Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Im even actually wondering if people got their console today since most people seemed to have been dicked on shipping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/...s-chrome-pixel

Destiny 2 runs at 1080p upscaled to 4k at medium PC settings.
    That's one of my predictions of Stadia coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1196488999524802562

This gif of the input response tho.

Seems mostly like what most folks thought - it can work well in some instances, but largely it's plagued by input delay/latency, image compression problems etc. that compromise the user experience.
    That's two of my predictions about Stadia coming true. Speed of light is a thing. Who knew? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I guess it's launch and they have a lot of kinks to iron out so maybe they can find some quick fixes with all the new data they'll have access to from users. But I still think we're a ways off of legit game streaming, especially if we're shooting for 4Kp60.
    About as away as never.
    So google expects you to pay money to get bad performing console versions with lower IQ and more input lag then the console versions? I thought one of the draws to stadia was that theoretically power wasn't an issue and you could get the high end PC experience without owning a high end PC.
    Because renting out a high end PC to you would not be cost effective. This whole cloud gaming thing depends on you not being perceptive enough to see these differences.
    Why would anyone use this shitty service over PS Now or XCloud(when it go's live)?

It's DOA.
    Why wouldn't these services have the same issues? Speed of light isn't something only Google has to deal with. Yes, I know hops matter more but so does the speed of light.

- - - Updated - - -

The video of the delay for anyone wondering.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2019-11-20 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post

Why wouldn't these services have the same issues? Speed of light isn't something only Google has to deal with. Yes, I know hops matter more but so does the speed of light.
    Because with PSNow you can download the games (To a PS4 and likely PS5). No clue about Xcloud they may handle it like Game ppass and let you download games depending what you play it on.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Because with PSNow you can download the games (To a PS4 and likely PS5). No clue about Xcloud they may handle it like Game ppass and let you download games depending what you play it on.
    That's different if they let you download the games. I assume Tech614 was talking about those services ability to cloud game.

Weak strawman attempt. No one said they didn't have the same issues in regards to cloud latency. What they do have is that they are compliments to local gaming and not trying to replace it. What they do have is much better value then what Stadia is offering you. PSNow and XCloud aren't the only markets in town for Sony and MS they are simply extensions of their gaming service and the streaming part of them is only there for when you actually can't have dedicated hardware ready. That's while they will live and Stadia is DoA.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-11-20 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Anyone with a half a brain knew this from the get go.

Gaming through a stream isn't feasible with our current technology. Probably won't be in the future either - would require faster than light communication.
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm absolutely against the ongoing expropriation of the customer by streaming and other cloud services.

But the truth of the matter is that the tech is already there. It exists. There is just a caveat that it doesn't do so for everyone. Not everyone has access to it. I certainly don't. It's not usable for every game either; ertainly not for beat'em ups. But it will work well enough for casuals in large cities that only own shitty tablets.

The sad truth is that this is where we are headed with this industry. All we gain is another subscription and a hidden price hike of 15 bucks each month to acess our 60 dollar games. Every publisher will try their hand on it, especially after the console manufacturers help to make it actually popular (google will most likely not stick it out). Much like with the fuckery that is streaming, either we have a mega corporation like disney buy out everyone or we will be paying 20 subscriptions for each publisher in the future for gaming as well.

I loathe the though about this future, but it's coming and no one will create an "Oasis" in this reality, you can be sure about that.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm absolutely against the ongoing expropriation of the customer by streaming and other cloud services.

But the truth of the matter is that the tech is already there. It exists. There is just a caveat that it doesn't do so for everyone. Not everyone has access to it. I certainly don't. It's not usable for every game either; ertainly not for beat'em ups. But it will work well enough for casuals in large cities that only own shitty tablets.

The sad truth is that this is where we are headed with this industry. All we gain is another subscription and a hidden price hike of 15 bucks each month to acess our 60 dollar games. Every publisher will try their hand on it, especially after the console manufacturers help to make it actually popular (google will most likely not stick it out). Much like with the fuckery that is streaming, either we have a mega corporation like disney buy out everyone or we will be paying 20 subscriptions for each publisher in the future for gaming as well.

