Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Curiosity about gold owned by players

I'm looking for reasonable opinions about this: there was once a gold survey on the golden crusade website for the years 2013-2015, it's been closed now and even if it weren't, it'd be obviously seriously outdated, I'm wondering how gold is supposed to be distributed.

Example, I know of magicuz, a player that should be over 1 billion gold, if he's not the only one he must be one of the few around, they likely don't reach 2 digits, then there's definitely a handful of players with hundreds of millions, saying how many would be hard, then there's a fair amount with tens of millions and then the ones with a few millions which I already wonder how many they are, and then ofc the middle class with hundreds of thousands and the ones that are still poor no matter what gold sources there are.

But I'm wondering, what would be some realistic percentages for people's wealth?

Example was having a discussion with a friend of mine who has just over 3 mill and does NOT believe to be rich any more by wow's standards, while I would be surprised if over 10% of players had 3 mil, what do you think?

And then how many could have more than 10 mil, 1 mil, 100k, and how many under 100k?

It's all fake...so...why worry?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

The relevance of gold distribution was lost when the wow token was added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends honestly on what you do in game. Do you farm your own stuff and pay for your sub? Then 3 mil would be considered rich. If you're going for Transmog off BMAH and other stuff then 3mil is definitely not even close to rich

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    It's all fake...so...why worry?
    Just because it's not physical, it doesn't mean it's fake.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Just because it's not physical, it doesn't mean it's fake.
    It's fake because there aren't any necessities (food, clothing, shelter, utilities, etc.).

You can squat on 100k gold, and not need to buy anything, and you keep 100k gold for months (as I have). You can also have 300million gold and not need to buy anything, and keep 300million gold for months. Either one is fake, because there's no universal need to spend any of it.

Then there's also the endless production of gold out of thin air...
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    It's fake because there aren't any necessities (food, clothing, shelter, utilities, etc.).

You can squat on 100k gold, and not need to buy anything, and you keep 100k gold for months (as I have). You can also have 300million gold and not need to buy anything, and keep 300million gold for months. Either one is fake, because there's no universal need to spend any of it.

Then there's also the endless production of gold out of thin air...
    Just because it's less valuable than most real life currencies, doesn't mean it's fake either. The fact that there are things you can buy with it makes it as real as real can be.

Your weird boundries of what makes currency real (for example being able to buy 'necessities' with it) are pointless. You can use this argument if you want to claim that WoW's gold isn't worth much, but it doesn't work to dismiss it as fake.

Mmm, ofc 3 mil depends on what you use it for, it's the former case for my friend btw, however is there no way to determine more or less the percentages? Example there's websites that tell us that 2% of players have the AH mount roughly, spider is also around 2% but it's 1) not as useful and 2) gated behind a rare vendor, 40% by now have the tmog yak and the tundra mammoth, which would hint that if one has 20k by now he has 120k as well.

But I also know that just because someone can afford something it doesn't mean he will buy it, so these % need to be taken with a grain of salt, is there any logic way to determine how many have how much roughly?

Rich people like to downplay their wealth, and there are many good reasons to do so, to be honest. It may be to avoid getting hacked, it may be out of humility, or it may simply be to flex on people who have less than them.

The reality is you don't really need gold to play this game and enjoy like 90% of its content. If you don't do anything to amass wealth, which many people don't, you are probably around 20k-50k for most of the time. If you look at some threads and on-line discussions, most people can't even afford the 300k /600k in-game gold mounts, and claim they are pretty much real life money mounts because they require so crazy high amounts of money.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say that about 95% of the players don't have more than 100k gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Esploratore View Post
    however is there no way to determine more or less the percentages?
    Yes, there is no way to determine that. People's gold isn't trackable.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Rich people like to downplay their wealth, and there are many good reasons to do so, to be honest. It may be to avoid getting hacked, it may be out of humility, or it may simply be to flex on people who have less than them.

The reality is you don't really need gold to play this game and enjoy like 90% of its content. If you don't do anything to amass wealth, which many people don't, you are probably around 20k-50k for most of the time. If you look at some threads and on-line discussions, most people can't even afford the 300k /600k in-game gold mounts, and claim they are pretty much real life money mounts because they require so crazy high amounts of money.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say that about 95% of the players don't have more than 100k gold.

Yes, there is no way to determine that. People's gold isn't trackable.
    It's a shame we don't have any way to track that!

