Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Tanks were hard to come by during Vanilla, this is nothing new. I would think that with all the hype in classic, you'd have a lot of ppl rolling tanks. There are forums here for players making groups etc i think. Shouldn't be hard to find a tank there.
    You'd also think with all the information available that people who wanted to tank would have rolled a warrior, but just look at the clowns crying in this thread because people don't want to deal with their handicaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You'd also think with all the information available that people who wanted to tank would have rolled a warrior, but just look at the clowns crying in this thread because people don't want to deal with their handicaps.
    IKR! There are buttloads of information about classes in vanilla, those classes wouldn't have changed in classic due to the (vanilla experience). :P
    I wonder if those same clowns are players that never played during vanilla and only know tanks from later expacs. Knowing is half the battle!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OldPerson View Post
    I tanked as Paladin from BC through Cata.
    Took a break from the game.
    Came back and wanted to tank.
    Only to find that people today confuse Tank with Leader.
    I do not know which way to go in the dungeon.
    I do not know which mob should be CC or tanked first in some cases.
    I am from the old school belief that "If you pull it. YOU tank it!" and therefore will not be taunting off you if you AOE too much or just plain gave no care to threat at all.

People today will not accept a tank that simply performs that roll (put face in front of bad thing and try to hold threat) and no other.
    So.... I do not tank.
    I've joined groups as a tank and NOT been a leader. I have no issue with asking the dps or healer telling me which way to go *if i'm new to that dungeon* but that's me.
    It takes awhile to find a tank sometimes, so if the group wants to be stupid and only accept a leader tank, they can wait longer for one.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    You can't comfortable tank end game dungeons without proper spec. It does not have to be full prot, as prot is pretty bad tree, but you must have enough points in defensive talents as not to be squishy squish. Otherwise... It's possible but healer won't thank you.

Though you can tank leveling dungeons with any spec if you slightly overgeared it, that's true.
    I've literally tanked every 5 man as full fury spec with a shadow priest healer, it's not hard, most of the time I don't even use full tanking gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Blame us for... what exactly?
    Probably referring to fact that you make a wall of text on why you can't tank as fury when tanking as fury is just getting fed more rage and doing more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    No thats not true at all. The only expansion I remember having to chain cc multiple mobs in most runs was in BC. Most other runs maybe 1 mob here or there at most. In Cata the only one I remember ccing for was Vortex Pinnacle and only near the end. We do not CC anywhere near those levels now.
    Except it is true, CC isn't just marking a mob and keeping it in a sheep for the whole pull, challenge modes in MoP and WoD, Mythic+ all require CC, it's now about timing the CC and maximizing damage, it requires some skill to do well now.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    The lack of tools and the abundance of tools drove me out.
    Out of curiosity what do you mean by this? Is it that prot warriors can't perform any other roles than tanking and at the same time got too many abilities to keep track of?

I am from the old school belief that "If you pull it. YOU tank it!" and therefore will not be taunting off you if you AOE too much or just plain gave no care to threat at all.

People today will not accept a tank that simply performs that roll (put face in front of bad thing and try to hold threat) and no other.
    So.... I do not tank.
    I dunno man. In my experience (started playing warrior in vanilla), the tank has always been expected to shoulder somewhat of a leading role of the dungeon/raid. I lead 99% of the dungeons I tank and in the rare occation that someone else steps up and wish to lead then I'll take the back seat but that rarely (like, never) happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Then there's no reason healers or good dps shouldn't be paid either. Not other people's problems you chose a tank and want to act like an entitled douchebag because it's a PITA to play them, because maybe Blizzard made a rather flawed game.
    As someone else already stated. Your value is only has high as the value you are attributed by the market. If you play a common class/role and are easily replacable, then your service wont be worth anything, even if you are exceedingly skilled/well geared. Scarcity is the biggest factor here. Simple supply-demand economics.

Try sell dps service and see how well you do. You will probably have a hard time getting customers, maybe not impossible but really hard. Boosting service on the other hand is definitely an avenue worth exploring as a DPS.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Why do you think every single new class has a tank spec?

Why do you think that role is the only one that drastically changed throughout the years?

Yes it's a giant problem in vanilla, live with it, that's the vanilla experience, wasting time searching for tanks is part of that experience.
    Because they started making the game more casual and it took many expansion for the game to not have ppl waiting 30+ in ques waiting on a tank or looking for one. SO they made everything a tank in order to keep the peace about que timers for dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

So.... I do not tank.
    Yea its kinda odd for ppl to have to tell the guy who sets the pace of pulling what to go pull.

This is why Classic is better . It actually feels like playing with people, while retail feels like playing with bots.

