Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Arthas deserves every bit of torment, what a boring character.

/runsawayfromthecrowd

Anduin: I'm going to forgive Arthas and get him resurrected as a Lightforged.
    Ghost Uther: You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Anduin!
    Anduin: Jaina?
    Jaina: I'm sorry Anduin, I can't watch you do this...

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    Anduin: I'm going to forgive Arthas and get him resurrected as a Lightforged.
    Ghost Uther: You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Anduin!
    Anduin: Jaina?
    Jaina: I'm sorry Anduin, I can't watch you do this...
    You know that won't happen...they will ask for forgiveness due to still holding grudges and that Anduin made the right choice.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Back when the Shadowlands was simply called ''Hell'', good times

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    everything he did, he did for the greater good. even once he was lich king, he still had greater good intentions.

strong men make the hard decisions that save lives. arthas was strong, but undeath and corruption twisted his reasoning.

You realize that road to Shadowlands is paved with good intentions, right?

Having good intentions isn't the answer for every villain can justify his/her actions and deeds with "good intentions".

Sargeras' good intention was to cleanse all life so corruption couldn't corrupt it and die off due to starvation so galaxy could be re-seeded with new life.
    Illidan's good intentions was to use demonic powers against Burning Legion, which in our original time line costed his life.
    Garrosh's good intentions was to make Horde strong again (sounds familiar) so he ruled with tough hand which resulted in mutilated Pandaria and Draenor massacre of orcs.
    Sylvanas's good intentions was to grant Forsaken as a people some future and not to just die off.

And finally Arthas - he wanted good and personally, I find his decision about Stratholme strategically correct. Back then idealistic fools like Uther and Jaina were wrong, for their ideals and morals would cause more harm than good (sparing innocent vs letting infected run away and make Stratholme 2.0 elsewhere). What Arthas did wrong was following rumor about weapon of unimaginable power (Frostmourne) that ultimately corrupted him and turned into Lich King.

Despiter him being strong (Stratholme decisoin) he was weak to seek shortcuts. In the end it doesn't matter how man starts but how he ends. Victors write the history and judge past actions. If he succeeded he'd be major savior and hero and past actions (even Stratholme) would be excused. Since he had fallen he was deemed a villan who had to be stopped.

Sad but true.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if he's gonna come back to the living and/or reunite with Jaina.

Arthas gave all he had for lordaeron until he got corrupted by the most powerful corrupting artefact on azeroth.
    Unlike Uther who prefered to keep his title and his hands clean above the safety of lordaeron and its people. If one should be punished, it should be Uther.
    Arthas was just a young boy who wanted to save his lands and his people. And got betrayed by his mentor.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2019-11-14 at 11:58 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    People in here love trying to redeem literal tyrants
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I want him to come back as a proper antagonist or anti-villain that we must team up for need. He need to finish off for good his wretched family(Calia) and exterminate the remmains of the humans of lordaeron and elfies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

idk. i still don't think arthas deserves to be in the maw, and i hope there's a redemption arc.
    I agree with you here. Arthas is a very tragic character. His motives were pure, and he was slowly and deliberately twisted in his actions and thinking until the moment he was actually possessed. I still think he was the best written villian so far.

I assume the denizens of Shadowlands are not very pleased with Arthas fucking up their whole ecosystem, right? They probably prepared something really bad for him

NO MORE Redemption arcs, not sylvanas not arthas blizzard redemption arcs always turn out a joke story written by a 12 year old. If every big bad choice in the story deserves a redemption arch you make those bad moments lose value.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Uther's last words as a real, live, living person.

Given we are now going to the actual afterlife and visiting said hell, I feel there has to be a deliberate callback to this moment. Preferably with Uther having accompanied us as our Covenant bodyguard.

Where he can reference it upon our inevitable discovery of that special place in the the Maw (aka Hell) Arthas is currently suffering in.

And gloat just a teensy bit.
    How about

https://youtu.be/qAIrj_Vqdfc?t=22

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Please no, don't let Danuser/Golden/Afrasiabi (or whoever is writing this crap) put their filthy paws on one of the most iconic moments of the entire franchise.
    Considering Golden literally wrote the book on Arthas with this scene in it... your pleas come a few years too late. For double enjoyment get the audio book and listen to Golden herself read it for you.

