf clans. and trolls.
    Humans already have multiple playable kingdoms with varying cultures and themes in game.

You can be from Stormwind, Lordaeron, Gilneas, Kul Tiras, or "join" the Kirin Tor. Those are the cultural equivalents of multiple playable clans.

You just kinda have to accept the fantasy heritage with this one, because our real ancestry is much more complicated.
    Yes its suspected Asian features were at least partly influenced by geography, namely the Himalayas and Mongolian steppe. But where do the differences between European, Asian and sub-saharan africans come in? Where is the Denisovian ancestor that the eurpoean and asians have but not the rest? What about the Neanderthal? What about the genomes being differently closer to chimpanzee vs bonobo for certain groups and opposite for the others.

All these are real things that affected our development but they're also things that no longer should affect our development. Things that slowly happened over hundreds of thousands of years dont really have much bearing on a fantasy setting. I think very few people should realistically have the thought pattern of "Oh my god, why are there humans from a different portion of a different planet here? It totally ruins my realism. Now if you'd excuse me my tiny fox is off to yiff with a tentacle faced space goat."

I hope this helps clear up nothing.

The Easternest Kingdoms?

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I can totally understand why people would want some lore behind them since we've never seen an asian human in game, but I wouldn't hold my breath on blizzard allocating resources towards that. Hell, they already gave the asian accents to pandarens.
    Woo Ping was an Asian weapons trainer in Vanilla/Classic. But yeah, they're not likely to give it any backstory.

Perhaps have them come from Northrend? In lore they would have fled to the Eastern Kingdoms after the Lich King landed in Northrend and having created the scourge.

It get's really fucking cold in Northeast Asia, specifically on the Korean Peninsula. I still clearly remember using my e-tool to pry my boots out of the frozen mud in the morning while out in the field.