Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Is P2/P3 the Worst time to Start playing Classic?

I was apart of the massive waves of people who started playing Classic the first couple of days it launched. Alas, I stopped a couple of weeks later in the high 20's.

Now that the "rush to 60" is dying down phase 2 is on the horizon, is this a good time to actually to play Classic? As if starting fresh?

Or is it the worst time? I'm coming from a pure leveling perspective. Do you think there will be less people leveling out in the world (quests, elite quests) and getting dungeon groups together when phase 2 hits?

5+ Year Old Account
    P2->P3 will be the worst time in level in open world because honor system has been implemented but not BGs yet so people will be looking for HKs in the open world instead of afk-queueing in Cities for BGs in later patches.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    P2->P3 will be the worst time in level in open world because honor system has been implemented but not BGs yet so people will be looking for HKs in the open world instead of afk-queueing in Cities for BGs in later patches.
    Yeah I figured that as well. I could imagine more people will try to level purely through dungeon groups rather questing in the world. Perhaps I need to roll a tank or healer.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I was apart of the massive waves of people who started playing Classic the first couple of days it launched. Alas, I stopped a couple of weeks later in the high 20's.

Now that the "rush to 60" is dying down phase 2 is on the horizon, is this a good time to actually to play Classic? As if starting fresh?

Or is it the worst time? I'm coming from a pure leveling perspective. Do you think there will be less people leveling out in the world (quests, elite quests) and getting dungeon groups together when phase 2 hits?
    pvp servers are the only places you have to worry about bored gankers.

just fyi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    pvp servers are the only places you have to worry about bored gankers.

just fyi
    Well yeah, true. And I plan on playing on a PvP server as well.

Now I'm not complaining about the aspect of being ganked or camped. I don't care about that personally.

Just wonder if that will directly effect people questing in the world by a large margin. And if that adds to the whole point of being a bad idea to start playing Classic in either phase 2 or 3.

Yeah I figured that as well. I could imagine more people will try to level purely through dungeon groups rather questing in the world. Perhaps I need to roll a tank or healer.
    or a mage
    /10chars
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Just wonder if that will directly effect people questing in the world by a large margin.
    Thats an impossible question to answer for two reasons; How one might define "large margin" is open for interpretation, and no one can say concretely that p2/3 it will have a direct, negative effect to leveling, disproportionately to p1.

It depends on community and the quality of players in the zone or on the horn.

I'm on Grobbulus. A couple of weeks ago I was beside myself in Badlands because it seemed like the only ones in earshot were PVE'rs who silently resented an interruption in bear-butt collection or Uldaman queuing. Just useless.

Contrast that with Feralas this week, where one report of ganking gets the board to light up. I joined a posse Monday night, slapping the other faction around for an hour or so. I've actually felt like people have my back without a guild crutch.

Not sure what it is -- whether I got passed by a wave of jabronis who picked the wrong server, or if certain zones encourage certain behaviors -- but I'm a lot more hopeful now that I'll have backup as I hit the 50s.

It will be the best of times. It will be the worst of times.

Leveling up overall will be much easier compared to the launch period. That said, I’d avoid black rock mountain and tarren mill

Anything that can be turned into a glorified battleground, will.

But that means wherever the focus isn’t on will be nice and empty

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Thats an impossible question to answer for two reasons; How one might define "large margin" is open for interpretation, and no one can say concretely that p2/3 it will have a direct, negative effect to leveling, disproportionately to p1.
    Dishonor is still a thing so phase 1 will forever remain the worst in terms of leveling up.

He won’t have to fight 10 same faction and rival faction players every quest.

10+ Year Old Account

Double edged sword. I'm currently leveling,started on Thursday last week and am 21 atm. The spawns are abundant! There is very little competition for kills out there. However with the Honor System coming tomorrow, I do expect to see a whole lot of ganking going on. So, yeah, it is super easy to level right now, but you may have to be cautious and stay off the roads.

If you do jump in, I suggest making sure you end up in a guild who is willing to help you if you are getting ganked. The one i'm in will send out a hit squad if it is causing people trouble while leveling.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worst time mustve been the launch, way too many people stealin all your tags.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, true. And I plan on playing on a PvP server as well.
    I'm on Netherwind, and we have a really good faction ratio. Just fyi if you are deciding which server to join.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    It will be the best of times. It will be the worst of times.
    What about the blurst of times?

LOL this is the best way to level anyway, Most have done this since Release.

I think you can still level in outdoors.

But you should at least avoid hotspot zones such as Hillsbrad, STV, Searing Gorge etc.

I doubt you'll be running into a lot of Alliance if you quest in Desolace or Stonetalon (same goes for Alliance in Zones like Loch Modan, Duskwood, etc.)
    No one will "farm" honor there, at best, they're just there to gank lowbies, which they could already do even without the honor system.

Obviously, gets more difficult once you reach higher levels, but still, in a few weeks, after the initial rush, that will die down outside of those hotspot zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just avoid STV, Hillsbrad, and be careful in Duskwood if you're worried about getting ganked.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

It's not a bad time to start leveling....

But 49-60 will be hell. And maybe lower too depending on how the honor works out with lowbies. But up to 30 should be ez pz no real difference

The phrase "is game event/patch/time good/bad to return/comeback/start" has been asked thousands of times over the last decade for both retail and classic.

Just play or don't. You can't go back in time and start playing, and there's never any reason to wait. If you're on the fence, find a less flimsy way to make the decision.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2019-11-13 at 09:48 PM.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

As an Alliance in one of the many Horde dominated servers, 48-50 had me running to my corpse every 3 mobs. I wasn't even getting corpse camped; it was always a different person. In fact, only about half the players would stop to kill me and I still couldn't play 5 minutes uninterrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Worst time mustve been the launch, way too many people stealin all your tags.
    Some downside for sure, but that is a once in the life cycle of a game type event. Something most wouldn't have experienced before and wont again. No other time will everyone be starting from scratch in such masses and in 1 of 3 areas per faction. That madness is the only reason I made a character.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."