Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Seems like a first step towards a society that values the well-being of workers as contributors over the profits of the 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    I currently work 32 hours a week over 4 days. Couldn't ask for a better schedule. My days of working 60+ hours a week are done. I don't even care if I make less. I have more time to enjoy my life.
    I would take a 20% pay cut to only work 4 days a week in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my employer would probably disagree.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

I'm a big fan of my 4 day a week schedule when I get it. Work 10 hours 4 days a week then im off 3 days. Keeps me happy, but fuckers won't stop quitting so I end up back on 5 days and 45-50 a week too often.

Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    I would take a 20% pay cut to only work 4 days a week in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my employer would probably disagree.
    One of the things I did was research who works mainly 4 day work weeks. Dentists. So I went back to school, became a dental assistant, and found a M-Th 8-5(1 hour lunch break) office.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am curious why on Earth you'd feel some sort of duty or reason to feel that way. That is perhaps the most bizarre attitude towards work I've ever seen.
    Four reasons I guess:

1) My father worked similar hours and he was and still is highly successful in his field.
    2) I enjoy my job and most days the work doesn't feel like work, just feels like interesting things that need done.
    3) My job is highly customer facing in that each call I have I'm face to face with the customers and I get to know them and their circumstances fairly well as most contract for my companies service for 3-5 year terms on their particular equipment. Many calls are more like helping neighbors out in crisis, since I've known them so long.
    4)About 3/5 of my job is driving to customer locations or field sites and driving doesn't really feel like work to me. I clock like 1000+ miles a week while doing 20-30 calls and a large portion of that time is road time.

I'll admit it is a different mentality but granted I also work in a very rural part of the country. The largest city I visit is 36000 people. The smallest is 200 people. Average is about 8000.

If I worked in a 1-5 million person metro I might feel differently. *shrug*
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

I have always been partial to the idea of a “two days on, one day off” schedule. The weeks alternate between you having two days off and three days off.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    I work half a day a week, sometimes 2 thirds of a day. This will have little to no effect on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Seems like a first step towards a society that values the well-being of workers as contributors over the profits of the 1%.
    No no. You got it wrong. Working only 4 days, workers will produce more, the profits will not be reduced.
    It benefits the companies, and the profits of the 1%, and everyone else.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    No no. You got it wrong. Working only 4 days, workers will produce more, the profits will not be reduced.
    It benefits the companies, and the profits of the 1%, and everyone else.
    Only if a share of that 40% increase in productivity somehow makes it back to the workers though.
    I foresee that certain countries would implement this, cut the salary accordingly, and bank on the saved cash + the increased profits whilst telling their workers that they can work harder if they want more pay all the same.

Which would kinda defeat the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    40 Hours a week is not that bad.

People who want 3 day weekends are fucking Lazy.

I always think im going to enjoy 3 day weekends, but by day 3 im going stircrazy.

People need to man up.
    That's because you have nothing going on In your life. I can make 3 days, 6 days, 12 days etc go in the blink of an eye. I'm firmly of the opinion support yourself or get nothing (no welfare) but if 4 days can support you I'm all for more time off. Its proven people are more productive if they have more time off. Get a hobby would be my advice or just enjoy not having to get up for work and watching a movie in bed.

7+ Year Old Account
    I used to work Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue 10 hour days with 3 days off. It was a pretty nice schedule (especially considering the weekends were dead, and I was there by myself most of the time). Sadly that department shut down, I stayed with the company but moved into a new role (QA) that is M-F.

15+ Year Old Account
    40 Hours a week is not that bad.

People who want 3 day weekends are fucking Lazy.

I always think im going to enjoy 3 day weekends, but by day 3 im going stircrazy.

People need to man up.
    Get a hobby to keep yourself busy for those 3 days, or go out?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

7+ Year Old Account
    This would seem to work for a certain part of the workforce, where work amount and need of labor is a certain amount.
    Not so much for people who work for small private companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Either one. I've long felt that it's decades past going to a 4 day week (without 10 hour days) and it just stays around due to inertia. It would balance the week out more as 4/3 instead of 5/2.

That said I doubt it will take off. Even if you got a company to do it, that means everyone is taking a pay cut because no company is going to pay 40 hours for 32, even if they should.
    That's what Microsoft Japan did. Paid them for 40 but only worked 32. They got more work done with the shorter week and kept the same size paycheck.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a teacher, getting through the yearly curriculum with 5 days a week is already pretty tight. Four days would help both teachers and students with productivity and quality of life for sure, but we would probably need to change to year round school, which I'm not necessarily against either.

I would love to work a 32 hour 4 day work week. I would need to earn the same amount of money though.

In addition to reducing working hours, managers urged staff to cut down on the time they spent in meetings and responding to emails.
    They suggested that meetings should last no longer than 30 minutes. Employees were also encouraged to cut down on meetings altogether by using an online messaging app (Microsoft's, of course).
    This alone would make my year. God, I am so tired of meetings. After we got acquired by a mega-corp a couple years ago, the amount of time we spend in meetings has been going up every month. We went from one daily 10 minute meeting to a daily 30 minute meeting, three weekly 2 hour meetings, one monthly 2 hour meeting, one monthly four hour meeting, and then random hour-long meetings that could happen at any time. I spent less than half of my time doing my job and the rest in meetings.

They're not even useful meetings. Some of them are meetings just to decide what to have more meetings about. All of them could have been an email. GOD.

The four day work week thing makes sense though. If other companies are like ours, nobody is ever productive on Friday. We do our morning meetings, take the team out for a very long lunch, then come back and half-ass our work because we're all burnt out from the 93 meetings and whatever work we did get to do earlier in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    That's because you have nothing going on In your life. I can make 3 days, 6 days, 12 days etc go in the blink of an eye. I'm firmly of the opinion support yourself or get nothing (no welfare) but if 4 days can support you I'm all for more time off. Its proven people are more productive if they have more time off. Get a hobby would be my advice or just enjoy not having to get up for work and watching a movie in bed.
    Yes please assume more about my life.

Please assume that I don’t venture into mountains, named after viking gods, for a week every year for hiking. Don’t assume I don’t have d&d groups I attend or friends I enjoy spending time with. Just assume that i’m another dumb ass millennial who can’t manage their fucking time or their money. Just assume I eat, sleep and work and that my life is shallow.

Jesus fuck.

10+ Year Old Account

Please assume that I don’t venture into mountains, named after viking gods, for a week every year for hiking. Don’t assume I don’t have d&d groups I attend or friends I enjoy spending time with. Just assume that i’m another dumb ass millennial who can’t manage their fucking time or their money. Just assume I eat, sleep and work and that my life is shallow.

Jesus fuck.
    I mean.. You're kinda the one who said that you have nothing going on in your life when you said you couldn't get 3 days to pass without going crazy. Someone who had something to do wouldn't go crazy spending 3 days doing things other than work.

Also, worth noting that Cruor didn't call you a millenial or said you couldn't manage your money.

Jesus fuck.
    If you think a 3 day weekend is too long, I don't assume, I know. I could make a 30 day weekend go in a flash.