Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Except Chronicles were never said to contain all of the lore. Blizzard said just the opposite in fact. Only that the lore it does cover is the definite canon. Blizzard adding new lore after the fact doesn't conflict with the concept of Chronicles, including it being written by an omniscient narrator, as long as it doesn't contradict what has been said in it.
    Blizzard also said that some parts of the lore that was left out of Chronicles is still canon if they come from an already canon source.

Chronicles was a way to summarize and streamline the lore. That was the original intention that was marketed. Blizzard saying "its from the PoV from titans" is a way to half-ass any explanation for the terrible retcons they have done since then.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Blizzard also said that some parts of the lore that was left out of Chronicles is still canon if they come from an already canon source.

Chronicles was a way to summarize and streamline the lore. That was the original intention that was marketed. Blizzard saying "its from the PoV from titans" is a way to half-ass any explanation for the terrible retcons they have done since then.
    its always been from the titans pov though
    yeast

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaksies View Post
    Werent you saying that the titans didnt write chronicle? Im pretty stupid tbh so sorry if u didnt
    We all know about what's been said at blizzcon, dude, that's the whole point of this thread. The conversation right now is about that was absolutely factually not true --->until it was stated at blizzcon<---, how it is effectively a retcon, and how you railing against people who have shown you multiple sources dating from before blizzcon about how the statement that "the chronicles are from the titan's pov" is incosistent including several blizz and third part sources calling it the "definitive Warcraft history", one of the writers saying that it's not written from a in-game character perspective, and another one (Metzen) saying that the purpose of the Chronicles is to "codify, tighten up and clarify the history of Warcraft." The Chronicles is only written "from a titan pov" because it was said so on the Blizzcon panel this year. Everything else, including just reading through the book, points to that statement being incorrect.

Except that it wasn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    I wonder whatever titan was an ingame character on september 25th 2015.

Edit: Also worth noting that chronicles 1 didn't release until march 15th 2016. Linking this tweet is like linking the legion alpha questline where DK's actually raise Tirion as modern day canon.
    Suggesting linking one of the Authors of the very book that is being discussed explicitly stating that the intent of the book, that they were releasing soon and already had pre-orders out, as a historical book for WoW and that it is not written by an in-game character isn't worthwhile. You are joking aren't you? Unlike Alpha, the book's intent wasn't changed until after it went "live", several years after in fact.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

"Of course they wrote it if its from their perspective! What??? Thats like saying in a movie where someone is holding the camera (like in one of those horror movies like blair witch) its from their perspective but their not the ones recording" Yes, but the movie wasn't written nor directed by the camera man either. The same way that, while the perspective and story is mostly on the Titan's point of view, the story itself wasn't written by them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, guys, literally rewatch this again:

https://twitter.com/PyromancerSarg/s...75529964281856

"It's from the Titan's POV, as well as their creation's POV, due to them ordering Azeroth, etc. But, it's also from other people's POV's as well".

The Chronicles was never just the Titan's POV. However, they were given the most development in terms of cosmology.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Suggesting linking one of the Authors of the very book that is being discussed explicitly stating that the intent of the book, that they were releasing soon and already had pre-orders out, as a historical book for WoW and that it is not written by an in-game character isn't worthwhile. You are joking aren't you? Unlike Alpha, the book's intent wasn't changed until after it went "live", several years after in fact.
    I'm suggesting that certain people who are known for drawing incorrect conclusions from statements made by blizz devs are continuing their pattern and once again drawing incorrect conclusions.

The linked twitter comment simply states it is not from an ingame character perspective. This is correct and does not go against the titans info we have now as the titans were not ingame characters at the time of the comment being made, hell at that time the titans were assumed long dead at the hands of Sargeras. Not my fault people here constantly fight against anything that goes against their perceived headcanon, going so far as to knowingly misinterpret evidence to support their fragile stances on things.
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5+ Year Old Account
    Except that it wasn't.
    read chronicle closely, its kinda obvious

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by defibrillator View Post
    We all know about what's been said at blizzcon, dude, that's the whole point of this thread. The conversation right now is about that was absolutely factually not true --->until it was stated at blizzcon<---, how it is effectively a retcon, and how you railing against people who have shown you multiple sources dating from before blizzcon about how the statement that "the chronicles are from the titan's pov" is incosistent including several blizz and third part sources calling it the "definitive Warcraft history", one of the writers saying that it's not written from a in-game character perspective, and another one (Metzen) saying that the purpose of the Chronicles is to "codify, tighten up and clarify the history of Warcraft." The Chronicles is only written "from a titan pov" because it was said so on the Blizzcon panel this year. Everything else, including just reading through the book, points to that statement being incorrect.
    if you read chronicle closely you could always tell it was from the titans. read critically and dont take everything at face value.
    yeast

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    if i remember correctly golden received death threats and loads of other crap for her portrayal of a fictional character. some people DO not understand the difference between this video game and real life.
    Sure, but you don't simply dismiss a valid complaint because there are irrational people at the extremes.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

if you read chronicle closely you could always tell it was from the titans. read critically and dont take everything at face value.
    Including the premise under which something is sold, right? There's no such thing as false advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Thanks for proving my point. Your complete and total lack of understanding of what I meant in my original post is palpable. To be honest, I can't even imagine how you came to the conclusion that came up with at all. After all, the topic of this thread isn't the Chronicles per se, but rather the recent statement that the books are "written from the pov of the titans." In other words, what's shitting on Metzen's legacy isn't the Chronicles, it's the laughable idea that the books were somehow written from the point of view of the titans. Metzen clearly intended for the Chronicles to be a factual anthology of Warcraft lore. But the uninspired devs who are scraping for content clearly can't work with that, so they have to go out of their way to retcon it in order to freely write new stories without people breathing down their necks about them being lore-rape.

I'm honestly not sure if this is a troll statement but I'm leaning towards the side that it is.

Yikes. You're still pretending like there's any room for this whole "the chronicles is written by the titans" nonsense? Despite being utterly debunked with factual information from writers' mouths, blizzard ads and descriptions of the Chronicles themselves on multiple third-party seller websites? AND you have the audacity to start insulting people, calling them "brainless" for not aligning with your ridiculous standpoint? Cringe bro, cringe.
    Youre actually DELUDED its hilarious
    "In other words, what's shitting on Metzen's legacy isn't the Chronicles, it's the laughable idea that the books were somehow written from the point of view of the titans"

Apart from the fact that on literal page one Chris tells the reader thats its perspective of the titans....... If you actually READ THE BOOK you can tell how its written its written via a perspective. Its literally ALWAYS was written via this perspective not "oh hey now its this way" Thats EXACTLY how it was written.
    "The uninspired devs" Oh you mean the people WHO CO WROTE CHRONICLES WITH HIM.

I mean you are either a top tier troll or just really dumb. Go read the literal first page of Chronicle 1 its a message from Chris then go proceed to read Chronicles it leaves out tons and tons of information in summary because the titans dont want to mention it or gloss over it. They entire origin of the Shadowlands is left out on top of myriad of things. Whenever he writes the words history in the opening preface its wrote down like this ........history.........

"Its a TOP-DOWN view that we can more clearly see that dangerous yet glorious horizons ahead. And even in the face of all this......history..... Im farily certain that the adventure is only just begging!
    If you know anything about grammar you know what it means when you italicize something.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-11-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming

Nope. Tweet from one of Chronicle’s writers states it was intended as what it was marketed as: a lore compilation. Nothing about being open to interpretation.

https://twitter.com/burnzerker/statu...769998849?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    The linked twitter comment simply states it is not from an ingame character perspective. This is correct and does not go against the titans info we have now as the titans were not ingame characters at the time of the comment being made, hell at that time the titans were assumed long dead at the hands of Sargeras. Not my fault people here constantly fight against anything that goes against their perceived headcanon, going so far as to knowingly misinterpret evidence to support their fragile stances on things.
    Lmao can you reach any harder. Laughing at headcanon despite doing it just as hard. The titans are in game characters. They always have been.
    Last edited by Goldielocks; 2019-11-10 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    You still don't get it, do you? It wasn't opinion. It can't be wrong.

Your argument about "how history is always written by the winners" is invalid. That what was wrong, we didn't have any winners, we didn't have any losers, it's not real life. It's a computer game and saying that "but in real life..." is wrong by default.

I won't answer to that because that's not the topic of discussion.

I won't waste 17 minutes on listening of some random dude on YT.

And that's the essence of our conversation. Everything I've written was about "why they didnt make a book abour pure, definitive lore". And that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The only thing thats wrong here is that Chronicles was always written from the view of the titans and you cant deal with it. Fact. Its written on page one of the first book.
    Wow its a video game great job dude, if its a video game then why do you care? Do you understand how you write fiction? You write it from the perspective of the characters.

OMG why did Tony Stark have to die in Avengers? Well Robert wanted to move on with the MCU. No fucking shit but thats not the reason in universe genius. Your argument is "well the writers wrote it that way"
    Yea no shit but then why get invested in anything?
    Why did Walter White want to sell drugs? "well thats how the writers wrote it". Thats not how you study fiction genius.

Well its not suprise you dont want to do some little research and enlighten yourself i mean ignorance is bliss.
    If you ask the question "why they didnt make a book abour pure, definitive lore".

