Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The less humans the better. To many folks who want to control the lives, actions, and thoughts of others in the big cities and even small towns.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther
    2 million people are still 2 million people no matter where they are.
    As a raw number? Sure. But when it gets to things like percentages?

Probably by next year I'm planning on stepping back to someplace around maybe 2 million, and that would be less than a tenth of where I am now. Just going to see Cupcake (my surgeon) is two hours, one way, on the subway, and about another 20 minutes by car.

Years ago, I lived in a "small town" ... it only had 4 million people. Two million, sounds like such luxury right now. I haven't lived in a place that small for 20 years, and that was a resort. People apologized for the lack of amenities.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I never said it wouldn't happen in a city but I bet you it happens less often

Pure fiction because you never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Part of it is being more south, northern people tend to be less open and friendly.
    Ah south being open and friendly meanwhile rife with homophobia and racism? I mean I’m just the wrong colour and sexuality to get that good old southern hospitality in Durham.

That ol fake hospitality.

One of the things every friend and family member from England has said about America when they visit is how fake they are. They especially hated how fake the south was.

My aunt found people in New York to be overly nice but when she went to the south my lord... it’s like my friends mother who is fake nice to me yet calls me slurs behind my back. Yummy fake southern hospitality.

Also let’s not forget where southern hospitality came from.
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-11-11 at 02:24 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I hate crowds and traffic and have always preferred small towns/rural areas.

I live within about a 2-hour drive of a big city (Atlanta), but avoid it as much as possible and only go there when absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I hate crowds and traffic and have always preferred small towns/rural areas.

I live within about a 2-hour drive of a big city (Atlanta), but avoid it as much as possible and only go there when absolutely necessary.
    Cities aren’t always crowded with traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Ah south being open and friendly meanwhile rife with homophobia and racism? I mean I’m just the wrong colour and sexuality to get that good old southern hospitality in Durham.

That ol fake hospitality.

One of the things every friend and family member from England has said about America when they visit is how fake they are. They especially hated how fake the south was.

My aunt found people in New York to be overly nice but when she went to the south my lord... it’s like my friends mother who is fake nice to me yet calls me slurs behind my back. Yummy fake southern hospitality.

Also let’s not forget where southern hospitality came from.
    That's a stereotype born of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    which do u prefer? big city or small town?

i think i prefer big city...
    I prefer to live just outside a medium-size city of around a million people at most.

That’s not a stereotype. You simply lack historical context knowledge to attribute it. Also my experiences with my friends family in NC is very real.

Southern hospitality came about in the 1800s as a phrase defending the south from northern anti slave mentality. This came from the movement down there leading to a quasi aristocracy slave class from about the 17th century and on.

Some of the major politicians who fought for slave expansion including taking over possibly Latin America from the Spanish to grow slave states said as much. Their way of life was one of refinement and manners. Like aristocracy. They viewed the northern people as rude, crude, and uncultured. While they sat in their mansions, abusing slaves... they went as far to say their slaves were better off than whites people driving a bigger divide between pope whites and slaves.
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-11-11 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That’s not a stereotype. You simply lack historical context knowledge to attribute it. Also my experiences with my friends family in NC is very real.

Southern hospitality came about in the 1800s as a phrase defending the south from northern anti slave mentality. This came from the movement down there leading to a quasi aristocracy slave class from about the 17th century and on.

Some of the major politicians who fought for slave expansion including taking over possibly Latin America from the Spanish to grow slave states said as much. Their way of life was one of refinement and manners. Like aristocracy. They viewed the northern people as rude, crude, and uncultured. While they sat in their mansions, abusing slaves... they went as far to say their slaves were better off than whites people driving a bigger divide between pope whites and slaves.
    We're talking about today's time, I wish you would stop going into forbidden topics on every thread you're in.

Small, preferably beach town. I lived in Dallas for 10 years and, while it's not a bad place, it definitely taught me I am not a city person. The only downside since I moved is places like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. are special trips now whereas in Dallas there was one every 2 miles or so.
    Last edited by Lane; 2019-11-11 at 06:14 PM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The same goes for your generalization of life in big cities.

My sister live in SF. When my brother-in-law passed away in 2014, she did not have to cook for 6 months. He neighbors took turn delivering food every day. Not all homecooked. Some came courtesy of Doordash. Which actually made her smile.

My nephew and a bunch of kids on my sister’s street graduated this year. The neighbors got a permit to close the street and had about a dozen food trucks lined up the street for the graduation party. It was rather funny. By 6 pm all the kids had left for their respective parties, and the parents were all that’s left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on where in Canada lived in Winnipeg a few years or just outside 80.000 seemed just about right, in Minneapolis about half a million people seemed a bit too much. Anything more than that is a no for me.

I don't want a place too small, I've seen too many movies, J.K
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Depends on where in Canada lived in Winnipeg a few years or just outside 80.000 seemed just about right, in Minneapolis about half a million people seemed a bit too much. Anything more than that is a no for me.

I don't want a place too small, I've seen too many movies, J.K
    To give you an idea how remote we are, this is a view from my wife's favorite spot in our house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    To give you an idea how remote we are, this is a view from my wife's favorite spot in our house.

Very beautiful, I'd wonder about sustainability though if you are too remote without solar or back up generators, but otherwise very beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Very beautiful, I'd wonder about sustainability though if you are too remote without solar or back up generators, but otherwise very beautiful.
    We do have solar and propane powered back up generator. Normally we have enough propane to last 14 days. It fluctuates a bit because we use the propane for cooking and water heating also.

We're talking about today's time, I wish you would stop going into forbidden topics on every thread you're in.
    Wait so you think history literally doesn’t matter in forming a culture? The fuck?!

Small, the less humans the better.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    We do have solar and propane powered back up generator. Normally we have enough propane to last 14 days. It fluctuates a bit because we use the propane for cooking and water heating also.
    Yeah I am going to be retiring here this next year doing a lot of planning using solar power and living remote, beautiful view once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    This sounds made up.....

Am I doing it right?

On topic, definitely advantages and disadvantages to both, but I prefer small town living over city life.
    It isn’t made up... one of the founders of the whigs is whom I’m referring to btw. And when America anexxed Texas the southern parties were pushing the idea of taking Cuba from a weak Spain and taking over the rest of South America and expanding slavery which would take away the power of the abolitionist.

Calhoun is who I am referring to.

Southern hospitality and the rise of a southern aristocracy were both issues brought up back then. Southern hospitality came about first as a way for southerners to explain their refined and polite way of life casting the northern abolitionist as rude peasants more or less. The rise of southern aristocracy was a cause of concern back then since the feeling was a return to old European ways especially when you factor in white indentured servants who functioned like serfs.

I could also provide papers and opinions of the time and what cultural anthropologist found out looking at the history.

That is nothing like “random people wave at you in small towns because they’re friendly!”

What do you prefer about small towns?
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-11-11 at 06:12 PM.

I like my 300k Metropolis, its rents less so.

Might soon move less than 1h away in a 5k City in search of more space/cheaper rents and schools a few hundred meters from home.

I find larger entities interesting to visit, but too oppressive to live in. Probably 1-2 millions would be my limit, but I'd need to perceive a structuring landscape (surrounding mountains, shores).
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2019-11-11 at 06:32 PM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"