Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It took about 10 years to finally see what the chapter 1 title meant. We've reached the end game, boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    This manga has been one heck of an amazing ride. Started out with a pretty basic premise of survival against an unknown and mysterious force, with flesh mechas in the mix, and evolved into something so much better.

I know it'll be full of bad CG, but I can't wait to see this animated.

And I have to agree. Eren turned from an annoying prick into a very compelling main character, who from a certain point of view can even be seen as the villain right now. This is so uncommon for anime and manga of this particular genre that I almost can't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

The story was gotten wild lately. I like it, but waiting each month is excruciating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Are you really anxious about the next chapter in Berserk still? I've honestly stopped caring for a while now. Perhaps it helps that it's been a very long while (since the Sea God I guess?) that we haven't really had a high risk situation.
    The Golden Age arc was absolutely amazing. After that, Berserk begins meandering. The characters are unlikable, and it just becomes generally an unenjoyable slog to read through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The Golden Age arc was absolutely amazing. After that, Berserk begins meandering. The characters are unlikable, and it just becomes generally an unenjoyable slog to read through.
    Crazy how people's opinions can be factually wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    People were complaining about the same on attack on titans when it hit Marley arc.

I don’t know dude, to me it doesn’t need to have action-packed scenes 24/7 to feel interesting, I don’t mind slow paced arcs, as long as it’s not a fucking filler that shows you nothing relevant to the story, I’m okay with it.
    For me, the Marley arc is when I began to really love AoT. We got to see the story from the antagonist's perspective, where they're people just like the Paradisians, people stuck in a bad situation as well and trying to make the best with what they got.

- - - Updated - - -

Black Butler is another manga that is progressing very slowly - barely 20 pages a month - but it still feels like a ton is happening every chapter. We appear to be approaching the final act of the story as everything is slowly coming together. At the rate we're going, the manga may end within the next few years.

Contrast that with Berserk: we're 360 chapters in and none of the God Hand have been defeated yet. Over the course of 22 years since the end of the Golden Age arc, the only plot goal that has been accomplished was Casca being awakened. Sure, a bunch of stuff happened, but that is only tangentially related to the end goal of taking down Femto and saving the world from the apostles. We're no closer to taking accomplishing either than when we started.

As for HxH... haha. That series doesn't have an end goal. Gon spent half of screentime not even looking for his dad, and then when he finally did find his dad, he was promptly written out of the story. We're on a boat heading for the Dark Continent, and then... what? Well, I guess we'll find out when we get there, but first we have to deal with sultanate family infighting.

Attack on Titan chapter 123

Spoiler: 

Once again, unless Eren has a SUPER DUPER SECRET PLAN, I just can't root for an omnicidal character. I sincerely hope this is not the case...

Why do you think defeating Femto and the Godhand is the goal? Never seen it as the goal. Guts and Casca finding happiness and coming to terms with the world they live in is the goal. How on earth did you come to believe that at some point in Berserk evil will be defeated . . .
    Because the whole premise of the series is based on them being cursed by the mark, and never having happiness or freedom even in the afterlife unless they defeat the Godhand....

This is why they don't just commit suicide and be free of that burden. And this is the purpose of the Skull Knight in the story - he is a foreshadowing of what Guts could or will become. There is no escape from torment, and the series is based on following Guts' journey in resisting and defying evil no matter how powerless he is in comparison.

And to top it off, because of the genre and type of manga it is, all happiness in the series is extremely bittersweet, if not completely tragic. There is no true happy ending to this series, the universe is designed like a Lovecraftian story. I doubt it will ever end with Guts and Casca simply accepting their fates and living out some fantasy where the Godhand can be ignored.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-11-07 at 10:18 PM.

Kewl premise shit tier execution this arc. So many fucking plot holes and poor character development. Why does Ymir listen to the fucking king after being sold into slavery at a young age. Like character development and reasoning don't fucking exist this arc. She legit had the power to change the world but didn't. Also this entire struggle is because a pig escaped from a pen.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Slave mentality. She never knew she could make choices.
    And it took 2,000 years for someone to give her a choice.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Slave mentality. She never knew she could make choices.
    That bullshit she was basically a god at least kidnap her family or something stop giving this garbage a pass. "Ill reward you with my seed' bitch was a god who could've prevent all of the shit that happened today. At least give us a believable reason not this dumb shit. Like so much of the plot is paper fucking thin this arc.