How to play Classic :
    1. Be nice to people, random buff them, offer to help someone who needs help for a quest in an area.
    2. This is how you make friends, put them in your friends list, greet them when they come online.
    3. Help your friends when they need it.
    4. Ask for help when you need it.
    5. If you're a nice guy and people like you, you'll have no problems finding tanks and healers.
    6. If you're really good, you'll get invited on a private channel, with only good players for premade dungeon runs and PVP groups.
    7. Profit.

Have a friend who plays tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Out of curiosity what do you mean by this? Is it that prot warriors can't perform any other roles than tanking and at the same time got too many abilities to keep track of?

I dunno man. In my experience (started playing warrior in vanilla), the tank has always been expected to shoulder somewhat of a leading role of the dungeon/raid. I lead 99% of the dungeons I tank and in the rare occation that someone else steps up and wish to lead then I'll take the back seat but that rarely (like, never) happens.

As someone else already stated. Your value is only has high as the value you are attributed by the market. If you play a common class/role and are easily replacable, then your service wont be worth anything, even if you are exceedingly skilled/well geared. Scarcity is the biggest factor here. Simple supply-demand economics.

Try sell dps service and see how well you do. You will probably have a hard time getting customers, maybe not impossible but really hard. Boosting service on the other hand is definitely an avenue worth exploring as a DPS.
    The lack of aoe threat tools and the abundance of tools as groupmates is a very painful conbination

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    The lack of aoe threat tools and the abundance of tools as groupmates is a very painful conbination
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up. If we're talking protection spec specifically then I dont agree with you. You got Sunder, shieldslam and revenge, all great tools for threat building on several targets, and mocking blow for the odd stun. Also 3/3 improved revenge shouldnt be underestimated, it's an amazing talent for 5man dungeons. That being said, for fury I agree with you, its exceedingly more challenging for tanking purposes in 5man dungeons.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Blame us for... what exactly? If you’re referring to the next line of mages and warlocks pulling Aggro: I know how to control my threat in a 5 man. If you’re referring to the fact that we’re fury and not prot: have you ever stopped to consider the logistics of a raid team? I leveled a warrior knowing that I would be both an amazing DPS spec or an amazing tank spec. I planned on doing whichever was needed for whatever raiding guild I joined. My guild didn’t need any more tanks. I went fury.
    The thing you’re maybe not considering is that you only really need about 2 tanks for a 40 man raid right now. That’s 1 tank per 20 people, 4 times worse of a ratio than is needed for dungeons (where it’s 1 tank per 5 people).
    The simple math shows the reason why we have a tank issue.
    Dungeons are 1 per 5 players.
    Raids are 1 per 20 players.
    If the ratios were more even then the problem wouldn’t be as bad.

Oh and there are also two other factors: respec cost and MS>OS.
    I raid Wed, Fri, Sat. No way in hell im paying 50 g Saturday to respec prot, 50 gold wed to respec fury and then another 50 to respec prot after raid, and then another 50 gold Friday to go back to fury. If you want a dedicated prot warrior to run dungeons with you Sun-Tues you can absolutely hit me up if you play on US Mankrik, but I’m gonna charge a 100g fee, or at least SOME kind of compensation per run in order to make my 100 g respec fee back. People aren’t willing to do this so I’m just gonna stay DPS.

Other issue is that I’m still working on one or two pieces of my BiS gear, and, while it’s fairly easy for a DPS warrior to get tanking gear in a 5 man without major complaining, most DPS won’t like the tank rolling on their DPS gear even if that tank is a MS DPS.
    Blame you for not playing prot.

Warriors that play dps is the worst kind of people in classic.

A warrior that is looking for a tank, Is such high levels of stupidity that my mind is almost blown.

That would hold up if either of those were rare and in demand. As they arent there is no reason to pay them. But if tanks are rare and hard to find well supply and demand for their services justifies the cost. If you dont wanna pay then dont but its a good way to get a good tank fast.

- - - Updated - - -

No thats not true at all. The only expansion I remember having to chain cc multiple mobs in most runs was in BC. Most other runs maybe 1 mob here or there at most. In Cata the only one I remember ccing for was Vortex Pinnacle and only near the end. We do not CC anywhere near those levels now.
    What are you even talking about? As a pala tank I do like 70 interrupts in motherlode, besides all other dps doing 20sh each. Plus hard cc - stuns, dispels, hunter traps, knocks. You miss a interrupt/hard cc in a +18 have a nice time with that assassin.
    Wanna your tanks face melted ? Not doing CC in current game is WAY more punishing than anything in vanilla, some casts oneshop ppl if they don't use defensive spells. We have more CC tools now, but holy fuck some packs alone have more mechanics than entire MC.

