Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm gonna be so gutted if they don't renew for TSK after this season ends.
    Subtle Knife was already confirmed before season one got its first teaser trailer (or when it only had a teaser). They already cast Will a while ago! Just waiting to see that season 3 for Amber Spyglass gets picked up =)

Edit: ah, just as I thought, they already finished shooting Subtle Knife.

Another edit: here's Will, if anyone is interested
    Last edited by Izalla; 2019-11-10 at 03:37 AM.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Another edit: here's Will, if anyone is interested
    No, no, that can't be right--He doesn't look anything like me!

PS: it's on now in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    You think they're gonna do a book a season? They're pretty dense books iirc.
    I would be surprised if they could fit an entire book in a season, provided they are following the exact storyline. The Golden Compass was god awful compared to the books, as it ditched so many aspects of the books.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how many religious entities start bitch posting, especially at the third book (forgive me if I'm wrong about this, it's been about 10+ years since I've read the books).
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    You think they're gonna do a book a season? They're pretty dense books iirc.
    If they pace the story properly, I can see two seasons per book. Season 1 ending with the Iorek's duel, season 2 ending with the end of the Golden Compass, Season 3 ending when Will gets the knife, and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    I would be surprised if they could fit an entire book in a season, provided they are following the exact storyline. The Golden Compass was god awful compared to the books, as it ditched so many aspects of the books.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how many religious entities start bitch posting, especially at the third book (forgive me if I'm wrong about this, it's been about 10+ years since I've read the books).
    IIRC AMC is currently airing an adaptation of Preacher, and it gets far worse with it's treatment of Christian figures. So far no backlash about THAT has reached my years.

10+ Year Old Account

They filmed seasons 1 and 2 back to back already, 16 episodes, covering the first two books. Apparently this was to get as much filming done with Lyra and Will at the proper ages before puberty starts making them look too old too fast. Book 2 picks up right where book 1 left off so they didn't want Lyra to suddenly look older than she should.

Not sure how that's going to work for Amber Spyglass, the audiobook of that threw me off the first time I heard it because Will's post-puberty voice kicked in from book 2 to book 3 and I thought it was an entirely different voice actor!
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    If they pace the story properly, I can see two seasons per book. Season 1 ending with the Iorek's duel, season 2 ending with the end of the Golden Compass, Season 3 ending when Will gets the knife, and so on.
    Iorek's fight is at the end of the book, right before they reach Asriel. The movie flipped Bolvangar and the bears, Bolvangar comes first.

8 hours for each book sounds like plenty of time to me, but I guess we'll see how it feels once we are further into the season.
    Last edited by Izalla; 2019-11-10 at 08:55 PM.
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read somewhere that TAS could be 2 seasons long. Hope so. Sometimes TV shows tend to rush a little on the exposition front.

Just saw tonight's episode and it was awesome. I was a bit surprised that they revealed things that you wouldn't normally know about until reading the 2nd book though, but since Pullman himself is on-board with the TV series' direction, I can only assume they've got it under control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iorek's fight is at the end of the book, right before they reach Asriel. The movie flipped Bolvangar and the bears, Bolvangar comes first.

8 hours for each book sounds like plenty of time to me, but I guess we'll see how it feels once we are further into the season.
    As underwhelming as the movie was, that change was for the better. It is much better pacing for Lyra and Iorek to ride out to Asriel directly after Bolvangar.

10+ Year Old Account
    As underwhelming as the movie was, that change was for the better. It is much better pacing for Lyra and Iorek to ride out to Asriel directly after Bolvangar.
    I'd rather they just stick to the books. It's a valid complaint but I'd prefer it the way Pullman wrote it.
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, season 4 wrapped at the end of September. There’s been outrage here and there, but the show has kinda been under the radar. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a7909781.html

