Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    WHOA, Gaetz is a Floridaman. He's from Hollywood, just the one on the other end of the country from CA's.

He's gone now, but you could add Dana Rohrabacher to that list too. And even as someone in CA, I haven't the foggiest clue. Maybe it's their attempt to balance out the state by electing fucking nutters for the few seats they can?
    Yeah, you're right. Forgot Gaetz was Floridaman since he is just dumb enough to be a Republican from California, but isn't.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1194659763965038592

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ow-is-horribly

Seems there may some coordination in responses, because it's interesting that both Eric Trump, who surprisingly isn't the dumbest son, and press secretary Stephanie Grisham both made it a point to call the hearings "boring".

Someone should probably tell them that they're not supposed to be entertaining, nor should they be. This is a serious matter.

More specific to the hearings, was anyone else confused with all the bullshit Republicans discussed that has no basis in reality? Don't worry, you're not alone. Most of us don't deep dive into right wing Facebook conspiracy theories, so it's understandable.

Buzzfeed has a good article explaining some of the insanity - https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ne?%3Fbftw=pol
    They're called talking points. Repubs are famous for this. Here's a very good example of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yep. They didn’t really try to discredit anything that was said with regards to quid pro quo, just asked if the witnesses could understand why the President would have a political interest in the things he was asking about.
    Hopefully the democrats will hop right on this.

They're controlling the show, and the republicans have nothing but an extremely tired and predictable strategy; one that democrats should be able to head off.

As I've said before, when Trump's nonsense begins to make the republicans look bad (or, more accurately, even worse,) they'll begin to crack in their support of him. And being put up before all the nation to act like a bunch of performing monkeys in defense of the cheeto-in-chief with tired talking points the democrats shut down on the spot... repeatedly... is probably not something they relish. They can and should be "raked over the coals" for their support of him, and feel every burn along the way.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

With the amount of times Republicans screamed about hearsay today I feel it's necessary to point out that hearsay is literally every statement that's made outside of court.

Trump could on live TV admit that he tried to bribe Ukraine to investigate Biden and guess what that would be? Hearsay.

That's why there's a huge list of hearsay exceptions. Screaming hearsay over and over means literally nothing. It's a weak ass defense.

Also, I loved Fox's news' "If you think Trump is bad then you should impeach FDR!"
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2019-11-14 at 02:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it very telling that the usual suspects around here have not cropped up in an attempt to gloat about the Republican's "solid rebuke of the Democrat's sham of a hearing" or whatever.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I find it very telling that the usual suspects around here have not cropped up in an attempt to gloat about the Republican's "solid rebuke of the Democrat's sham of a hearing" or whatever.
    They're waiting for their talking points memo to be emailed out to Democrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    "boring".
    That's a TV game show President, right there. "I'm innocent because all the facts and evidence are boring."

I'm sure they will be in here any moment regurgitating what ever the party line is, once the republicans find one that is.

I literally have been busy all day till about 20 minutes ago. I will HOPEFULLY be able to watch a recording off it tomorrow, but let me guess, it was damning as all holy hell?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    I'm sure they will be in here any moment regurgitating what ever the party line is, once the republicans find one that is.
    And by that time the Democrats will have smashed them with something entirely new and different. Look at them still trying to attack "the whistleblower." Sulla was doing it up until like... two days ago, when the Whistleblower's identity hasn't been material for weeks and weeks and weeks. They have no recourse to the "his report was corroborated by numerous other individuals."

The thing that gets me is... they don't have to do this. No one is believing them. They're supporting a man that they know is a failure, and they're just digging themselves deeper and deeper in support of him. They aren't getting anything from it. They aren't getting anything from Trump, and it's not like Trump cares about them. Hell, he's just making them look like total morons.

It's like they believe they're the preachers of some strange, malignant deity, proclaiming his edicts and trying to drown out "the heretics" as if he were going to grant them a place in his twisted heaven.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Why are the few Republicans from California in congress at the top of the shittiest Congressmen list? Gaetz, Nunes, McCarthy, just why?
    Because the only Republicans that win election in California are the shitty, Cliven Bundy rancher type or the rich, douchewaffle Charlie Kirk style of conservatives.

That's the funny part about all of this. The conservatives are never in here discussing this stuff as it happens. There's always an hours-long lag before they show up, right in time with the new wave of talking points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    That's the funny part about all of this. The conservatives are never in here discussing this stuff as it happens. There's always an hours-long lag before they show up, right in time with the new wave of talking points.
    Maybe they're just turning a blind eye to this whole impeachment fiasco...like Jim Jordan did with the sexual abuse.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Because the only Republicans that win election in California are the shitty, Cliven Bundy rancher type or the rich, douchewaffle Charlie Kirk style of conservatives.
    The former group presides over the California counties that are the equivalents of flyover states, while the latter group that usually preside over the rich WASP counties and are swiftly vanishing as their own demographic turns against them (Like Orange County.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I don't think they're paying enough attention to form their own opinions on the matter. They need a soundbite some tool on Fox News barks out to run on.

Then, when that point of nonsense has been shot down, they'll either slink away or stay for a few more pages trying to blame Biden or Hillary for something.

Then rinse and repeat for the next bombshell to drop on Trump.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Half of them are banned for being--well..."themselves". The other half are waiting for people ostensibly smarter than Trump to interpret the events in a way that can be palatable to people that support Trump. These things take time.

But dollars to donuts when they DO show up it'll be to regurgitate something Nunes or Jordan said during the hearing today because they will have been led to think it was a plus.

Absolutely none of what happened during today's hearing was a plus for the GOP or Trump or his supporters, but that won't stop them from claiming it was. Hell, Twitter is already littered with people claiming Jim Jordan Jameson destroyed the Democrats--which is obvious evidence that they 1) didn't watch the hearing or 2) have accepted another alternate reality.

EDIT: Oh, also, in before "well we REAL Americans have JOBS so we COULDN'T watch it Live like you liberal etc. etc. etc...." is used as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    They're called talking points. Repubs are famous for this. Here's a very good example of it.

This is one of the most frightening things that almost no one talks about. One man owns, I believe, around 40-45% of all local news stations in the entire U.S. where they must broadcast stories he approves. So this man is basically crafting narratives at the local level to what he wants them to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    This is one of the most frightening things that almost no one talks about. One man owns, I believe, around 40-45% of all local news stations in the entire U.S. where they must broadcast stories he approves. So this man is basically crafting narratives at the local level to what he wants them to be.
    Yes. Between Sinclair and Murdoch they control a majority of the news. But you know media has a liberal bias right?

Did this entire day really go off without a single Trump defender coming in to, ya know, defend him? Not like it would have gone well, and I know they’ll be here tomorrow, but that’s just incredible.

The Democrat is just starting. We have Yovanovitch on Friday. Then eight more next week. Transcript wise from the closed hearings we still have not seen testimonies from Anderson, Cooper, Croft, Hale, Morrison, Reeker and Williams.

I will say this, one part of the story does seem a little weird to me.

In Ambassador Taylors testimony, he said one of his staff members overheard Ambassador Sundlands talk with Trump in a Cafe. He could understand what the other party was saying on the phone... in a cafe? That sounds... weird. Unless Sundland accidentally had his phone on speaker. Schiff pries into this, too.