Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Good question, is our aversion to the idea of cannibalism mainly genetic or mainly cultural. Hmm
    It's due to disease. You can consume a seemingly healthy corpse and end up with a prion disease.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    cultural. There are third world cultures where cannibalism is acceptable. I believe the tribe on North Sentinel island is a cannibal tribe.
    And they tend to have cultures that are tribal and insular which has two main effects: prevents initial infection, and prevents spread of infection from one doomed tribe to another. Cultures that aren't as insular learn fairly quickly not to eat dead bodies because of disease.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The human race has been doing this for centuries not sure why you think this era is somehow different. We had history books and museums heck our DNA is our road map to the past, Do you need the graves of your ancestors centuries ago to remember them? pretty sure those aren't around anymore.
    I mean, look at the french. We've been about this business of removing cemeteries for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Cemeteries are for the living, not the dead.

yes, as a society we should find a better way to pay homage to our dead.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

So basically you're proposing that the government seizes private property that is being used as a cemetery, for...reasons.

Authoritarian commies everywhere.

I doubt anyone would want his parent's graves to be repurposed by other hands..
    Solar farms? Just buy some land from Northern Africa.
    There's plenty of space on earth, the problem isn't that, the problem is that we're nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is a great example of how we're living in an era where our people hate their history and heritage. No sane culture would destroy the memory of their ancestors for something as fucking stupid as solar farms.
    I believe the biggest reason the ritual of burying the dead came from physical attachment to the body itself. It doesn't matter if they are dead or alive, most people don't want to see the people they love getting eaten by bears/crows/dogs etc. It's just disheartening and triggers protective instincts. Over time it became part of religious or spiritual ceremony and that was that. It's not about honoring memories, it's about a selfish desire to pretend everything is still OK because the body is safely underground (maybe) instead of feeding the local wildlife. People tend to get their panties in a bunch "protecting the memory" of a fucking skeleton the same way they would a piece of art or statue. Maybe I'm just jaded because I work in meat/slaughter.

Personally, I don't care as much about solar farms, I would instead be interested in the moderately better infrastructure and increased parking space provided by not being forced to alter roads and building code based off proximity to a cemetery. Though honestly in rural areas it's no big deal, it's only the cramped cities where cemeteries cause any issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Plus, you know... most people don't voluntarily have themselves killed. Many people die of diseases. Meaning that they're not exactly "fresh" for harvesting.
    Exactly this. There is a good reason people slaughter animals in their prime to eat, and don't wait for it to die from 'natural causes'. You don't want to eat a pig that died from plague, and you don't want to kill off people in their prime for food. Humans have a god awful cost per pound of meat. If we tried to raise "meat" humans like we do meat chickens it would still be horribly expensive and highly inefficient. Not to mention we would have a food source that carries bacteria made to infect us, whereas many other animal sicknesses are non-transferable to humans.
    “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu

10+ Year Old Account
    Alternatively, Golf Courses.

There is one within 15km of my house that has a Nature Reserve right next to it, the reserve's area is 6 times smaller.
    Speciation Is Gradual

It's not like I'll care once I'm dead. Do what you want with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    So basically you're proposing that the government seizes private property that is being used as a cemetery, for...reasons.
    Is Trump a commie?
    Because he has no problem with seizing personal private property.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    cultural. There are third world cultures where cannibalism is acceptable. I believe the tribe on North Sentinel island is a cannibal tribe.
    Have you never heard of Prion diseases?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Have you never heard of Prion diseases?
    I didn't say there weren' downsides to it. I said that cannibalism is a thing in some cultures.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Graves are already repurposed. Although I hear it's less common in the US for some reason.

Most people seem to be under the impression that graves are permanent, but they aren't. They're pretty regularly cleared out to make room for new bodies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post

Eminent domain is pretty popular on the right actually. The cognitive dissonance doesn't seem to bother them, it's kind of their speciality I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking the same thing. There are some huge cemeteries out there that are taking up a lot of land. I mean it's a terrible thought to build on top of dead family members, friends, and ancestors but at some point we're going to run out of room.

YOU MOVED THE HEADSTONES BUT LEFT THE BODDDDDDDDDIESSSSSSSSSSS.....???

and yes they should if the area is needed for anything useful.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Yeah, because cemeteries are taking too much space, unlike other things.../s
    So much wasted space, half filled developments, industrial centers, strip malls...and more strip malls...it's certain that cemeteries rank very low when it comes to repurposing areas.

But good luck doing that to Arlington Cemetery!

We have plenty of space on the Earth because when the next pandemic hits, our birth rates are too low to repopulate quickly. If our birth rates were very high, needing more space would be a problem.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.