Golden Compass caught shit because Pullman made headlines talking about how the trilogy was about killing god.
    Heh, if they thought the sex scene was bad, just wait until they see what the Saint gets up to.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather they just stick to the books. It's a valid complaint but I'd prefer it the way Pullman wrote it.
    This is also true. We already have the looser adaptation with the film, it wouldn't hurt to have this adaptation stick closer to the original. It would also be a reassuring sign that they aren't going to take too many liberties with future material.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realised why I wouldn't like that change. If they do the bears first, there's no reason for them not to bring the whole lot of them to Bolvangar to free the kids. If Iorek becomes king before they go to Bolvangar, they'd have to bring all the bears with them or it'd be a wasted resource and just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

This is also true. We already have the looser adaptation with the film, it wouldn't hurt to have this adaptation stick closer to the original. It would also be a reassuring sign that they aren't going to take too many liberties with future material.
    Yes, exactly!
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I would rather they do whatever will work better as a TV series. As long as it sticks to the core ideals of the books of course. Just because an adaptation is accurate doesn't make it good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either way don't worry. They worked closely with Pullman on this. He personally read the plot drafts and worked with them.

They're even taking opportunities to expand upon the books in cool ways, like the ventilation ducts in Coulter's apartment.
    And when I make my appearance in Season 2, your jaws will hit the floor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Read somewhere that TAS could be 2 seasons long. Hope so. Sometimes TV shows tend to rush a little on the exposition front.

Just saw tonight's episode and it was awesome. I was a bit surprised that they revealed things that you wouldn't normally know about until reading the 2nd book though, but since Pullman himself is on-board with the TV series' direction, I can only assume they've got it under control.
    Yeah on the one hand I'm a bit disappointed that Lord Boreal is so present and relevant because it spoils that season 2 reveal where Lyra didn't recognize him. But on the other hand I was squealing with joy when it showed him go through to our world. I will actually be pretty cranky though if they spoil the Stanislaus Grumman stuff before we even meet Will.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Dafne Keen is so perfect as Lyra, just innocently and casually lying about obviously false things then acting offended when she's called out on it. The movie didn't play that up enough.
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

They filmed seasons 1 and 2 back to back already, 16 episodes, covering the first two books. Apparently this was to get as much filming done with Lyra and Will at the proper ages before puberty starts making them look too old too fast. Book 2 picks up right where book 1 left off so they didn't want Lyra to suddenly look older than she should.

Not sure how that's going to work for Amber Spyglass, the audiobook of that threw me off the first time I heard it because Will's post-puberty voice kicked in from book 2 to book 3 and I thought it was an entirely different voice actor!
    That is definitely good to know! I didn't listen to the audio books, but that is definitely crazy! I know I cringed at the ring, so if the show is definitely following along with the books...omg, I'm going to cringe at the ring. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    That is definitely good to know! I didn't listen to the audio books, but that is definitely crazy! I know I cringed at the ring, so if the show is definitely following along with the books...omg, I'm going to cringe at the ring. >.<
    The audiobooks are actually really cool because it's the author narrating and unique voice actors for each role, and some things that are narrated in the text can just be acted out (like people laughing). It's like a radio drama with less sound effects, though it does have some of those too!
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

The audiobooks are actually really cool because it's the author narrating and unique voice actors for each role, and some things that are narrated in the text can just be acted out (like people laughing). It's like a radio drama with less sound effects, though it does have some of those too!
    That is pretty cool, I'll have to check that out. I have a few coins laying around still on audible.com

10+ Year Old Account
    That is pretty cool, I'll have to check that out. I have a few coins laying around still on audible.com
    I listen to a ton of audiobooks. The His Dark Materials full cast audiobook is easily one of the best I have ever heard. There is actually a company out there called Graphic Audio that does something similar and makes audiobooks with a full cast but they also add in music and sound effects and, at least for me, the audio mix always feels off. It's like the music and sound effects are too loud and it drowns out the dialog. The His Dark Materials one doesn't have that problem. It is mixed really well and perfectly understandable.

Highly recommend it.

Really enjoyed the books back when I read them in middle school. Very overlooked series. Didn't know this was happening so I'll have to find a way to check it out (don't have HBO).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Really enjoyed the books back when I read them in middle school. Very overlooked series. Didn't know this was happening so I'll have to find a way to check it out (don't have HBO).
    I'm the same. If ye happen to find any plunder on the high seas, be sure to let a fellow privateer in yer crew to split the booty.