Thread: British accent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Present perfect, commonly used in the UK.

I have been working in education for years.

In the US you'd just use the past simple.

I worked in education for years.

- - - Updated - - -

American English is neither grammatically or lexically simpler than British English. It just uses tenses more precisely and has better word economy on expressing tenses.

Which oddly enough allows you to modulate formality levels more, drawing a clearer distinction between informal and formal speech.

It's not that perfect tense is not used in American English, it's just used more precisely.
    you got an example? i think id get it if i had an example. like i dont know how i speak with tense is different from the USA.

nvm i just realized you gave one haha, im having a slow day.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand the dialect(s) that use th-fronting. It makes them sound retarded. "It's my birfday!"

- - - Updated - - -

American English is neither grammatically or lexically simpler than British English. It just uses tenses more precisely and has better word economy on expressing tenses.

Which oddly enough allows you to modulate formality levels more, drawing a clearer distinction between informal and formal speech.

It's not that perfect tense is not used in American English, it's just used more precisely.
    Those sentences do not mean the same thing. American English is simpler since you basically use the past simple for everything. Word economy is a scourge, you Americans do it constantly. It's so annoying when I listen to someone from the States saying "gotta" "kinda" "outta" all the time. British people do not use those ones that often.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't really see why you think the "US version" is better or easier to understand than the "UK version".

"I have been working in education for years." - Implies that you have worked in education for a long time, and that you still do.
    "I worked in education for years." - Implies that you worked in education for a long time, but don't now.

Change that to "I've worked" or "I have worked" and they are much closer in meaning.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Not a fan myself. I was stationed in Germany a few decades ago and would often take good ol Ryanair to various places over Europe for super cheap and of course the UK was easy mode since they speak English so we ended up more often than not. I cannot tell you how many times I'd be at a pub with friends and some girls would come in with some bizarre voice that would act as repellent. On the whole though, it's a pretty shitty reason to dislike someone as its something they generally can't help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like them for the most part. When I was in London, there was this bus driver who seemed drunk or high and I couldn't understand a word he said.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is what I think of when you say British accent

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaD009 View Post
    What bother's me the most about British accents is how many words are improperly pronounced.
    I find words being outright misused to be more baffling. Recently I've been informed that desert, and desert-type snacks are colloquially referred to as pudding, regardless whether or not the snack/desert is an actual pudding. Was one of the weirdest anecdotes I heard about the UK after some of my family went to visit relatives who live there.

The story went as follows: My cousins asked my younger sister if she wanted pudding, she declined, then the cousins went and got popsicles/ice pops from the freezer.

OT: I tend to like British accents, as long as they're still understandable. I don't know enough about accents in the UK to really differentiate between most accents (I have trouble hearing the difference between Scottish and and Irish accents).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Standard British aka RP is the best. Some accents are alright and some are absolutely hideous like cockney and scouse.
    Who or what is RP??

Standard British is the Home Counties accent, which is bascially an everyday version of the Queen's english.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neenaw View Post
    Who or what is RP??

Standard British is the Home Counties accent, which is bascially an everyday version of the Queen's english.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I can't stand the dialect(s) that use th-fronting. It makes them sound retarded. "It's my birfday!"
    That's just being uneducated/common...

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh I see. Never seen it abbreviated before.

Didn't think about it much after my 7th or 8th birthday. Before that I think it went as far as asking my mom why they talk different.