I loathe the though about this future, but it's coming and no one will create an "Oasis" in this reality, you can be sure about that.
    Oh boy...

Remember Arcade Machines back in the day?

How they were not suitable for all kinds of games?

How there was a noticeable lag: you had to go to the arcade place and then there was a queue at the one you wanted to play on.

How they milked gamers with the insidious "INSERT COIN"?

Fast-forward to now: you own at least one of them, and it has multiple games and instead of coins you use credit cards.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

This thing is definitely dead on arrival. I don't even know who the hell they're trying to market it to.

The input lag/response time, whatever way you want to put it means no child on this Earth will want to keep it after Christmas day.

This is like when they demo'ed Fortnite mobile players vs Console/PC players.

I never understood why they thought it was a good idea and I just don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post

This thing is definitely dead on arrival. I don't even know who the hell they're trying to market it to.
    I'm pretty sure the current users are pretty much just paying beta testers. Certainly with that launch lineup. Tbh, imho the whole service only makes sense if it were either proper deals with the publishers for large swathes of their catalogue or they'd just let you install any game you want on their servers and you pretty much run a glorified teamviewer session.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Imagine playing sekiro with that latency lulz, tbh i don't think it will ever be a thing for action games be it combat, shooters, action rpgs or racing games where even the latency of ffb in the wheel is relevant, ppl pay tons of money for low latency 144hz+ screens, routers and peripherals to play with 500+ ms ping?
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2019-11-20 at 02:26 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Imagine playing sekiro with that latency lulz, tbh i don't think it will ever be a thing for action games be it combat, shooters, action rpgs or racing games where even the latency of ffb in the wheel is relevant, ppl pay tons of money for low latency 144hz+ screens, routers and peripherals to play with 500+ ms ping?
    I played wow with 250ms ping back in the day, raids and pvp included. But if you live near the cloud datacenter - you will see no noticeable lag. Also in the future when this cloud gaming will be prevalent games will be developed with lag in mind, just like shooters for consoles have adapted to gamepads. Gameplay will adapt to input lag.

Also, you don't need a 144Hz screen for this, you actually need no hardware other than a gamepad.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I like how people refer to casuals as they're the idiots of the gamers. The tech exists except the speed of light is the barrier.
    The sad truth is that this is where we are headed with this industry. All we gain is another subscription and a hidden price hike of 15 bucks each month to acess our 60 dollar games. Every publisher will try their hand on it, especially after the console manufacturers help to make it actually popular (google will most likely not stick it out).
    We the consumer have the ultimate say to what direction the gaming industry does, not the gaming industry. If we don't buy into cloud gaming then cloud gaming won't be a thing. I'm pretty confident that's what will happen, considering how long PS Now and Geforce Now have been trying and failing.
    Much like with the fuckery that is streaming, either we have a mega corporation like disney buy out everyone or we will be paying 20 subscriptions for each publisher in the future for gaming as well.
    Well... there is the alternative.
    *snip* Don't do that. -Edge
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I played wow with 250ms ping back in the day, raids and pvp included. But if you live near the cloud datacenter - you will see no noticeable lag.
    There's a big difference between a client server multiplayer game and cloud gaming. Local client to server games have no latency because the client tricks you. As long as the latency isn't huge the client will assume every action you do is instant. There are some cases where this isn't hidden, like when you sudden take a few steps back in the game or when you kill someone but then a split second later turns out you're dead. That's when the server and client don't agree with each other and ultimately the server has the last say. With cloud gaming there's always latency and it will get worse.
    Also in the future when this cloud gaming will be prevalent games will be developed with lag in mind, just like shooters for consoles have adapted to gamepads. Gameplay will adapt to input lag.
    That's what they think until Dark Souls comes out and then suddenly every game is the "Dark Souls" of this or the "Dark Souls" of that. This is why so many recent AAA games are failing because instead of focusing on making a good game they're too busy looking at other aspects that don't matter. Like Diablo 4 with micro-transactions before actually releasing the game.
    Also, you don't need a 144Hz screen for this, you actually need no hardware other than a gamepad.
    You can't use a 144Hz screen because Stadia doesn't support anything past 60fps. Also you need a client, which can be a thin client. In Stadia's case, you need a Chromecast Ultra to do even 4k.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2019-11-20 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    whoa oh my god let me cancel my preorder right now i thought this would be revolutionary like glass and +
    ahahahaahahah))