Seems to be no lack of tanks on Thalnos. My guild seems to recruit a new warrior every other week and they are tanks almost every time. Which is fairly annoying when we've got the MT/OT/OT situation figured out and we just need Fury warriors who can throw on a shield once in awhile for Harbringer and Domo. Instead we have like 4 Prot warriors and 1-2 Fury warriors. We still kill Ragnaros before he submerges so it's not a big deal, but teaching a guy who has no business tanking a raid how to do a fight every week is annoying.

being a tank in Classic is very stressful, it's not fun or leisure time
    i don't get why people do it, except for warriors that just want to gear up for pvp at 60
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Because they started making the game more casual and it took many expansion for the game to not have ppl waiting 30+ in ques waiting on a tank or looking for one. SO they made everything a tank in order to keep the peace about que timers for dungeons.
    There's nothing hardcore in waiting for a tank.
    Having more available necessary roles in class/spec selection is objectively 100% unrelated to casual playstyle.
    Fixing the fundamental flaws of the tanking role has nothing to do with being hardcore or casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Druids can't tank past level 40+ instances so thats the problem
    Are you talking retail or classic ? If classic then im asking you: under wich stone are you living ?

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    What are you even talking about? As a pala tank I do like 70 interrupts in motherlode, besides all other dps doing 20sh each. Plus hard cc - stuns, dispels, hunter traps, knocks. You miss a interrupt/hard cc in a +18 have a nice time with that assassin.
    Wanna your tanks face melted ? Not doing CC in current game is WAY more punishing than anything in vanilla, some casts oneshop ppl if they don't use defensive spells. We have more CC tools now, but holy fuck some packs alone have more mechanics than entire MC.
    Interrupts and stuns is not what I am talking about. I am talking about actual hard ccs aka sheeps/saps/hunter traps/imprison/banish prepull cc's. Not soft ccs(which is stuns and the like) and interrupts in the middle of a pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    The tank problem is even worse than retail, I can't find a tank at all and the tanks that join my group usually have requirements like being paid or res an item. I managed to finish the entire brd without a tank because I had an 60 lvl warrior who could tank in dps gear, he was raid geared. Lbrs+ is very hard without a clean tank and you can't outlevel the dungeons.

Is it me or this is a serious problem?
    Not a serious problem whatsoever.

Just be nice and respectful to the tanks you play with, and don't be a moron.

If you act like an idiot, random pull stuff, whine about path, attack before tank even engages, stuff like that, tanks will remember you, and i'm sure they won't join you again.

Also, druids can tank, and there's just a huge fucking stigma about it, prejudice even.

Interrupts and stuns is not what I am talking about. I am talking about actual hard ccs aka sheeps/saps/hunter traps/imprison/banish prepull cc's. Not soft ccs(which is stuns and the like) and interrupts in the middle of a pull.
    because full blown hard cc is inefficient. It would make it trivial, but we are running timed stuff, so we have to maximize what we can do with non disruptive cc's and that's the risk.
    Last edited by erifwodahs; 2019-11-20 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Blame you for not playing prot.

Warriors that play dps is the worst kind of people in classic.

A warrior that is looking for a tank, Is such high levels of stupidity that my mind is almost blown.
    Did you even read the post? At all? I made a warrior knowing I would be raiding and knowing I would be a valuable asset to my raid team as either a DPS OR a tank based on what they needed. Turns out they already have 2 main tanks and 2 off tanks. Kay. So I’m DPS. I’m also playing one of the worst gold farming classes. And there’s solid mathematical evidence to support the lack of tanks.
    I’m a raider. Current raid is 40 people with 2 tanks. That’s 1 tank per 20 people.
    Dungeon groups are 1 tank per 5 people.
    If everybody is spec’d to raid, you are going to have a tank shortage.

I ABSOLUTELY would be prot on non raid nights when I want to do dungeons if I could make 100g easily enough in a week (I’m actually leveling a mage right now for the sole purpose of gold farming for spec change money). I make like 20 gold per hour if I’m lucky just farming mobs in EPL for grays. 20-30g per hour off Satyrs for Felcloth in felwood if that spot is open. But I can’t solo Tyr’s Hand elites like a mage or hunter can, and I definitely can’t do Lasher farm runs like a mage.

I leveled up my shaman as 100% Resto, but with my warrior, he's dps till his 50s, then he will go prot, I'm not suffering in anyway before I have to buckle down and go pure tank.

All in all, tanks are rare due to most often sticking solely to guild only runs (or damn near it) as I typically only heal guild only runs (often with same guild tanks).