Write a legit reason between this and Zeke being totally restored for no reason. I've just been soured. It's edgy anime bullshit for the sake of edgy anime bullshit. The other arc were never realistic but surreal this shit comes off as pure fantasy. Sorry, I just wanted to rant frustrated because every-time this plot can get interesting. It's like the writer picks the most boring way to progress. The only high point of this chapter is that Mikasa and Eren missed out on a relationship because of shyness that was awesome. Not all childhood crushes work out. The refugee part and Eren crying were pretty good as well.

Gabi had two chances to kill Eren and the cart titan had one but ass pulls all three times. That's not tension it's just bullshit.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-13 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    That bullshit she was basically a god at least kidnap her family or something stop giving this garbage a pass. "Ill reward you with my seed' bitch was a god who could've prevent all of the shit that happened today. At least give us a believable reason not this dumb shit. Like so much of the plot is paper fucking thin this arc.

Write a legit reason between this and Zeke being totally restored for no reason. I've just been soured. It's edgy anime bullshit for the sake of edgy anime bullshit. The other arc were never realistic but surreal this shit comes off as pure fantasy. Sorry, I just wanted to rant frustrated because every-time this plot can get interesting. It's like the writer picks the most boring way to progress. The only high point of this chapter is that Mikasa and Eren missed out on a relationship because of shyness that was awesome. Not all childhood crushes work out. The refugee part and Eren crying were pretty good as well.

Gabi had two chances to kill Eren and the cart titan had one but ass pulls all three times. That's not tension it's just bullshit.
    Again, slave mentality. From her point of view, her power didn't mean anything. She was a slave, and slaves obey.

Zeke was restored by Ymir. At that point, she was still shackled to the slave mentality. Zeke is a royal descendent. She restored Zeke because of that.

Gabi and Pieck could kill Eren. But they wouldn't do that. Their objective was recovering the Founding Titan. Killing Eren means the Founding Titan appears in a random Eldian baby. They needed to either eat Eren, or take him back alive to give his titans to someone else.

I find it funny that you'd mention plot holes and the like. I recently re-read the entire manga during downtime at work and I was surprised at how consistent it was and how it didn't contradict itself at all even when the plot shifted severely from survival against titans to politics and then survival against the entire world, and how much it planted seeds for future plots that have only been revealed "recently" (recent is a weird word to use when this is a monthly manga and some events feel like yesterday, but came out months ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Again, slave mentality. From her point of view, her power didn't mean anything. She was a slave, and slaves obey.

Zeke was restored by Ymir. At that point, she was still shackled to the slave mentality. Zeke is a royal descendent. She restored Zeke because of that.

Gabi and Pieck could kill Eren. But they wouldn't do that. Their objective was recovering the Founding Titan. Killing Eren means the Founding Titan appears in a random Eldian baby. They needed to either eat Eren, or take him back alive to give his titans to someone else.

I find it funny that you'd mention plot holes and the like. I recently re-read the entire manga during downtime at work and I was surprised at how consistent it was and how it didn't contradict itself at all even when the plot shifted severely from survival against titans to politics and then survival against the entire world, and how much it planted seeds for future plots that have only been revealed "recently" (recent is a weird word to use when this is a monthly manga and some events feel like yesterday, but came out months ago).
    Slave mentality is weak writing. Than why didn't she save any of the other titans or royals who Erens father betrayed. Nah Gabi tried twice and gave no fucks there objective is to capture or stop the rumbling at this point. Stopping the rumbling was way more important. They have a fleet of Marley ships and Marley has allies that can help them find the eldian baby. Keeping Eren alive literally means game over.

The past was consistent but the recent chapters have not been. They feel rushed and lazy compared to the past. I just reread chapter 117 they said kill the founder. Capturing him isn't as important as doing that.

I think Ymir deep down has her own will and was talking to Eren as a child. She wanted to be free and her story made him cry basically. Eren is the chosen one or some dumb shit.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-13 at 09:34 PM.

*cough*Danny the Dog*cough*
    Whose danny the dog. I don't know every meme. I just googled it he tries to get out of the life but has a collar on him which Imagine will kill him or shock him. She was a fucking god with founders power the situations are totally different. Danny at least attempt to rebel and probably succeeds in the end but she made no effort for 2000 fucking years.

Ill watch the movie tomorrow or wiki it but I'm tired right now.

