Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Name something you like and something you dislike about each game/generation.

Stadium 2
    • Pros: You can assemble your dream team of Pokemon and jump right into battling without having to go through the laborious hassle of catching Pokemon, breeding for the right egg moves, natures, and IVs; training for the right EVs, etc. You just get to the fun part.
    • Cons: Artificial difficulty. You can't customize the movesets or stats of the Pokemon, so for the harder challenges you're forced to rely on a handful of Pokemon. The enemy trainers also cheat with inflated stats and damage calculations.

Ruby/Sapphire
    • Pros: Great world design. The world loops in itself, feels connected. The stretch from Mauville to Lilycove really makes you feel like you're out in the wilderness, on a journey.
    • Cons: Story is pretty weak. I liked the environmental aesthetic, but the characters and actual event sequence of the plot isn't interesting.

Colosseum
    • Pros: A more serious story. You play as an older character who defects from the villainous team, and sets out to set things right. The antagonists feel like a true threat. Orre feels like the wild west, a very dangerous place to be in, as opposed to the typically comfy and safe regions of the main games. The game is also feels challenging, especially towards the end of the game.
    • Cons: Limited Pokemon. You can't go out into the wild and catch Pokemon, only stealing a select number of Pokemon. I suppose this makes the game difficulty easier to tune as there are fewer variables for the game designers to take into account, but it does feel disappointing.

Diamond and Peral
    • Pros: a lot of old Pokemon got evolutions. Really nice to see new interpretations of Pokemon.
    • Cons: The game is a slog to play through. Battles are slow, a lot of boring towns and roads. Just really slow.

Battle Revolution
    • Pros: Possibly the best looking turn based 3D Pokemon Game.
    • Cons: Limited Pokemon. Unless you own a Gen 4 game and import Pokemon from those games, you can only use a handful of Pokemon and can't change their stats or movesets.

Black and White
    • Fantastic story. The characters are fleshed out and feel like real people, rather than caricatures. Every character ties into the story in some way; even the gym leaders aren't forgotten. Themes about the dangers of extremism. BW also manages to present this story without dropping you into 5+ minute long, unskippable cutscenes every 10 feet.
    • Cons: world design is pretty bland; it's presented as one linear path. Even though all Pokemon games are linear, gen 3 went out of its way to make it feel like the world was more open than it really was by tying routes together.

X & Y
    • Pros: Lumiose City feels like an actual place, with multiple restaurants and Pokemon centers. Player customization. O-powers and the DexNav are also really great features. Mega-Evolutions give new interpretations of Pokemon, which is great.
    • Cons: Feels very incomplete. There isn't really a post-game; just an hour long Looker sidequest and the Battle Maison, which is barebones compared to the Battle Frontier and World Tournament.

ORAS
    • Pros: Soaring feels like you are really flying over the region, rather than just opening a menu and selecting "fly". Should've become the replacement for fly going forward.
    • Cons: Cutscene slog.

Sun and Moon
    • Pros: The story is a step up from the usual. Alolan formes give new interpretations of Pokemon, which is great.
    • Cons: Abysmal cutscene slog.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-11-13 at 08:25 PM.

Platinum - no cons, perfect game

10+ Year Old Account

Imagine if the Pokemon had walking animations so they could follow you around in the overworld... oh, wait

I honestly think Nintendo is going to be ticked. This game is going to fail so hard. I mean really, can't even trade with others from around the world anymore? There goes accessibility and the ability to collect them all without 2 consoles and both versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I honestly think Nintendo is going to be ticked. This game is going to fail so hard. I mean really, can't even trade with others from around the world anymore? There goes accessibility and the ability to collect them all without 2 consoles and both versions.
    The game won't fail. It is Pokémon. 10 million sales before Christmas and 15 million before summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that really confirmed to be gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Well Y-comm is the so called replacement but there is not much info on how it actually works.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

theres a higher chance of the earth imploding on friday than the game failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Is that really confirmed to be gone?
    Yes. There is no GTS replacement. There is only Wonder Trade and Link Trade which works like in Lets Go.

7+ Year Old Account
    so, i stop following news after seeing those goddamn retard starts, lost all my interest, but seems this is becoming a serious trainwreck, i knew things were getting worse for now on as soon they announce no BF in the remakes, but removing pokemons and moves seems a whole new lv of bullshit

Last edited by Syegfryed; 2019-11-14 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    theres a higher chance of the earth imploding on friday than the game failing.
    The game could sell several copies and still be a critical failure. Its happened with movies. If people are bashing it left and right, money or not, its a failure and would damage the potential sales for the next games as well as continued sales for this one.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

The game could sell several copies and still be a critical failure. Its happened with movies. If people are bashing it left and right, money or not, its a failure and would damage the potential sales for the next games as well as continued sales for this one.
    Except critically, it’s getting fairly decent reviews and sitting in the green on Metacritic. Granted, it’s getting its share of criticism in reviews that aren’t assigning scores, but not nearly enough to tank it.

The game is going to sell well. It’s doing just fine with critics. The casual fan isn’t going to be up in arms. There is a select group that is outraged and wetting themselves pre-launch. That’s it. And Polygon just did a fairly thorough take down of the people complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    Except critically, it’s getting fairly decent reviews and sitting in the green on Metacritic. Granted, it’s getting its share of criticism in reviews that aren’t assigning scores, but not nearly enough to tank it.

The game is going to sell well. It’s doing just fine with critics. The casual fan isn’t going to be up in arms. There is a select group that is outraged and wetting themselves pre-launch. That’s it. And Polygon just did a fairly thorough take down of the people complaining.
    Honestly, the critics aren't really a good indicator. They are probably being paid off. None of them mention any of the issues, including the very needed global trade system being removed, and thus, removing a lot of the accessibility once had. Their review doesn't even talk about any of the issues that are being brought up. I can't really find any other polygon reviews that actually goes in depth of the game if they did one. We are seeing a lot of these issues now due to it already being sold in Mexico.

Honestly, the critics aren't really a good indicator. They are probably being paid off. None of them mention any of the issues, including the very needed global trade system being removed, and thus, removing a lot of the accessibility once had. Their review doesn't even talk about any of the issues that are being brought up. I can't really find any other polygon reviews that actually goes in depth of the game if they did one. We are seeing a lot of these issues now due to it already being sold in Mexico.
    the game is going to be a massive success. normal players arent rioting over the game, normal people are going to buy it and enjoy it. so 99% of players, critics, reviewers, etc. you are crazy if you truely think otherwise. millions upon millions of players will play, enjoy, and not complain about this game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11...play-explained

trading seems pretty easy to me
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2019-11-15 at 12:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Its fun and has good music finally.

Sooooo, how many copies in how many languages do you have now?

15+ Year Old Account
    Japanese eshop and dual pack coming tomorrow yee yeeeeeeeeeee

The year is 2030. Game freak is ready to announce the starter evolutions for their new games. Fans wait with baited breath to see how this fire snake becomes a biped despite showing no signs of such a thing with its previous stage evos.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    The year is 2030. Game freak is ready to announce the starter evolutions for their new games. Fans wait with baited breath to see how this fire snake becomes a biped despite showing no signs of such a thing with its previous stage evos.
    Some day... we will ditch the well trodden path of grass/fire/water starters.

... Some day...