Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW Anniversary: what would you have done?

Hi everybody I’m seeing a lot of complaint about the WoW 15 year event. Personally I don’t hate it or love it. I just think it’s a cool idea and something fun to do.
    But a lot of people are complaining and saying it sucks etc.

So my question is. What would you have done and why is it better?

the idea behind the event is fine. but the implementation is not.

i would have either made all the fights take longer, even the entire fights. or i have would have kept it the way it is now, with the short segments, but strung like 10 of them after each other instead of 3.

the AV part, just make the rewards come from doing the actual BG and it's fine.

maybe add a little questchain to the whole thing too, a childrens week type of sight seeing tour.

I'm fine with how it is now. It's supposed to be a gift for us for supporting their game(s) for 15 years..I don't understand where people get this weird idea that we should be doing all sorts of annoying and/or difficult tasks to get a little appreciative present. It should be do-able by everybody, even little johnny who just dinged 120 and never raided all his life. I for one would not want to do all those annoying raid bosses in a full fight with all the tactics and what not..I still have nightmares about Heigan from when I raided naxx when it was relevant.

I would have rather had each boss fight be from 100% to 0% but with LFR difficulty. Everyone watching asmongold stream along with asmongold himself was just like "wtf is this" and was just completely disappointed that they didnt even get to finish a phase or experience the key mechanic of the fight.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why any complaints at all. They are/were under no obligation to do anything at all for a anniversary. Other than trying to toot their own horn/brag why even bother mentioning the date.

The idea wasn't bad, just let us do these encounters from beginning to end. That's literally the only thing they would have to change. I was especially disappointed with Nefarian, since you never actually get to fight him. Once you're off the platform, you jump to the next one.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with it as it is right now. We got a cool throwback style BG experience that gives two cool mounts, a quick one-and-done raid experience that gives a cool ass mount, and a free pet just for logging in. I don't understand why people want more. In the past all we got for attending the anniversary was a free pet and a double xp item. And even then not every year had a free pet IIRC. It wasn't until like a few years ago that they went all out by adding the MC raid and the Hillsbrad BG, which were a nice refreshing change of pace from simply getting an achievement for logging in and the occasional free pet every other year.
    Last edited by DaHomieG; 2019-11-10 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    In the past all we got for attending the anniversary was a free pet and a double xp item.
    And every year that was like that, people were disappointed and frustrated with Blizzard for not caring.

They tend to do really special things around really special numbers. 10th anniversary was Molten Core, and this time they hyped people for another big thing with nostalgia raids and it honestly ended up being less fun than Molten Core was 5 years ago. They could've done ICC timewalking, which would've fit in with the Shadowlands announcement, and that might have been a cooler event.

At the end of the day, an event still has to be fun. It's all fine and well to say that some years we didn't get anything, but if you do an event and people end up saying, that wasn't fun, I'm disappointed, you still failed to deliver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by How dare you View Post
    And every year that was like that, people were disappointed and frustrated with Blizzard for not caring.

They tend to do really special things around really special numbers. 10th anniversary was Molten Core, and this time they hyped people for another big thing with nostalgia raids and it honestly ended up being less fun than Molten Core was 5 years ago. They could've done ICC timewalking, which would've fit in with the Shadowlands announcement, and that might have been a cooler event.

At the end of the day, an event still has to be fun. It's all fine and well to say that some years we didn't get anything, but if you do an event and people end up saying, that wasn't fun, I'm disappointed, you still failed to deliver.
    I just went back and checked, and the only pets we've ever gotten for the anniversary events were the Baby Blizzard Bear, the Onyxian Whelpling, the Nefarian Whelpling and the Molten Corgi. Every other anniversary event didn't give us shit aside from an achievement and a double xp item. So I don't understand why people are complaining it's not enough when every other year there's literally nothing.

I would have released a Vanilla version of the game, for good old times sake and because people were asking for it anyway.

I just went back and checked, and the only pets we've ever gotten for the anniversary events were the Baby Blizzard Bear, the Onyxian Whelpling, the Nefarian Whelpling and the Molten Corgi. Every other anniversary event didn't give us shit aside from an achievement and a double xp item. So I don't understand why people are complaining it's not enough when every other year there's literally nothing.
    I just adressed that. In the post you quoted.

They do special things around special numbers.

10th anniversary was Molten Core.

15th anniversary was announced as a nostalgia trip through different raids with old raid bosses. It was announced like that, and people had expectations because of that announcement. Then it ended up being underwhelming, mainly because people expected to fight certain old bosses, but it ended up being just a quick "hey look at this boss" and then you moved on, never actually getting the satisfaction of killing the bosses, which is the most important thing about fighting raid bosses.

So pointing out that in some years we have literally gotten nothing does not make this event more fun. Those years in which we did get literally nothing, people stormed the forums talking about how Blizzard doesn't even care anymore. One year, they even send out the letter from the previous year and got their own anniversary number wrong.

This event isn't bad. It is the second-best event we ever got. But it is still very underwhelming, and all that does is tell you that most years were even worse, and the best year was probably the Molten Core one 5 years ago, at least in my opinion.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Hi everybody I’m seeing a lot of complaint about the WoW 15 year event. Personally I don’t hate it or love it. I just think it’s a cool idea and something fun to do.
    But a lot of people are complaining and saying it sucks etc.

So my question is. What would you have done and why is it better?
    I was kind of excited to do the entire fights, not having done it when it was current content. the fact that it was LFR kinda made me a bit nervous - I remember doing the MC LFR and it fucking sucked. that being said, the fights were nice and quick - but yeah would've liked to have given the whole fight a go. AV is fine. I am glad they are doing it for 2 months rather than 2 weeks - means I can really spam AV for rep

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of the event itself, not the rewards. This is why we can't have nice things anymore, everything is short but never to the point. It's about the experience. This is hard to understand for casuals who log in less than 10 minutes then dip out.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2019-11-10 at 04:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they did it right. My only complain is the hassle getting to the CoT, but in the scheme of things that's nothing.

And no, it shouldn't have been the full fight. People can already do that. It's one loot chest for 3x 30% of different bosses, adding up to roughly one boss. The whole idea is to remember those fights, not do them. It's a celebration, not a raid. It would be such a nightmare having to do TW versions of them all. It's sufficient hard, but still bite sized.

If you want to relive it fully, reroll a level 70/80/85 and do them.

And as people have mentioned, they are under no obligation to do anything for the anniversary so people have no right to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

My favorite anniversary event was Onyxia re-done for level 80. So I'd probably have just chosen one epic boss fight and re-done it proper instead of segments, like Lich King fight scale to level 120. Players just head into ICC, take elevator up the spire, do the Lich King fight and get Invincible as a drop.

I probably would've omitted the PvP thing entirely and thrown in a quest chain instead that involved a walk through of the story up to BFA narrated by Chromie (in the same style as the BE heritage quest) Maybe it could be more personalized to the character it was done on, and only showed things they did when it was current? I wouldn't mind something like that tbh.

Make it reward a cool armor set or a toy, something to make it worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    I think they did it right. My only complain is the hassle getting to the CoT, but in the scheme of things that's nothing.
    There is a portal to the CoT in Org/Stormwind so I don't see how that's a hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have put the old world (with all old models obviously) into caverns of times permanently

They should’ve narrowed the bosses down to three like Kael’Thas, Lich King and added Kel’Thuzad instead and made us do the whole fights.

AV is fine. The ways to earn badges are a little weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by How dare you View Post
    The idea wasn't bad, just let us do these encounters from beginning to end. That's literally the only thing they would have to change. I was especially disappointed with Nefarian, since you never actually get to fight him. Once you're off the platform, you jump to the next one.
    i rmember how painful Molten Core LFR was. i cant imagine how bad this would have been as 9 entire fights.