Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    • Regarding his third point about the "graphics", they aren't terrible. They are okay. The problem is that people expect higher fidelity from what they perceive to be a console title. The comparison with DQXI is pretty disingenuous as well, given that game is going for a completely different artstyle with a more realistically proportioned world and characters. As much as I've railed on GameFreak for not putting their resources to good use, I've always thought that people clamoring for BotW style "graphics"/artstyle were delusional. LGPE looks fantastic, the main difference being the lighting.
    • Similarly, the "bad animations" comment is pretty disingenuous as well. The animations are fine, no different than from how they've been handled since the first ever 3D Pokemon game, Pokemon Stadium. Key framed animation is an incredibly laborious task. It has always been economical, and most importantly, practical, to have Pokemon stand in place on their side of the battlefield and use their animation, rather than trying any sort of fancy, kinetic, choreographed fighting where the Pokemon actually make contact with each other through kinematics. That would be a herculean task requiring a large programming and art team set aside for this sole purpose alone, though the results could make for the most awesome Pokemon fighting ever.

Agreed on everything else though, especially on the $20 increase for an objectively inferior product to previous Pokemon games, which only costed $40.

Can't wait for gaming journalists to give it a 7/10 anyway.

Praying SwSh sales tank. I know it won't, because 9 times out of 10 casuals don't care/aren't clued into what the "vocal minority" is saying and will buy it anyways, but I want to believe that there is some hope for this franchise. It's been going downhill for six years...

This franchise deserves better.

You deserve better.
    Man, this is applicable to so many franchises and fandoms right now, it's not even funny.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-11-12 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    • Regarding his third point about the "graphics", they aren't terrible. They are okay. The problem is that people expect higher fidelity from what they perceive to be a console title. The comparison with DQXI is pretty disingenuous as well, given that game is going for a completely different artstyle with a more realistically proportioned world and characters. As much as I've railed on GameFreak for not putting their resources to good use, I've always thought that people clamoring for BotW style "graphics"/artstyle were delusional. LGPE looks fantastic, the main difference being the lighting.
    • Similarly, the "bad animations" comment is pretty disingenuous as well. The animations are fine, no different than from how they've been handled since the first ever 3D Pokemon game, Pokemon Stadium. Key framed animation is an incredibly laborious task. It has always been economical, and most importantly, practical, to have Pokemon stand in place on their side of the battlefield and use their animation, rather than trying any sort of fancy, kinetic, choreographed fighting where the Pokemon actually make contact with each other through kinematics. That would be a herculean task requiring a large programming and art team set aside for this sole purpose alone, though the results could make for the most awesome Pokemon fighting ever.

Agreed on everything else though, especially on the $20 increase for an objectively inferior product to previous Pokemon games, which only costed $40.

Can't wait for gaming journalists to give it a 7/10 anyway.

Praying SwSh sales tank. I know it won't, because 9 times out of 10 casuals don't care/aren't clued into what the "vocal minority" is saying and will buy it anyways, but I want to believe that there is some hope for this franchise. It's been going downhill for six years...

Man, this is applicable to so many franchises and fandoms right now, it's not even funny.
    I think Dragon Quest is pretty good point of comparison. Both are going for similar anime-esque cell shaded graphics. Biggest difference is the character desings, since Toriyama and Sugimori/Pokémon style are just that different.

As for animations: it is under extra scrutiny after they justified cutting 500 Pokémon because they wanted to do better animations. Just recycling the 3DS aninations shouldn't be acceptable at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    As for animations: it is under extra scrutiny after they justified cutting 500 Pokémon because they wanted to do better animations. Just recycling the 3DS aninations shouldn't be acceptable at that point.
    This. Had they not used that as an excuse, no one would have pointed fingers at animations. They're standard for a Pokemon game, that's how they've always been. Most didn't care about lackluster animations between XY and USUM. But they had to use "better animations" as one of the excuses for the dex cut, putting it under spotlight as a bullshit excuse.

Poor Blastoise. Finally gets Shell Smash, but its Mega is gone, and we don't even know if he'll be obtainable at all despite being in the game data. This is a bunch of monkey paw shit.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2019-11-12 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no words to describe this mess...

I did end up acknowledging that from a long term perspective it does make sense to not spend most of the development time on porting every single mon over, at some point after a certain dex size its just not reasonable if you want to keep the current development cycle. But apparently those "saved" resources have been fucking thrown on a dumpster fire. It's not terribly surprising but still terribly disappointing and a disservice to fans, old AND new.

Whats hilarious is that at this point, the game actually looks pretty damn shit and a stay away even if it had the full dex. I honestly think its that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    Whats hilarious is that at this point, the game actually looks pretty damn shit and a stay away even if it had the full dex. I honestly think its that bad
    That is the biggest, most important part of all of this. The culling of the mons is only a part of how bad this is. There are no words, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    That is the biggest, most important part of all of this. The culling of the mons is only a part of how bad this is. There are no words, honestly.
    Gamefreak now doesnt have any excuse to patch the game now, since its on switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese Bootlickers View Post
    WHY.JPG
    Oh dear ...

10+ Year Old Account
    WHY.JPG
    You're kidding.
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Gamefreak now doesnt have any excuse to patch the game now, since its on switch.
    Their excuse for not patching is that they are Game Freak, and they never do such things!

10+ Year Old Account
    By the way, you need an in-game item to unlock volume controls for the game's sound, unless I'm understanding the item's description wrong.

WHY.JPG
    OH MY GOD. Literally the entire world freezes when you use the stairs. WTF is this? A graduate's final bachelor project? This is not real.

Chelly
    Is this the Fallout 76 of Pokémon?

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    OH MY GOD. Literally the entire world freezes when you use the stairs. WTF is this? A graduate's final bachelor project? This is not real.
    They're just a Small Indie Company™, we gotta cut them some slack.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Is this the Fallout 76 of Pokémon?
    I saw comparisons to Fallout 4 earlier.

So Fallout 76 of Pokémon is coming next year.

So this is the power of giga-dyna-former whatever it's called...

Nothing rageworthy, just a mon getting STABbed to death by something it's 4x weak to, just the sheer scale of it lol

10+ Year Old Account
    So in other words, they are just buying time.

10+ Year Old Account
    “A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.” -Shigeru Miyamoto. If that's truly the case, then delay the game.