Anyway I agree with you more or less, my friend said she would be absolutely surprised if she fell into the 10% of the richest players with her 3,2 millions like I said and I have no doubts whatsoever, probably even into the top 5% or something, people are generally poor, I unfortunately don't have any decent proof, as having a certain gold mount doesn't mean you still have that gold.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The relevance of gold distribution was lost when the wow token was added.
    Not really. Anyone selling tokens will only have roughly one token's worth of gold to their name. After all, why would you sell 20 tokens, spending $400 in real money, just to keep extra gold in your bank? You sell tokens when you run out of gold, or need to buy something in particular, and then you spend that gold.

So when you think about it, it's very unlikely anyone with over 600k or so gold is spending real-world money.

10+ Year Old Account
    jeff bezos is the richest wow player even without playing he can have trillions of gold probably if he wanted, and his achievement is infinitely harder than any players in wow
    as for actual wow players, many will keep it for them so we can never know the normal gold amount
    and every player will have a different definition, some will have collected all mounts and will say that the gold spent is part of their wealth, others will say that the item they never managed to sell are like gold when in reality they might never sell it at the price they want, others will say that hearthstone collection is part of the wealth because they used bnet balance, ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean the most gold you can have is just about 500m having 50 toons gold capped. I have a solid 5k right now I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

It's a shame we don't have any way to track that!

Anyway I agree with you more or less, my friend said she would be absolutely surprised if she fell into the 10% of the richest players with her 3,2 millions like I said and I have no doubts whatsoever, probably even into the top 5% or something, people are generally poor, I unfortunately don't have any decent proof, as having a certain gold mount doesn't mean you still have that gold.
    It's pretty certain she's in the top 10% with more than 3M. People underestimate HOW casual the vast majority of players is.

I'm looking for reasonable opinions about this: there was once a gold survey on the golden crusade website for the years 2013-2015, it's been closed now and even if it weren't, it'd be obviously seriously outdated, I'm wondering how gold is supposed to be distributed.

Example, I know of magicuz, a player that should be over 1 billion gold, if he's not the only one he must be one of the few around, they likely don't reach 2 digits, then there's definitely a handful of players with hundreds of millions, saying how many would be hard, then there's a fair amount with tens of millions and then the ones with a few millions which I already wonder how many they are, and then ofc the middle class with hundreds of thousands and the ones that are still poor no matter what gold sources there are.

But I'm wondering, what would be some realistic percentages for people's wealth?

Example was having a discussion with a friend of mine who has just over 3 mill and does NOT believe to be rich any more by wow's standards, while I would be surprised if over 10% of players had 3 mil, what do you think?

And then how many could have more than 10 mil, 1 mil, 100k, and how many under 100k?
    Why would there be so many players with millions of gold? I earned millions of gold in the game, maybe 20-30 million since the start of Legion, but I spend it all on tokens. I have 260000 gold right now.

WoD and Legion gave away tons of gold for free, multiplied by the number of max-level characters on your account. I never bought tokens because I don't care about the fifteen bucks, so I still have a ton of gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been poor from vanilla to BFA. No matter what I do, there is always so much to buy that it drains me in no time. I could spend 100mil and still need more for all the stuff I want.

AND I sell 1 game token every month, which I spend fast. Pretty much always on like 50k gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I have been poor from vanilla to BFA. No matter what I do, there is always so much to buy that it drains me in no time. I could spend 100mil and still need more for all the stuff I want.

AND I sell 1 game token every month, which I spend fast. Pretty much always on like 50k gold.
    Gotta make gold to spend gold. That is true in life and in wow.

Just stop spending. I know that I just need to make 25k a day on my AH play and suddenly it grows a lot each month...A little bit every day.

Edit; Honestly if it wasent for some gold carries and mounts you would never be able to spend even just 10 million gold. But yes...sadly mounts will ruin you...I still dont, and prolly never will, buy 1 TCG mount.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm sitting at roughly 30M liquid gold across all my characters at the moment and I've been farming gold since the start of Legion.
    According to 2 of my bank alts I've made 40M in Legion and 25M in BfA so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    I mean the most gold you can have is just about 500m having 50 toons gold capped. I have a solid 5k right now I think.
    You can also have 50 guild banks capped if you wanted, not to mention the fact that you can store infinite amounts of gold in the mail system by bouncing it between chars, or just storing it in assets.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..