There are tons of spirits and other creatures she could've turned into or the creator could've taken inspiration from. Genies in Aladdin are some of the most powerful beings but they have to serve other people in exchange. A relationship like that with the Reiss family would've been a lot better. A demon gives her the power to escape her own abuse but she has to serve other people for the rest of her life. Her suffering is over but the suffering the use of her power creates is 1000 times worse. A child making a poor choice like that just sounds better to me. A monkey paw time ordeal is just a lot more tricky. As an adult I wouldn't fuck with one in real life, if it worked of-course.

Rather than spending 2000 years in servitude while having the power of a fucking god. Also watching all of that suffering and doing nothing about it. Like it just hurts my head that people think it's good writing. I hope we get an to see her attempt trying to help or attune but realizing humans are just prone to do the same-thing. So she stopped because her interfere made things worse. Her back story is just so fucking weak man when you really think about it.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-15 at 05:06 AM.

It's not a meme, it's a movie of a child raised as a slave and used sort of as a gladiator.

Genies might be a bad example for this though, those are forced to obey by "magic", "cosmic force", or whatever.

In these cases they don't rebel simply because they don't know any better, regardless your opinion about it, it's something that exists.
    But he rebel and escaped that's my point she made no effort for 2000 years. Those are two different situations. They do rebel the Genie in Aladdin did that but Ymir made zero effort for 2000 years.

The premise is great but the execution is fucking weak as hell. He peaked at the coup arc.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-15 at 06:31 PM.

Yeah, they rebel and escape, when someone from the outside shows them that's an option, which was what happened in Attack on Titan.

Also, no, Genie doesn't rebel, he can't rebel, rebelling was never an option, he is bound by "cosmic rules" or whatever you want to call it.
    Ill watch the movie because in the trailer he wanted to leave but that collar stopped him. It also didn't take 2000 fucking years.

Nah Genie knew how to escape and make people waste wishes. He does that in the new Aladdin by convincing Jafar to become a genie. He also told Aladdin how to free him and Aladdin ended up doing it. This is live action movie lore and I haven't seen the animated one in years. I'm mentioning it so we're on the same page. The uprising arc was peak isayama but this arc execution is sloppy and lazy. I won't defend it and differences in opinion are ok but it's lazy.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-15 at 08:07 PM.

Sure, after he is shown there is more to life than just obeying his master, once he knows he has a choice.

Also, yeah, "2000 fucking years", for an "immortal" being, that never knew any better until now someone finally presented it to her.

Irrelevant, it's still not a choice that he could make himself, someone has to make it for him.

This is not really the case here, here they can make the choice, they either just don't acknowledge such choice even exists or are just to afraid of the consequences of it.

You are free to call it lazy or poor writing, but that's just your personal opinion, it doesn't really make it so.
    Also Ill speed watch the movie later. Also both are works of fiction and not based in reality but it's looking like I was wrong about the movie.

It's not irrelevant at all he tried to get his own freedom through manipulative means but he tried. He even tried to stop evil which was successful. Was he reliant on other yes but he made an effort to fix his own situation that's what I want from Ymir. She made no effort for 2000 years that is fucking stupid writing. He pampered her and showed her a better life but she never thought about the people suffering or at least getting rid of him. That shit makes no sense. He children were fucked in the head as well. She just let all that stuff rot and felt no guilt whatsoever or reason to change things.

Cartel at least drug the women to make them addicts and dependent on them but he just was like "yo bitch heres my seed". All I want is something cold but logical like feeding someone drugs or things that can make them physically dependent on the distributor.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-15 at 09:19 PM.

What you mean “not based in reality”, it’s slavery.

Genie never really manipulated Aladdin into it, in fact, he only touches the subject because Aladdin asks him about it, he even states that no one even had asked him that before, and that only the owner of the lamp can grant him such by using one of his wishes, which also never happened before, thus Genie doesn’t even really believe Aladdin when he says that he’ll do it.

This is why I’m saying that’s its irrelevant, at least to the point I was making…

Those are kidnapped and turned into slaves, they are not ignorant about life outside slavery.

Just like Genie wasn’t, because as you stated, even he can stretch a little of “freedom” trough a grey area on the rules his bound to… in these cases, they know freedom, they want it, but they are bound by stronger forces, meanwhile characters like Danny and Ymir have no real recollection of freedom, thus they never really acknowledged the option to fight for it, that is, until someone brought it up to them or had a taste of it.

