Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What are your top 5 and why? I'm genuinely curious, I want to learn a second language.
    1, Spanish. Which I already speak fluently.
    2, Brazilian Portuguese. Sound very different than European Portuguese.
    3, Classical Arabic.
    4, German. Was originally my 3rd language before Spanish, I'm still somewhat conversational in it, but it's not what it used to be.
    5, Slavic languages. Especially western Slavic like Croatian or Czech.

I also speak Hungarian thanks to my grandparents, and some Greek thanks to my other grandparents.

They are OK but not languages I'd ever recommend anyone to try to pick up. Especially not Hungarian, and especially not if your mother tongue is English.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2019-11-18 at 06:02 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I think French is overrated. Maybe back in the 1920's it was those things. Maybe even through the 40's. But I think French is far too upbeat to be the language of love or diplomacy, and its certainly not the language of conquest. We need a language that more accurately reflects how angry everything makes us, while simultaneously reflecting how little power we have to change it.

Maybe Welsh or Gaelic. Something that simultaneously makes you angry and confused to both hear and say... and write... and read....
    The Welsh just sound like their language was made up one night while they got shit faced in front of a fire.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like a lot of things, a matter of taste. Personally, I love to listen to someone from Scotland.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rymr View Post
    The Germans went in dry, the French did not even have time to bite the pillow.
    The French got swarmed and overrun by a army that was inferior in every way to them besides willpower and amount of methamphetamine.
    What are you even on about? The napoleon era or the WW2 era and in both you would be wrong regardless. I suppose that is what you get if you get your information from meme's

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    1, Spanish. Which I already speak fluently.
    2, Brazilian Portuguese. Sound very different than European Portuguese.
    3, Classical Arabic.
    4, German. Was originally my 3rd language before Spanish, I'm still somewhat conversational in it, but it's not what it used to be.
    5, Slavic languages. Especially western Slavic like Croatian or Czech.

I also speak Hungarian thanks to my grandparents, and some Greek thanks to my other grandparents.

They are OK but not languages I'd ever recommend anyone to try to pick up. Especially not Hungarian, and especially not if your mother tongue is English.
    Sadly true, mother tongue is Dutch and never got the chance to learn Slovenian from my Grand parents. Could learn it would however take forever especially with nobody to practice it on.