10+ Year Old Account

Laptop for kitchen

I currently have a ~20" older HP Touchscreen (COre2Duo era?) AIO system for my kitchen, which acts as both a music system as well as recipe/chat/internet when cooking and cleaning (No, its not near anything that actually gets messy). I was debating upgrading to an ssd since it's been somewhat sluggish, but now I'm wondering if I should get something less bulky and smaller.

That said, would the sub-$300 intel laptops with an i3-8130U or should I go with the newer, ~$400 i5-1035G4 units be better suited for it? I Don't really care about ram or hdd, since I'd replace/upgrade both anyway with junk I have around the house. It wouldn't be for any gaming at all, ever. Mainly just chat, youtube, chrome, skype.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

An SSD plus a reinstall on Windows should speed it right up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really concerned about the 'speeding things up', I was more considering something with a smaller physical footprint than this sort of ungainly, older model AIO. I just want to be sure that switching to a laptop isnt a performance downgrade
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not really concerned about the 'speeding things up', I was more considering something with a smaller physical footprint than this sort of ungainly, older model AIO. I just want to be sure that switching to a laptop isnt a performance downgrade
    Sounds like the perfect use case for a Chromebook. Get a convertible (so you can tent it up if you need to).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Sounds like the perfect use case for a Chromebook. Get a convertible (so you can tent it up if you need to).
    I'd honestly prefer to stick with windows, however I did see this on sale: https://slickdeals.net/f/13566685-as...?src=frontpage

Basically a Ryzen 3 3200U laptop for $200 (though I think it's technically a 1st gen zen fab)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd honestly prefer to stick with windows, however I did see this on sale: https://slickdeals.net/f/13566685-as...?src=frontpage

Basically a Ryzen 3 3200U laptop for $200 (though I think it's technically a 1st gen zen fab)
    The 3000 series APUs run on 12nm I think, which is zen+

Sounds like a tablet would be better suited for your use case. A lot easier to clean as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Sounds like a tablet would be better suited for your use case. A lot easier to clean as well.
    This. I use my tablet for this when im working in the kitchen. Im guessing OP was looking for something more robust and with more power.