Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

AMD 3950x reviews

So the embargo lifted, and the reviews are out. TL;DR - It's better than anything else in their lineup. It's better than anything in Intel's lineup including their low-mid end HEDT lineup at workstation tasks, while performing on par with a 9900k in most games

Written:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...9-3950x-review
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,1.html
    https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review/

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stM2CPF9YAY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3sNUFjV7p4

15+ Year Old Account
    Ooh, I wish I could afford a new puter, that cpu would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

This thing is kinda nuts, very much the halo product AMD needed on mainstream to grab headlines really, not a single reviewer that I've seen could say anything bad about it which is what your average joe tends to pick up on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Ooh, I wish I could afford a new puter, that cpu would be awesome.
    750 USD. That's more expensive than a 1080p capable computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    This thing is kinda nuts, very much the halo product AMD needed on mainstream to grab headlines really, not a single reviewer that I've seen could say anything bad about it which is what your average joe tends to pick up on.
    Indeed, it's looking very good. Depending on how things pan out in the short-medium time span I might be upgrading to one

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    750 USD. That's more expensive than a 1080p capable computer.
    Well who would buy this thing for 1080p....

I would use it for 2k, 144fps.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well who would buy this thing for 1080p....

I would use it for 2k, 144fps.
    Just pointing out how expensive a chip it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just pointing out how expensive a chip it is.
    It's still a lot cheaper than high end GPU cards.

Surprising thing is AMD is matching IPC at 4.7ghz to intel's 5.2ghz yet intel still wins in most games, gotta wonder what that boils down to.

This is why intel is still using 14nm tech, gaming crown is apparently very important to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Surprising thing is AMD is matching IPC at 4.7ghz to intel's 5.2ghz yet intel still wins in most games, gotta wonder what that boils down to.

This is why intel is still using 14nm tech, gaming crown is apparently very important to them.
    Ringbus. I.e. memory bandwidth and timings.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Matching IPC just means that clock for clock, core for core they'll perform the same. Intel has a 0.5GHz lead, so at equal IPC intel wins
    It's still a lot cheaper than high end GPU cards.
    That is true..

The best thing out of this is that it's a CPU that can really bring his weight BOTH in gaming and professional use/multitask.

Since i've yet to build that SFF rendering machine i asked some input some time ago, i think this will be the definitive way to go. 16core/32threads on a socket that fits mATX or even ITX is way too good to be true. But this time it is true.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Eh, i expected more, looking past the fanboyism and looking at the reality.

Price + cooling required + X570 cause you aint putting a B450 on that, we are talking average cost of 1000 or 1100 $ without even counting differences, so easy 1.4k euro minimum at my country for example just for CPU/Mobo/Cooling.

Speaking about gaming, its a massive fail considering the cost/downclocking as expected, 3900X is the sweet spot to be honest if we dont go the Intel way, price/performance wise.

Considering it performs worse on equal even at most 2K resolution reviews to the rest, while costing almost double or triple since you have to include 100% needed extra cooling.

And speaking professionals, i really dont believe there are many actual professionals that will choose this over a Threadripper 3 series thats coming out.

Its a gloat CPU at the moment, but hopefully and knowing AMD it will go down quick enough to make it worthwhile.

Dont get me wrong, i was very close to getting it also cause of the itch but the thermal requirements + reality that 16 cores are massively useless for the majority of the human race still
    Last edited by potis; 2019-11-15 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Eh, i expected more, looking past the fanboyism and looking at the reality.

Price + cooling required + X570 cause you aint putting a B450 on that, we are talking average cost of 1000 or 1100 $ without even counting differences, so easy 1.4k euro minimum at my country for example just for CPU/Mobo/Cooling.

Speaking about gaming, its a massive fail considering the cost/downclocking as expected, 3900X is the sweet spot to be honest if we dont go the Intel way, price/performance wise.

Considering it performs worse on equal even at most 2K resolution reviews to the rest, while costing almost double or triple since you have to include 100% needed extra cooling.

And speaking professionals, i really dont believe there are many actual professionals that will choose this over a Threadripper 3 series thats coming out.

Its a gloat CPU at the moment, but hopefully and knowing AMD it will go down quick enough to make it worthwhile.

Dont get me wrong, i was very close to getting it also cause of the itch but the thermal requirements + reality that 16 cores are massively useless for the majority of the human race still
    That is bloody expensive in your country.
    The msrp is roughly 750 euro for cpu.
    A good Motherboard is roughly 210 euro.

And linus tech tips showed it is more than fine with stock cooler and can reach 4,6 GHz without too much trouble on stock, but just for safety reason we are getting a x52 air or dark rock pro 4
    So that is another 70-110 euro.

A total of 1030-1070 euro. Not sure where the rest if the 300 euro comes from in your country but it must be a shithole if that is the case.

In addittion test has shown it outperforms the 3900x in games and uses less wattage doing so and is around 10 celsius cooler in the process. so not sure where you are getting the 3900x performing better. It is not too far from the 9900ks in gaming 5-7 fps (some games much higher others much lower).

Personally I am not going to get it. It is out of my price range.
    But all the test I've seen. Contradicts everything you state above.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-11-15 at 02:43 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

This gives weight to the speculation that consumer zen 2 parts have been lowest tier bins.

Why though? At stock it uses less power than a 3900X. So unless you are overclocking, you ain't going to need a lot of power or cooling to run it. That is if reviewers didn't get golden samples.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2019-11-15 at 02:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You mean 1440? 2k is basically 1080p.
    Afaik 1440p is usually called 2k.

Yeah, it's something you see around and it's used as a synonym, but technically it's wrong. It went out as 1080p is base and then 4k was the new standard. 1440p being "half way" got the "2k" name.

- - - Updated - - -

Still have to find it available in italy right now, i am afraid that given how shit markups local stores put i would be in the same boat as you. It's not something i'd buy anyway as i don't need those cores, but i know at least a couple people that can make a lot of use out of it.

They would go Threadripper but this one is extremely good for its price compared to the TR4 counteparts. It has definitely its place.

Normal cases would be fine with a R5 3600 or 3600x anyway. Even the Athlon 3000G is fine for pure light office work (spreadsheets, powerpoint and browsing).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Still have to find it available in italy right now, i am afraid that given how shit markups local stores put i would be in the same boat as you. It's not something i'd buy anyway as i don't need those cores, but i know at least a couple people that can make a lot of use out of it.

They would go Threadripper but this one is extremely good for its price compared to the TR4 counteparts. It has definitely its place.

Normal cases would be fine with a R5 3600 or 3600x anyway. Even the Athlon 3000G is fine for pure light office work (spreadsheets, powerpoint and browsing).
    It's not even out yet, is it? That could be why it's hard to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because it's usually called 2k doesn't mean it's right..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

It's not even out yet, is it? That could be why it's hard to find.
    That makes sense XD i thought it was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    That makes sense XD i thought it was released.
    25th of November if I remember correctly