Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    i have nymame-serverA, myname-serverB, myname-serverC on my connected realm. probably some lvl 1 alt stole your name :P
    Think the change name thingy wasn't a real thing back then, it is quite a few years ago. I transfered to that server in 2008, and someone had my mains nick then. A low level char that was inactive for years, I couldn't change. 10 years later I could finally change back. So really doubt that was the case. Think they updated how that worked only a year or two back. Was in start of Legion I think.

Anyhow, if it was, I still can't use a name on my server then use it on the connected realm.

Imagine thinking world pvp can be balanced somehow, hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    I suppose this is the internet 2019. Where serious suggestions to the betterment of a game must be shut down with slanderous insults instead of constructive counter points. So I guess instead of discussing the game that we love and how to improve it we should instead just shut up and in silence accept our fate.
    I mean, given the fact that Blizzard has a proven track record of not only never addressing faction imbalances but that they also never merge realms, I'd say your complaints and proposed solutions are very much unlikely to have much effect on anything. I prefer my blog posts to have substance and suggestions that are remotely within the realm of possibility, but that's just me. You do you, dude.

Whats CRZ? Sharding?
    it's more primitive cousin.

on a single server of say 5000 people, every person that quits playing the alliance is quite a big deal to the faction balance. and on such small amounts of people, it leads to a self-reinforcing loop until the horde is dominant. but if you have 50000 people, some people quitting isn't going to lead to the same effect.

now of'course the way retail did it didn't work out very well, but in theory if they implemented it better it should be able to lead to a more consistent 50/50 split in the outdoor world.
    the other caveat is that while this could fix outdoor faction balance, it does sacrifice some things to achieve it. which a lot of people probably don't think is worth doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, OP. Dramatic measures are called for: For the health of this forum, people need to learn not to rush in and post every half-baked idea they come up with as though their internet posting habits were a constant, unfiltered stream of consciousness. A little self-control goes a long way.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

it's more primitive cousin.
    More like the exact opposite of Sharding. Sharding creates copies of a zone on your Server. CRZ combines multiple servers into a single one for specific zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I am playing on a connected server and I can't use a name on the server I am on if it's taken on the server we are connected to. I was away for a while on the server, before the connection, but when I came back after I had to change name on a character, a name that someone else had on the other server.

While connecting is not exactly the same way as a merge, it follows the rules of a single one. Though with the connection my server got more Alliance guilds than we already had so it got more unbalanced
    Are you sure? When my server got connected, I went on to the connected server and created a char with the same name and now I have 2 charcters with the same name.

@op Good luck with merges/connections. People will complain forever if something like this happens.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played on- and off since the 2004 beta and then private servers 2012-2019 and now classic. And yes, server imbalance has always been the case and it has always been detrimental to long term server health. Just because Blizzard didn't have the tools to counter this in 2005, doesnt mean they should shy away from using any newly developed tools now.

Be that as it may. Blizzard has merged servers before. In vanilla I believe they merged Burning blade-EU with *some other server*.
    ? Some of the current top servers are servers that have and always had a large imbalance.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    Are you sure? When my server got connected, I went on to the connected server and created a char with the same name and now I have 2 charcters with the same name.

@op Good luck with merges/connections. People will complain forever if something like this happens.
    i have nymame-serverA, myname-serverB, myname-serverC on my connected realm. probably some lvl 1 alt stole your name :P
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Merging requires you to lose your name and destroys the history of the merged realm. It is definitely not the same thing.
    I was wrong. You can have same name it seems. My brain deceived me

Funny though, I am now gonna make a guildie invite my char on the other server with the same nick I already have in the guild. Jokes on them.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It helps to accept some realities though:

Reality #1: Said before, there's tons of evidence that PVP players don't want balanced realms. They want easy wins.
    Reality #2: Blizzard's prime directive on this is to let people play where they wish to play.
    Reality #3: They have strongly committed to realm integrity with Classic. I think server merges/CRZ/anything of that nature are out.
    Reality #4: This is WoW Classic and major changes to how stuff works aren't on the table.

I'm not sure where you go from there.

I won't deny that it's possible to keep people in queue to force balance or not allow people to create characters on an already unbalanced realm but to suggest that Blizzard will seriously consider this on Classic WoW of all things is a non-starter. korijenkins and puupi can handwave solutions through but there's zero evidence that Blizzard will do anything at all like this. They've given up on it completely in BfA with WarMode. Some problems cannot be solved. WarMode in theory is a clever idea but put it into Classic and it's not Classic any longer. So there are major constraints laid down that must be respected when constructing a solution to a problem. Often enough those constraints run into #4 above which is that Classic WoW is supposed to mimic the 2005 game as much as possible. These things didn't exist then and won't exist in Classic WoW in 2019-2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denymeplz View Post
    Imagine thinking world pvp can be balanced somehow, hilarious.
    Speaking up on the issue is a teeny tiny first step. The rest is up to Blizzard. As I said, my post was mostly to gauge the community reactions to the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I mean, given the fact that Blizzard has a proven track record of not only never addressing faction imbalances but that they also never merge realms, I'd say your complaints and proposed solutions are very much unlikely to have much effect on anything. I prefer my blog posts to have substance and suggestions that are remotely within the realm of possibility, but that's just me. You do you, dude.
    We may not agree on much but I do agree that Blizzard has let us down time and time again the past decade, be it WoW, Diablo, or what-have-you. That being said, I dont see how these suggestions are completely outside the realms of possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    ? Some of the current top servers are servers that have and always had a large imbalance.
    Top servers by what metric though?
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I was wrong. You can have same name it seems. My brain deceived me

Funny though, I am now gonna make a guildie invite my char on the other server with the same nick I already have in the guild. Jokes on them.
    pro tip: make a character with someone elses name, preferably same class. (make sure its someone who can appreciate the joke though).

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yes it can be forced with faction locks.
    No it can not, if you lock one faction, and people coming to that server and cant pick the faction they want becouse its locked, they will not go, ohh Horde is locked, ill roll a Alliance instead, they will just try next server until they find one that isnt locked.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    No it can not, if you lock one faction, and people coming to that server and cant pick the faction they want becouse its locked, they will not go, ohh Horde is locked, ill roll a Alliance instead, they will just try next server until they find one that isnt locked.
    That sort-of solves the issue but in a bad way. Atleast of the person isnt rolling on the server to play with a specific group of friends but choose it on random. If you can make those people move on to the next server then we have succeeded in that regard. The issue ofcourse being it affects everyone who wants to play there (like the aforementioned guy who wishes to join his friends who already play there).
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Speaking up on the issue is a teeny tiny first step. The rest is up to Blizzard. As I said, my post was mostly to gauge the community reactions to the ideas.
    Blizzard hasn't been able to do anything about it in the last 15 years. What makes you think they suddenly can now?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Blizzard hasn't been able to do anything about it in the last 15 years. What makes you think they suddenly can now?
    It isnt due to a lack of tools but a lack of will to do so. A lack of will we can work with. If enough people voice their concerns, then maybe, just maybe they will react. But yea, probably not.

That sort-of solves the issue but in a bad way. Atleast of the person isnt rolling on the server to play with a specific group of friends but choose it on random. If you can make those people move on to the next server then we have succeeded in that regard. The issue ofcourse being it affects everyone who wants to play there (like the aforementioned guy who wishes to join his friends who already play there).
    it also only moves the problem from Server 1 too Server 2 or 3.

We may not agree on much but I do agree that Blizzard has let us down time and time again the past decade, be it WoW, Diablo, or what-have-you. That being said, I dont see how these suggestions are completely outside the realms of possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Suggestions have pros and cons. Merging has cons that Blizzard has been on record multiple times indicating they do not want their players to experience. Believe it or not, people grow strongly attached to server names/heritage and most people would not appreciate needing to change their name. Connected realms are a decidedly un-Classic thing, though if I were to pick any suggestion from the ones being listed, this would be the one I'd say is most likely. Realm faction locking (or faction-specific queues) aren't going to happen because there's no justification for it and it doesn't really solve the issue, instead it just moves it. Plus, it complicates the new character creation process which I'm sure Blizzard wants to keep simple for fairly obvious reasons. Whether the current issue of W-PvP imbalance is more important than the downsides of the proposed solutions is anybody's guess but really at that point we're not even discussing issues, we're selecting the vibration settings on the dildo Blizzard fucks us with. Thus, per Occam's Razor the best solution is the simplest: It's to do nothing at all.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-11-19 at 11:05 AM.

What part of "NO CHANGES!" do you not understand?

It isnt due to a lack of tools but a lack of will to do so. A lack of will we can work with. If enough people voice their concerns, then maybe, just maybe they will react. But yea, probably not.
    Guess Warmode completely bypassed you? They've been trying for the last 15 years to make it work. It never did because they actually have to work against the playerbase on this.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

population, raid progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    What part of "NO CHANGES!" do you not understand?
    while I disagree with op.

The part where they have already made changes. Screaming "no changes" at this point is just being ignorant.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.