Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do people care so much about hype?

I don't understand all the hype about new releases and new classes/specs/races/whatever. Why do people care so much about things they can't control? Why don't they just wait to digest what Blizzard has to serve? It's not like our voices are heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I don't understand all the hype about new releases and new classes/specs/races/whatever. Why do people care so much about things they can't control? Why don't they just wait to digest what Blizzard has to serve? It's not like our voices are heard?
    Some folks get excited by pro sports. some folks get excited about college games. each to their own

10+ Year Old Account
    People like having something to look forward to.

being excited about something is... exciting. it means you care about something, instead of merely appreciate it.

i wish i could still get excited about blizz anouncements, but i've been playing their stuff so long i can see right through it.

Not sure I agree. If anything Shadowlands is an expansion thus far dedicated to addressing feedback around class identity, alts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Not sure I agree. If anything Shadowlands is an expansion thus far dedicated to addressing feedback around class identity, alts, etc.
    Hmm, sounds like a patch.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Hype is like hope. You can't have fun without hype and you can't live without hope.

Psychological manipulation is why the businesses do it. It's a well known statistic that if you can get someone to buy up front, they're less likely to refund, even if you later change what you actually deliver.

From the customer perspective, it's getting excited about something. It's a lot of fun, especially if you're involved in a social circle that cares about the same things you do. That emotional and social echo than bounces around between friends beats the hell out of being depressed or bored with normal life.

There's nothing wrong with getting hyped or excited about something. As long as you don't get carried away, and your expectations are tempered by rational thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    You can't have fun without hype.
    Yeah...that's not true at all. You can absolutely have fun without hype. I've personally, on many occasions, been pretty pessimistic about a planned event or gathering, only to actually have a lot of fun once I get there.

It's not like our voices are heard?
    Is that a question?

It's probably kind of like how you're trying to impact something you have no logical reason to think you could affect to the slightest degree. Humans are emotional the often lack an intelligent justification for the things they say and do.

The hype bandwagon. One player QQ's about something. then others join in and next thing you know..it's a huge group of ppl QQ'ing. :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    EDIT: Also, people confuse 'Blizzard doesn't do what I want!' with 'Blizzard never listens'. Game is too big and too spread out to do what person X wants in every instance. If Blizzard doesn't do what you want, you can adapt, go find another game, or, of course, whine on the forums incessantly. The third is a pretty popular thing here.
    I wish I could upvote this comment.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Hype is like hope. You can't have fun without hype and you can't live without hope.
    Both of those things are so patently untrue that I have to assume you were being sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Because that's the very definition of hype. Something that nobody cares for can rarely be considered a hype. That's like asking why so many people find fire to be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    They think they *should* be the CEOs, and, of course, anyone can take a game design course, and many of them think they are experts...

Armchair CEOs and amateur game designers are a plague on WoW and other games, basically.

Really, we're consumers. We can buy/play the game...or not. That's the only real choice we have.

EDIT: Also, people confuse 'Blizzard doesn't do what I want!' with 'Blizzard never listens'. Game is too big and too spread out to do what person X wants in every instance. If Blizzard doesn't do what you want, you can adapt, go find another game, or, of course, whine on the forums incessantly. The third is a pretty popular thing here.
    you say this like CEOs actually do anything besides sit there being labor exploiting parasites

no, hype is an artificial construction designed to get you to consume/spend
    Last edited by gd8; 2019-11-12 at 12:51 AM.

Yo I'm hype about the 3990x

AMD’s Flagship Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64 Core & 128 Thread Monster CPU Leaks Out Accidentally By MSI

Just pumped about what I'm going to get is all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Both of those things are so patently untrue that I have to assume you were being sarcastic.
    I sure was!

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    Hmm, sounds like a patch.

right on. I'm not defending blizzard for fixing things outright in an expansion versus a patch but their overhauling the level experience completely which is easily done via an expansion as a new starting point versus pushing out a ''patch'' to do this. I'm happy shadowlands is bringing back a ton of QOL fixes and class identity which is sorely needed. I'm taking a break the rest of BFA and ill be back for shadowlands most definitely.

I get excited about announcements I like. It's simple as that. That's why I am hyped about new expansion becasue it seems to have a lot of stuff I like.

"Why do people care so much about having fun?"

There are stupid questions, and then there is this.