You want a character who never experience freedom, that isn’t even really aware of such possibility, to just fight for it on its own initiative, and because it doesn’t happen, it’s “bad writing”, yeah… I just can’t really agree on that.
    Aladdin, The dog movie, and attack on titan are fiction was what I was saying.

I was about the first part at least genie manipulated Jafar.

She did have freedom the moment she ran away and turned into a giant monsters. Everyone was afraid of her and she found a new level of respect even among the king. Why she couldn't pick up on that fact after 2000 years is.... She can also see what goes on outside of the founder realm because she remade Zeke. I don't understand how someone being a slave for 2000 years sound like not shit writing.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-16 at 02:10 AM.

well.... duh....

That's also false, it's Aladdin who manipulates Jafar into making the wish, both in the cartoon and the live-action movie, by pointing out that Jafar isn't the most powerful being, he is only second to Genie who gave him the powers he had, Genie even whispers him "Al, what are you doing?!?".

The brief "freedom" she was given was to be chased by hounds and shot by arrows for sport.

She wasn't respected, feared? Maybe, by some, but she was just a tool for war to them, and the only reason why he married her was to keep that power in his blood-line, and since making her bare his children didn't cut it, he made the children devour her entire corpse. Just look at how she died, she used her own body to protect him, she didn't even had to rebel, she just had to stand still and let him get killed, yet she still gave her life for him... because that's all she was ever taught, trough years of pain and abuse, and sadly, this sort of shit is actually quite common in real-life, obviously not really like this but, how many stories do you hear of people stuck in abusive relationships where the victim still devotes itself to the abuser? Just because we can't really understand someone psychological state doesn't really make it "bad writing".
    He death was her rebellion though. She could've recovered but just gave up that's why the 13 year rule came into effect. She might've actually been immortal if it weren't for that. Which prove she was more than a slave. If it so common link an example in real life. A lot of those people are financially dependent or emotionally dependent on the other person though. She was neither. Link an example of someone spending there in entire life in an abusive relationship despite having the ability to escape. Than find an example of them doing it for 2000 more years. Yes, that is how stupid it sounds.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-16 at 06:11 AM.

Dude, ain’t you contradicting yourself now? First you were saying that the writing was shit because even after 2000 years she didn’t rebel, now you are choosing to interpret her devoting herself to her master, giving her life for him, as a “rebellion” =/

Also yeah, I guess one can say that she wasn’t just a slave, that she had “freewill”, but again, that wasn’t really my point, my point is that even if she had it, she didn’t acknowledge it, she was utterly ignorant about it, and you sort of see that when she interacts with Zeke, hell, even he says that himself:

… and if that isn’t enough, you even have Eren pointing out that trough out these 2000 years she was always treated as a slave by the Inheritants of the founder titan, while Zeke shouts shit like “do as I ordered you to!” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fear and terror are also emotions, but I’m not going to sit here and link your stories of woman who chose to remain in abusive relationships till they were beaten to death just to make a point here dude, sorry.

I’m not saying those are the same, they are not, but it helps putting shit into perspective, these victims have law on their side, they have services that will provide them aid, and many of them have experienced life without such abuse, and still in many situations the victims just succumb to it, now try to imagine that on top of that, abuse was all they got to experience in their life’s, that society only see’s them as slaves, property, you have no rights, now laws, there is no help.

Sorry, but our lack of understanding for such psychological state doesn’t make it “bad writing”, and it doesn’t matter if it took 2000 years, it could had been 3000, 5000, 10000, it doesn’t really matter, it might feel a lot compared to her tiny life-spans, but she was stuck there for an eternity, only dealing with a few people that just as King Fritz treated her as nothing but just a slave.
    Nah she rebel by dying the guy said she could've recovered. Shifters only die when stab through the neck the spear hit her in the heart. She was tired and her death caused the 13 year rule. He even says no mere spear can kill you. That wouldn't have killed Eren or any other shifters either. Based on lore she was even more powerful than them.

Not beaten to death but someone who choices to be a slave for there entire life and 2000 years. She wasn't though her powers got her more freedom with her master but she never thought about taking it farther or doing anything for herself. Than how did she revive Zeke? If she has no idea of what goes on in the outside world... Yea he is a royal but how did she know he died. Also why didn't she help the royals during their battle with Eren father?
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-11-16 at 03:50 PM.