Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It definitely isn't just about names when it comes to server mergers. Maybe, for whatever dumb reason, you have strong feelings about the name of your realm. Suddenly that name gets merged. Now you feel like Blizzard directly attacked you by removing your realm's name. Maybe you hate the name of the target destination merge. Now you feel even shittier. Then, on top of that, now you have to change your name. If you can't see how that would lead to player disengagement, I don't know what to tell you. The best solution is the one they've had from the beginning: Don't acknowledge the problem and let time take its natural course.
    The points you try to make are so weak lol

No matter what Blizzard does (including doing nothing), some people are going to be upset. That's just a reality. So then you have to weigh the possibilities. Will more people quit the game because they rolled on the realm Thrall and now their realm is called Frostmourne, or will more people quit because their realm is dead?

I think the answer is obvious.

I suppose my original post had more to do with solutions for retail than classic, since people having both Alliance and Horde characters on the same realm is something that's allowed on retail.

Here's an alternative solution: Rather than server mergers, do forced server closures. So lets say the server Mal'ganis had a "Low" population. Blizzard could announce (do it multiple ways, on their website, their twitter, send an automated in game mail to every character on the realm, etc) saying "This server is set for closure on X day. Please transfer your characters before then" and then allow people from those realms to freely transfer off. Anyone still on that server will be moved automatically on whatever day the deadline is.

I know before you post a reply that there are obvious issues with this solution as well, but try to make a suggestion for once rather than just being a contrarian/whiner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    A thread about how hard it is being a white dude is not really a reasonable topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    You will be in about 6 months, when no more Alliance are logging in to play.

As I said, follows a specific pattern each time for the last 15 years.
    So how will that be any different than retail world pvp? It doesn’t exist on retail. And in fact, my entire 3 realms are dead in retail.

as long as I have enough alliance to kill, I could care less about imbalance. Survival of the fittest and the alliance is deemed too weak

They should honestly surrender in retail and live under horde domination

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I maintain that servers should never have existed.

I maintain that bfa and lfr shouldn’t have happened but here we are

10+ Year Old Account
    You sound a little upset.
    May I offer you an egg in this trying time?
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Popikaify View Post
    you can suck my dick.
    That's haram bro

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I don't know what's worse... the fact that this guy almost has a point or the fact that this'll get closed before any real discussion can be had.
    WTF do you want to discuss??

10+ Year Old Account
    they cant force people to play one or another faction
    Of course they can. Hard measure: don't allow create new characters if faction is not balanced. Soft measure: faction queues.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    You *really* need to get out and make some friends, mate.
    I have plenty but that doesn’t change that I want more WAR in my WARcraft

It's their fault for not addressing faction imbalance, even if they weren't the cause of it.

Blizzard needs to be more transparent with populations and server imbalances on each realm. If you dont want exact figures say server is at 95% capacity before being full, the Horde to Alliance ratio is 67% to 33%.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Hard measure: don't allow create new characters if faction is not balanced.
    I find it so bizarre that this isn't the go-to prevention of this issue that people suggest/bemoan Blizzard for not having the foresight (hindsight?) to implement; and people think "not doing this when the servers were made but somehow merging them much later when the problem has manifest to a sufficiently disruptive level" is a better way to manage it.

At this stage, major faction imbalance isn't a problem that should have even reared it's head.

It isn't as though any of the 'problems' people that the OP is bitching about are bitching about are new and unpredictable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I find it so bizarre that this isn't the go-to prevention of this issue that people suggest/bemoan Blizzard for not having the foresight (hindsight?) to implement; and people think "not doing this when the servers were made but somehow merging them much later when the problem has manifest to a sufficiently disruptive level" is a better way to manage it.

At this stage, major faction imbalance isn't a problem that should have even reared it's head.

It isn't as though any of the 'problems' people that the OP is bitching about are bitching about are new and unpredictable.

No one is saying merging servers is a better alternative to your suggestion. The difference though is that your suggestion is proactive, whereas merging servers is reactive. We can't rewind time and have Blizzard do your suggestion, so we have to deal with the current reality. The current reality, as it stands, would nullify your suggestion, because if a server is imbalanced, it's very unlikely that someone is going to jump at the idea of joining the smaller faction.

Most people, if they go to a server now where it's 80/20 A:H ratio, if they're told they can only make Horde there, they'll likely just go to a different server and either play Alliance there, or play Horde on a more balanced server.

Also it would cause issues of "My friends all play Horde on this server, and I want to play with them, but the game will only let me play Alliance."

Maybe just have one giant server? I wonder what kind of resources they'd need to make that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    A thread about how hard it is being a white dude is not really a reasonable topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    I play a gnome in almost every game I can be one and this makes me sad.
    Some folks aren't ready to accept the master race.

On-topic: Blizzard does bear some culpability in long-standing faction balance issues. Horde racials are strong in Classic, and back in the day, this led to a snowball effect over the years. High-end players went Horde because orcs, trolls, and tauren had very strong racials for PvE, which caused other players to copy their example.

This isn't to say Alliance racials suck. Humans have some good racials in Diplomacy, The Human Spirit, and Sword/Mace Specialization, gnomes have bar none the best racial for mages with their intellect boost and a boost to engineering, dwarves have Stoneform (which is highly underrated in PvP and fairly useful in PvE), Find Treasure (free greens, mats, and blues are a net profit in every situation), and Gun Specialization (for leveling, PvP, and entry-level raiding), and night elves have a nerfed stealth (good for ambushing in world PvP and BGs, or for hiding out while you need to step AFK) and shorter corpse runs which means less time spent jogging and more time spent playing.
    Last edited by Thage; 2019-11-19 at 03:54 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, blizzard has been cultivating this idea that the horde is the "cool faction" for 15 years now.
    You see that in every blizzcon, every promo, every dev speech, and the various merchandise in third party sites.

Also, the majority of players used to be teenagers who usually pick the more musculine or edgy race, and call allies "gay n stuff" because reasons.
    Who over the years have grown to love their faction, because of course the game encourages them to.

Combine that with the admitedly better PvP racials the Horde have... and the exploits in WSG, and they also attract the min-maxer players, on top of the passionate ones.
    While the alliance is stuck with all the dads and noobs who couldnt care less about faction pride, and avoid PvP like the devil.

All alliance players hear is "keep yer feet on the ground" and rarely some humans whispering "for the alliance" like they are dead inside or selling drungs in a corner.
    While horde players were being bombarded by passionate NPCs shouting "for the horde" and "loktarogar" and "for the dark lady" and such, in every corner.

I know people who have the horde symbol tattoo'd on them, but cant name more that 3 horde characters, honestly.
    I enter BGs with my Horde toons and there's always people yelling "for the horde" and such.
    Even on my Ally toons, there's allies who yell "for the horde", it's ridiculous.

Of course, this is not so much the case in the retail version.
    It has been almost the opposite in the latest couple years...

But in classic, its almost as bad as it was 15 years ago.
    The initial designers either didnt understand player psychology, and couldnt predict this failure...
    Or they deliberately wanted a hunter and a prey, to keep the majority of the PvPers happy, at the cost of competitiveness.

But like i say.. some classic pvpers choose easy mode(horde), while some few prefer to pvp in hard-mode(ally).
    Cant blame them really. I wouldnt have gone easy mode hardiness, if it wasnt for a dozen RL friends who wanted alliance.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-11-19 at 04:10 PM.

Blizzard fucked up when they opened up free migration transfers for both factions on overpopulated servers. If they restricted alliance from transferring from horde dominated servers and give time for the horde to potentially transfer and balance it out or vice versa then we probably wouldn't be seeing such a massive 1 sided faction on some of these servers. I rerolled off of Stalagg because alliance was transfering off in droves and what was 40-60 became like 20-80 so yeah Blizzard fucked that pooch by opening up transfers to both factions when it should have just been left open to Horde to balance it out or Alliance if they dominated that server.

The PVP faction imbalance is Blizzard's fault in that they didn't do the proper research into the temperaments the various Warcraft races would attract.

It just seems that the Horde races attracted more players with an aggressively competitive temperament. That's the core of the PVP imbalance, and at least as far as classic goes it appears to be intractable. In retrospect that's no surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    Reported for trolling. Not because I'm offended but because on this forum everyone reports every nonsense, so I'm just playing the game.
    I'm reporting your report abuse this very second. You've had your time, felon

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoxide View Post
    Also it would cause issues of "My friends all play Horde on this server, and I want to play with them, but the game will only let me play Alliance."
    Yeah this is the oft-touted reason they won't put any restrictions on character creation and it's like taking the roof off to solve a leaky drip. Sure a near invisible proportion of players that "want only to play with their friend and if they can't roll on their server they just won't ever play World of Warcraft" might be satisfied but the cost is "this".

And people were still talking about server merges being the solution back before August and the games launch, which is what I meant by "Why do people go to this idea first".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Great insight buddy.

sigh

How so ? they cant force people to play one or another faction,90% of the stuff they did in the past 15 years is exactly what this retarded playerbase asked for.DEAR MOTHER OF GOOOOOOOOOOOD you're so fucking retarded it amazes me every god damn day.

Who the hell wants to play a gnome or a human in a fantasy game.Fucking imbecils.Hope u get more shit on by blizzard.

Now flag this,but keep in mind....you can suck my dick.
    New player alert!

This guy must get destroyed wherever he goes, so he comes here to blame others.

I love how people get so triggered like this.