I ask why should they write it about that? Even the book of Cain an extremely DETAILED and popular book is not written like that its written from the perspective of Deckard Cain.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Nope. Tweet from one of Chronicle’s writers states it was intended as what it was marketed as: a lore compilation. Nothing about being open to interpretation.

https://twitter.com/burnzerker/statu...769998849?s=21

Lmao can you reach any harder. Laughing at headcanon despite doing it just as hard. The titans are in game characters. They always have been.
    >Claims person cannot reach any harder with their headcanon

>takes an out of date twitter comment woefully out of context to support their own fragile headcanon

U wot m8?
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It seems like the guy just wanted his theories to be true so he twisted what they actually said to suit them.

I donno, doesn't seem like anything is different here.

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't change a thing for me. It's still my go-to source for the most consistent timeline of the Warcraft chronology as well as a cosmological primer for when I do any WoW fanfiction. Unless Blizzard decides to release a Chronicles 4 that upends all of that (unlikely) or reboots the compendium in the future, I will still be using Chronicles.

3+ Year Old Account
    I mean...the entire lore for close to two decades have seen retcon after retcon at this point; as long as it’s a good yarn, and most of Chronicles was an enjoyable read, I’m not that touched if they retcon the crap out of it. Just my opinion; your mileage may vary.

Edit - I’m always surprised by the number of people that believe that the Titans are some infallible source. History is written by the view of the victors, and just because someone wins doesn’t mean that they’re always in the right. I see the Titans as vastly overpowered children who think that they’re doing the right thing because they think that it’s the right thing, but that there’s plenty of things that they don’t understand or perhaps don’t even think all of the way through.
    Last edited by Aleloron; 2019-11-10 at 06:29 AM.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    Youre actually DELUDED its hilarious

Apart from the fact that on literal page one Chris tells the reader thats its perspective of the titans.......
    It says no such thing actually. Maybe YOU need to read it instead of spitting out lies and falsehoods.

But please, entertain me for this moment and actually find the quote from that message in the preface from Metzen that says "this is from the PoV from the titans" since you keep saying that it is "fact".

But I know you won't, hence why you keep saying "look it up yourself". Only those with no substance to their arguments constantly shout out "look it up yourself".
    Last edited by Volardelis; 2019-11-10 at 06:37 AM.

The only thing thats wrong here is that Chronicles was always written from the view of the titans and you cant deal with it. Fact. Its written on page one of the first book.
    And as I wrote above, I have right now no problems with it, lol.

Wow its a video game great job dude, if its a video game then why do you care? Do you understand how you write fiction? You write it from the perspective of the characters.
    lol no. Manuals were written from the Gods perspective, and as I wrote above plenty of times - I thought that Chronicles contain the objective truth written from the writers perspective.

OMG why did Tony Stark have to die in Avengers? Well Robert wanted to move on with the MCU. No fucking shit but thats not the reason in universe genius. Your argument is "well the writers wrote it that way"
    Yea no shit but then why get invested in anything?
    Why did Walter White want to sell drugs? "well thats how the writers wrote it". Thats not how you study fiction genius.
    First you used argument about "how story is written by the victors", which was WRONG because that's a fantasy world, not the real world. So I disregarded that argument immediately because it was pointless, now you're saying me how I should study fiction?
    Do you already have appointments with therapist or something? Because your personal arguments and that you're getting mad without even a slighty reason is worrisome. And I'm serious. Why are you so toxic? What's wrong with you?

Well its not suprise you dont want to do some little research and enlighten yourself i mean ignorance is bliss.
    If you ask the question "why they didnt make a book abour pure, definitive lore".

I ask why should they write it about that? Even the book of Cain an extremely DETAILED and popular book is not written like that its written from the perspective of Deckard Cain.
    Because they can?
    So people could follow the WoW Lore? So the returning/new players could learn something about the game they're playing? What's the point of learning something from another person point of view(because it can be mendacious) and then learning it doesn't contain whole truth or doesn't show the historical facts from the game from the bigger perspective?

-snip-
    -snip-
    This dude is lunatic and highly toxic, I honestly have no idea why I'm wasting my time discussing with him things that shouldn't even be discussed. I'm stopping wasting my time here with that guy and I advise you guys to do the same.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-11-10 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

How can Chronicles be written by the Titans when the book states them to be dead and lose their souls before being able to infuse Titan Watchers.

But then in Legion they just show up and aren't dead.

Did the Titans write themselves a dramatic play or something?

They are lying about their own deaths. And that same lie does match up with Wrathion's quote about "rebuilding the final Titan" in MoP.

Sure Blizzard had to retcon something again to be able to asspull some new stuff into the game but then they shouldn't have sold the Chronicle books as a kind of lore encyclopedea. This feels like lying to the fans to get them to buy something which later becomes obsolete.