(Golden is an excellent author and she is the reason we have deeper understandings on many of the characters, including Arthas, Jaina and even Sylvanas, these constant cries against her are childish)

I kinda have to agree that Arthas in the Maw is a bit weird. Apart from the Culling of Straholme, which he did out of a somewhat warped sense of kindness, what of the Lich Kings deeds were really his?
    After he picked up Frostmourne the sword sucked out his soul and he then followed Ner'zhul's commands, what remained of Arthas Menethil was turned into Mathias Lenher and sealed inside him, unable to act.

On could argue that by "killing" the personalities of Ner'zhul and Mathias he again was free to make his own decisions and then unleashed the Scourge on the world and this is what he is send to the Maw for (killing Lordaeron and Quel'thalas would not be counted) which might be true, but his soul was still stuck in Frostmourne. Can you even do good if you have no soul? Can you be held accountable for things that your body does when your soul is not in it?

Especially since it should be his soul that goes to the Shadowlands. This soul has been imprisoned years before he became the Lich King, so I am not sure if it can or should be culpable for the things his body was made to do.

There is of course the possibility that Ice Crown being directly on the other side of Torghast allows souls to be sucked into the Maw directly without them actually being judged. This would explain Sylvanas journey too, but with her I am far more ready to believe that she deserved the Maw with the shit she pulled only in the little time between regaining her free will and Arthas' death.

Considering all the connections to WotLK we have already there is almost no chance Arthas will not play a role and, hell, I would very much like him as a companion. He could have a redemption arc, he might actually deserve one. Sylvanas does not.

everything he did, he did for the greater good. even once he was lich king, he still had greater good intentions.

strong men make the hard decisions that save lives. arthas was strong, but undeath and corruption twisted his reasoning.
    If he didn't piss off the arbiter ,by using the forces of the shadowlands for his own gains, then i really don't know who might...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    Wonder if he's gonna come back to the living and/or reunite with Jaina.
    I'd very much prefer the opposite - i.e. Jaina getting killed by some random ghoul during the SL intro, and going to Venthyr so Kael can resume his creeping on her

Bonus points for Sylvie joining her before long.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of wonder if Uther lost his Pally powers at that point, as one of the first things he says in the game is that vengeance can never be a part of what they (Paladins) must do.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

I'm here to say that Anduin sissy.. this all

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Considering Golden literally wrote the book on Arthas with this scene in it... your pleas come a few years too late. For double enjoyment get the audio book and listen to Golden herself read it for you.

(Golden is an excellent author and she is the reason we have deeper understandings on many of the characters, including Arthas, Jaina and even Sylvanas, these constant cries against her are childish)

I kinda have to agree that Arthas in the Maw is a bit weird. Apart from the Culling of Straholme, which he did out of a somewhat warped sense of kindness, what of the Lich Kings deeds were really his?
    After he picked up Frostmourne the sword sucked out his soul and he then followed Ner'zhul's commands, what remained of Arthas Menethil was turned into Mathias Lenher and sealed inside him, unable to act.

On could argue that by "killing" the personalities of Ner'zhul and Mathias he again was free to make his own decisions and then unleashed the Scourge on the world and this is what he is send to the Maw for (killing Lordaeron and Quel'thalas would not be counted) which might be true, but his soul was still stuck in Frostmourne. Can you even do good if you have no soul? Can you be held accountable for things that your body does when your soul is not in it?

Especially since it should be his soul that goes to the Shadowlands. This soul has been imprisoned years before he became the Lich King, so I am not sure if it can or should be culpable for the things his body was made to do.

There is of course the possibility that Ice Crown being directly on the other side of Torghast allows souls to be sucked into the Maw directly without them actually being judged. This would explain Sylvanas journey too, but with her I am far more ready to believe that she deserved the Maw with the shit she pulled only in the little time between regaining her free will and Arthas' death.

Considering all the connections to WotLK we have already there is almost no chance Arthas will not play a role and, hell, I would very much like him as a companion. He could have a redemption arc, he might actually deserve one. Sylvanas does not.
    Can Sylvanas be judged if her banshee condition renders her unable to feel happiness or positive emotions but only rage?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean we don't know if they'll stick him in the Maw yet but I just had a chilling thought we'll encounter Arthas but not as a DeathKnight or as a Prisoner... but as a ShadowKnight.

You know cause Shadowlands and the cringe is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Can Sylvanas be judged if her banshee condition renders her unable to feel happiness or positive emotions but only rage?
    Also technically Sylvanas was turned into a banshee by humans (converted remnants of Lordaeron and the Human King of the Dead Arthas) so shouldn't her desire to kill all humans be justified if it means the same thing that happened to her will never happen again (done by humans of course)?
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2019-11-15 at 05:37 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity