Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Kay. I don't really care what he thinks, and apparently he likes to be a contrarian dick, so, good for him he has an opinion?
    He was always against the exploitative nature of DC/Marvel/Disney, but it's something personal for him here.
    DC fucked him over with intelectual property shenanigans. He was against his work becoming just another movie/tv series because he sees comics/manga as an original medium that shouldn't be altered to fit a 'cinematic' experience or storytelling approach.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Who cares what Scorsese thinks. Hes a pedo sympathizer.
    This coming from superhero movie fans is ironic considering defending the likes of james gunn...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    LoL I would be willing to bet everyone except for maybe one or two posters in this thread even know who Moore is, or even heard of him.

This guy has been crying about not being famous for like 30 years. Member Wizzard magazine from the 90s, where he said "Supermans power level is stupid, but Dr Manhattans is totally not guize!!". or something retardedly stupid like that?

I member. This guy has been trying to say "spicy" shit since they 80s to get fame, and hes still trying. Pathetic.
    Looks like u totally don't understand the reason for a character like dr.manhattan, in fact ur post kinda proves u never read the comic...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    This coming from superhero movie fans is ironic considering defending the likes of james gunn...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like u totally don't understand the reason for a character like dr.manhattan, in fact ur post kinda proves u never read the comic...
    /wooosssHHhhhhhhhhh
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-11-20 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Infracted for spam

Quote Originally Posted by Silmaloke View Post
    Data, more Data ... how is the reception in China, India, Africa etc. ... (for shortness sake I mentioned the continents and not all ethinicities nor all indigenous people - for shortness sake that is the biggest market the world has. Apart from the piteous few ... what 1 billion people or less that is entitled as the western world. My question would be if most people on earth can relate to the narrative - and forget about the skin color of the comics or the movie? ... because its simply a good story? And why would a good story be age-related? I think every human culture and or ethicity has one that is non-time related, where generations meet - and even prepare to pass along the exitement, the joy, or the horror to the next
    IDK, I'm Indian. My parents never let me own comic books. I never pressed them on why (they were similarly restrictive about video games) because they'd let me have pretty much any book/novel I wanted. My impression is that they were fine with "real" reading, not that comic books were for white boys.

That being said, I don't know any Indian kid who was into comic books when I was growing up (in the 80s and 90s).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not liking superhero movies? Sure.

Trying to portray superhero movies as some kind of white supremacist thing? What drugs are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    IDK, I'm Indian. My parents never let me own comic books. I never pressed them on why (they were similarly restrictive about video games) because they'd let me have pretty much any book/novel I wanted. My impression is that they were fine with "real" reading, not that comic books were for white boys.

That being said, I don't know any Indian kid who was into comic books when I was growing up (in the 80s and 90s).
    Thats odd to me, I had to think about it a bit because I never really classified anything as being for white or indian but comics seemed to be for everyone. My cousins on my Indian side and I loved Batman, Spider-man, X-men, etc.

I was allowed to read whatever I wanted, play any video game I wanted (provided we could afford to, money was an issue). My Grandpa loves the flea market and would bring me comics all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Thats odd to me, I had to think about it a bit because I never really classified anything as being for white or indian but comics seemed to be for everyone. My cousins on my Indian side and I loved Batman, Spider-man, X-men, etc.

I was allowed to read whatever I wanted, play any video game I wanted (provided we could afford to, money was an issue). My Grandpa loves the flea market and would bring me comics all the time.
    Did you and your cousins grow up here?

I'm talking about my cousins still living in India.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...tankerousness/

Because Martin Scorsese could not rip superhero movies enough, I present Alan Moore. Alan Moore has made a lot of comic books and is best known for the comic book Watchmen. He is also admittedly bitter--with good reason--over the fact that as long as DC keeps using his works, they retain the rights to them.
    Alan Moore decided to throw out his take on superhero movies:

No idea why you would say that iconic characters are white supremacist dreams of a master race, I thought Captain America fought those guys?
    Never once carried for anyone involved in Hollywood, its a bunch of degenerates to say the least. While i agree comicbook's are for kids. If alot of yall find relief in it then go you. Life is hard sometimes and everyone needs a break sometimes so go get em. Though it would be cool to have one year where the biggest theatrical release wasnt some comic book movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I dont like Gunn or defend him. James Gunn made sick jokes/comments. Polansky raped a 13 year old girl,and fled from justice. Oh and he has continued to assault women. One seems far worse. I dont see the irony.
    Last edited by Moadar; 2019-11-20 at 09:09 PM.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...tankerousness/

Because Martin Scorsese could not rip superhero movies enough, I present Alan Moore. Alan Moore has made a lot of comic books and is best known for the comic book Watchmen. He is also admittedly bitter--with good reason--over the fact that as long as DC keeps using his works, they retain the rights to them.
    Alan Moore decided to throw out his take on superhero movies:

No idea why you would say that iconic characters are white supremacist dreams of a master race, I thought Captain America fought those guys?
    I'm trying to figure out why we should care what people outside our own opinions think.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Did you and your cousins grow up here?

I'm talking about my cousins still living in India.
    The only thing my cousins in India talk about is WWE.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why we should care what people outside our own opinions think.
    The reason is because people and our ideas effect each other so if we want movies to improve we have discuss the merits or shortcomings of the industry.

Personally I don't find super hero movies to be problematic but I very much prefer sci-fi movies that could be a real depiction of the future. As opposed to just straight up magic and wizardry.

I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race.
    ....what the heck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    He's basically saying that modern superhero movies are bourgeois/finished theatre and not "theater of the oppressed".
    Y'all really need to make an effort to actually understand Marxist film theory before talking shit.
    I'd rather cut my balls off then reading anything about "marxist film theory" honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    ....what the heck?
    He's invoking an associative fallacy. Evil group X likes a movie therefore the movie is problematic as well.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-11-20 at 11:37 PM.

I'd rather cut my balls off then reading anything about "marxist film theory" honestly.
    Scared you might learn something?

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Scared you might learn something?
    I've already learnt enough from the million of deaths the "bourgeous oppressor vs oppressed" theory brought.

Anyone in for that kind of narrative is in for a sick ideology.
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've already learnt enough from the million of deaths the "bourgeous oppressor vs oppressed" theory brought.

So is your problem that you don't think social classes are a thing, or that you don't think film is a medium that explores the dynamics between social classes?

That's literally all it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So is your problem that you don't think social classes are a thing, or that you don't think film is a medium that explores the dynamics between social classes?
    That's literally all it is.
    My problem is how those dynamics are painted in marxism, which is dishonest at best and pathologically evil at worst.
    You gave us a little glimpse with that "theater of the oppressed". It's a narrative meant for noting but pitting people against each other's throats.

10+ Year Old Account
    My problem is how those dynamics are painted in marxism, which is dishonest at best and pathologically evil at worst.
    You gave us a little glimpse with that "theater of the oppressed". It's a narrative meant for noting but pitting people against each other's throats.
    Yeah, I get that most people's opposition to discussion of class narratives is that it's confrontational.

That's the point that Moore is making. Modern big budget superhero movies present a narrative that is ultimately favorable to the present elite and the status quo because the capital to fund these projects is almost exclusively held in the hands of the elite.

Can film as an artistic medium survive commodification?

Well, yes, but Moore's always been contrarian. That doesn't mean he isn't correctly identifying an issue in the current media environment being monopolized (mostly by Disney) and capital for film projects going exclusively to big budget productions like the MCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

So you have a problem with conflict theories in general or just this particular one you clearly know absolutely nothing about?