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I hardly see how that is anywhere close to true. Leasing is nowhere near as cost effective. Same with this or streaming game services: it will be nowhere near as cost effective, especially considering you still have to buy the game.
    It's true under essentially one circumstance. If you are the kind of person that prefers to update to more recent releases of a car every couple years. (essentially treating your car like most people treat a smart phone). It lets you always have a "new" car that is under warranty and whose maintenance is not your responsibility.

I guess it's kinda like the transportation version of renting an apartment vs owning a home...except a car, unlike a house, will almost never increase in value and is always a liability. At least a lease, while more expensive over all, is also more financially consistent. If the transmission blows on a leased car, your costs don't change...but if you owned it, now you might be responsible for a very large maintenance bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... there is the alternative.
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5Clir2o.jpg[IMG]
    Not to quote GabeN.. But to quote Gaben:
    "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem"
    And while yes, in that context he's talking about having to deal with wait times, it also applies when the choice is either going to 1 website to illegally get whatever you want, or go to 12 (or whatever) to find what you need legally, because no place offers everything

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    It's true under essentially one circumstance. If you are the kind of person that prefers to update to more recent releases of a car every couple years. (essentially treating your car like most people treat a smart phone). It lets you always have a "new" car that is under warranty and whose maintenance is not your responsibility.
    Agreed, and I figured this was the way it was going and was hoping s/he'd respond with it instead of someone else

That method is still inferior to the tried and true "drive it till the wheels fall off." If you want to jump ship to the new hotness as fast as possible, you're already out of the running for talking about what is the best financially. Bleeding edge is called bleeding edge for a reason: it bleeds your resources.

Same with "leasing" a game system. Their hardware costs are the same as anyone else. If they couldn't justify making money on it, serving as a middle man, they wouldn't have even attempted it.

I'll stick to my ownership paradigm.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait I’m confused here
    So they want you to pay a free for using stadia and also want you to pay extre money to rent games?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Wait I’m confused here
    So they want you to pay a free for using stadia and also want you to pay extre money to rent games?
    You're renting their hardware, not their games. The concept is: You're paying them to run games like you own a boutique $3k rig, except you have a $200 laptop and pay them a monthly sub. Clearly, they're not quite there yet (if they ever will be with this fail launch, instead of immediately axed).

So honest question, what were the general hype about Stadia vs other services, and why did people expect it to be exempt from the problems the other cloud gaming services like Geforce now or Shadow has?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Not to quote GabeN.. But to quote Gaben:
    "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem"
    And while yes, in that context he's talking about having to deal with wait times, it also applies when the choice is either going to 1 website to illegally get whatever you want, or go to 12 (or whatever) to find what you need legally, because no place offers everything
    He's not entirely right. It can be a pricing issue when you have to pay for 12 services to get the content you want. Also, Stadia is taking advantage of a legal monopoly also known as copyright. With game consoles you can buy games are retail stores and give you choice when it comes to price, and in PC you have multiple vendors with multiple launchers that should give you choice when it comes to buying a game, but on Stadia you have no choice but to buy from them. The more you buy the more stuck you are with their service, and this cycle continues until you have all 12 of Stadia's games and can't stop because how else would you justify the monthly subscription to Stadia? You're stuck in an infinite loop.

Ultimately it comes down to price because if all these services were like $1 per month then nobody would care, but they aren't.